• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Official 2005-06 Ski Season Breakdown Thread

How many days did you ski (or will you ski) this season?

• 0 Days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - 10 Days

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • 11 - 20 Days

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • 21 - 30 Days

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • 31 - 40 Days

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • 41 - 50 Days

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • 51 - 60 Days

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • 61 - 70 Days

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 71 - 80 Days

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 81 - 90 Days

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 91 - 100 Days

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 101+ Days

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

skibum1321

dmc said:
Or the gumption to just get in the car and go!
True, but I don't think I would really feel comfortable being in the Ravine alone. Although I know there would obviously be a bunch of other people there.

dmc

skibum1321 said:
True, but I don't think I would really feel comfortable being in the Ravine alone. Although I know there would obviously be a bunch of other people there.

You never alone in the Ravine... We had an AP Reporter taggin along with us this year... We alway pick up someone thats alone on our trips...

JimG.

Staff member
dmc said:
You never alone in the Ravine... We had an AP Reporter taggin along with us this year... We alway pick up someone thats alone on our trips...

One of the best things about being there. When we did the GoS trip 3 weeks ago, there were a bunch of T4T folks there. Nice group, made the whole trip feel like a party even though we were pretty isolated out there.

Mt Washington definitely holds a special place in my skiing heart.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
first, i would just like to note that if you take out the upper outliers of the graph, it is a really good bell curve!!!

that said, i finally wrapped up my season this afternoon by making desperation turns in tuckerman on the last remaining snow in new england with exception of the east snowfields. last year i made july 2nd, but it doesn't look good for next weekend. i am happy to call it quits at 32 days... which is rather good considering i spent 84 days on the DL with a broken elbow. May and June kinda fizzled with a lot of bad weather on the weekends and some conflicting plans. i almost had as many days earning turns as lift serviced thanks to a phenomenal early season. a little below last year due to the injury. many people might be disappointed with such a season as it was, but i had a phenomenal 2005-2006 ski season and treasure all the great moments, exciting skiing, awesome powder days, and pushing the limits. here are some more detail stats:

15 Days Earning Turns
17 Lift Serviced
32 Total Days Skiing
$428.00 Lift Ticket Costs
$25.18 Average Lift Ticket Cost
$13.38 Average Day Skiing Cost

Broken Elbow: December 10, 2005
Back on Snow: March 05, 2006
Days on the DL: 84

a few new things i did this season: skied stowe, skied gulf of slides, skied the east snowfields, skied saddleback, skied in october (twice!), predicted first significant snowfall and skied that day (october 23rd), finally hit paradise @ MRG, and skied some amazing stuff both on and off the map for the first time. i got 9 legit powder days which is 28%, one out of four... not bad!

Season in Review

awf170

riverc0il said:
first, i would just like to note that if you take out the upper outliers of the graph, it is a really good bell curve!!!

that said, i finally wrapped up my season this afternoon by making desperation turns in tuckerman on the last remaining snow in new england with exception of the east snowfields. last year i made july 2nd, but it doesn't look good for next weekend. i am happy to call it quits at 32 days... which is rather good considering i spent 84 days on the DL with a broken elbow. May and June kinda fizzled with a lot of bad weather on the weekends and some conflicting plans. i almost had as many days earning turns as lift serviced thanks to a phenomenal early season. a little below last year due to the injury. many people might be disappointed with such a season as it was, but i had a phenomenal 2005-2006 ski season and treasure all the great moments, exciting skiing, awesome powder days, and pushing the limits. here are some more detail stats:

15 Days Earning Turns
17 Lift Serviced
32 Total Days Skiing
$428.00 Lift Ticket Costs
$25.18 Average Lift Ticket Cost
$13.38 Average Day Skiing Cost

Broken Elbow: December 10, 2005
Back on Snