• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your 2021 / 2022 Ski Season Thread

jimk

@Abominable Great Post! Just want to offer some words of encouragement. I can tell already you are going to be a great ski/board dad! My wife and I raised four kids (3 girls, 1 boy) and got them all on snow. They are grown now. The girls ski infrequently and have full lives, but my son is very avid skier and has been a great ski partner for me in my old age. Your efforts will pay off. Your oldest appears to have the attitude to be a GREAT snowrider!

KustyTheKlown

first world problems, but i'm a bit bummed that my season is almost certainly going to have less days than my typical seasons for a few reasons, mainly december-centric ones

- we are moving to a new apartment on Wednesday December 8. this basically means the prior weekend of December 4-5 is for packing and making sure we are ready to move house. we're going to jersey city and i have mixed feelings as a lifelong nyc'er. i work in jersey city so i will be a walk to work and i come out with a de facto raise by no longer paying taxes to NYC and NYS, and the apartment and building are amazing, and i get a parking spot so i am no longer a slave to street parking rules. still a bit of a hard pill to swallow;

- then my sister gets married December 10-11, which takes away that weekend of the move to settle in;

- causing a likely weekend of settling into new house on December 17-18;

- my office usually straight up closes from December 24-Jan 1, but this year we are open Dec 27-30, so my typical large December trip is out, as I'm taking lots of days off already for moving and sister wedding shit; and, finally

- we canceled our trip to Nashville due to girlfriend getting covid. she still hasn't seen her family at all, so there's going to be a winter weekend in fucking tennessee.

kind of really bummed that i don't really see myself skiing much in December this year...

jaytrem

- we canceled our trip to Nashville due to girlfriend getting covid. she still hasn't seen her family at all, so there's going to be a winter weekend in fucking tennessee.
Ski Gatlinburg! It was much better than I pictured.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Here's one guy getting VERY stoked for the upcoming season!

The past few years have been quiet (skiing-wise) years for me with the births of three kids and of course the pandemic. I got a few solo trips in here and there, like the blackout storm at Platty and some other great days, but for the most part my trips were local and kid-focused. I have skied some new areas (to me) like Victor Constant at West Point (cool place) and Mt. Peter (crowded but fine for kids). Only really got a couple days in in spring when the pregnant wife could sit outside with the two year old. I was on skis for the first time in 25 years having snowboarded exclusively since the early 90s. I'm a terrible skier but good enough to get the kids down between the legs. Have also been doing a lot of XC / backyard downhill / sledding with the kids. Thankfully we've had some good snow years locally (Westchester). And my kids love being outdoors and spend a ton of time outside in any weather (mandatory!).

This year my oldest is finally eligible for seasonal programs at four years old. My wife and I got season passes to Catamount and he'll be in the kids program every weekend / holiday day we can get there. This is the first time I've had a season pass since probably 2000? Very happy this has coincided with the Schaefers' purchase of the mountain and improvements. They've put a ton of money into the place, new lifts and new terrain, plus new lodge and dining, which helps the family experience and means I can probably drag Grandma along to babysit a couple times. Also, getting three mountains on a pretty inexpensive pass is great. We'll be able to do some overnights and show the kids other hills (Bousquet and BEast).

My two and a half year old will be with me on the magic carpet to start but she's a big kid and always trying to keep up with her older brother so I expect she'll pick it up quick. My eldest "gets it" and can ride the chair and ski well on leash; expecting big improvements this year. I'm hoping to get 20 - 30 days in. 30 days would be great. And, given that I'll be working from home for awhile yet, really hoping to get the snowboard back on and rip it up a few days, maybe even take some solo trips up. One of the best parts about having a pass is that you don't feel guilty not skiing bell to bell. Up for a few laps first thing in the morning, back to pick the kids up from school / daycare is feasible. Stoked!

I always enjoy getting on the board here and skiing vicariously, reading about trips out west and everywhere else. After a couple years basically "off" to rear three kids, I'm truly excited skiing is gonna be a big part of my life again and getting the kids into it is so much fun. Ten years from now I'll be posting my own "road trip through Idaho ski areas with the family" thread. Until then, good luck getting after it and THINK SNOW!

Here's my eldest practicing his yard sale out of the gate:
dude I was you 6 years ago and now skiing with my kids (10 and 12) is like skiing with my buddies! No more holding back, we are all at the same skill level. good job putting the time in, when it pays off later it is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a good man!!!!

Zand

Just got the VT 4 Pass link in my email. $194...i think that might be lower than it has been previously but not positive on that.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Started mine at 6 and at 13 (last year) they were holding back very slightly. They are way better than I was when I graduated college and better than some of my ski buddies are today.
dude I was you 6 years ago and now skiing with my kids (10 and 12) is like skiing with my buddies! No more holding back, we are all at the same skill level. good job putting the time in, when it pays off later it is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a good man!!!!

dblskifanatic

Started mine at 6 and at 13 (last year) they were holding back very slightly. They are way better than I was when I graduated college and better than some of my ski buddies are today.

Wait until they are in their late teens and early 20s they will kick you ass. We have for boys with no fear and it caused my wife to become a better skier. She did not know how to ski when they were born. We started them all around 3 and 4 in camps and lessons and my wife learned through time with me.

Back to the topic - we are excited to get out there but being in the east now we do not find ourselves as motivated as we were in Colorado. I will live vicariously through those who get some early turns in.

Smellytele

Wait until they are in their late teens and early 20s they will kick you ass. We have for boys with no fear and it caused my wife to become a better skier. She did not know how to ski when they were born. We started them all around 3 and 4 in camps and lessons and my wife learned through time with me.

Back to the topic - we are excited to get out there but being in the east now we do not find ourselves as motivated as we were in Colorado. I will live vicariously through those who get some early turns in.
My wife did get better skiing with our 3 boys but now they are 18-23 and kicking her ass (and somewhat mine) she doesn’t like skiing with us as much.

speden

Well after taking last season mostly off for the year that never was, I weighed my options and decided I'm in for this season. May the snow gods of the northeast smile upon us. It rained like hell all summer, so hopefully the precip will continue and temperatures will drop soon.

I'm kind of disenchanted with the mega passes making big crowds, so I'm trying out the White Mountain "Super Pass" this year. It's hardly super in terms of number of resorts, but it gives me Bretton, Cannon, and Waterville Valley, which is a nice mix for me. I'm pretty well versed in BW and Cannon, but haven't been to WV in years. With its southern exposure, it could be a good option on very cold days and when I want a shorter drive up from Boston.

SnowRock

first world problems, but i'm a bit bummed that my season is almost certainly going to have less days than my typical seasons for a few reasons, mainly december-centric ones

- we are moving to a new apartment on Wednesday December 8. this basically means the prior weekend of December 4-5 is for packing and making sure we are ready to move house. we're going to jersey city and i have mixed feelings as a lifelong nyc'er. i work in jersey city so i will be a walk to work and i come out with a de facto raise by no longer paying taxes to NYC and NYS, and the apartment and building are amazing, and i get a parking spot so i am no longer a slave to street parking rules. still a bit of a hard pill to swallow;

- then my sister gets married December 10-11, which takes away that weekend of the move to settle in;

- causing a likely weekend of settling into new house on December 17-18;

- my office usually straight up closes from December 24-Jan 1, but this year we are open Dec 27-30, so my typical large December trip is out, as I'm taking lots of days off already for moving and sister wedding shit; and, finally

kind of really bummed that i don't really see myself skiing much in December this year...
What part of jersey city? As someone who lived in Manhattan for 10 years than the jersey burbs for a quick bit and now JC for the last 7ish years… I think you will like it. The City is so accessible if you are in Downtown and your drive to VT should be smoother. Enough solid restaurants and bars. Easy access to the shore and points north/west to escape for mt biking/hiking

While getting out of JC can still be a bit tricky it’s not like trying to escape manhattan/most of nyc. Lots of routes you can take to eject north to the thruway.

KustyTheKlown

What part of jersey city? As someone who lived in Manhattan for 10 years than the jersey burbs for a quick bit and now JC for the last 7ish years… I think you will like it. The City is so accessible if you are in Downtown and your drive to VT should be smoother. Enough solid restaurants and bars. Easy access to the shore and points north/west to escape for mt biking/hiking

While getting out of JC can still be a bit tricky it’s not like trying to escape manhattan/most of nyc. Lots of routes you can take to eject north to the thruway.

downtown, in the modera lofts building, which is equal distance between exchange place and grove street, right on the edge of where things start to feel 'cool'. my office is at exchange place/harborside and i think it's very sterile over there. but down by grove st and van vorst park and hamilton park it seems very my speed and style being a long time brooklynite.

interested in specifics on the best routes out of there on friday afternoons, because i've def been a little concerned about sitting in that shitshow area where 1/9/78/tunnel all meet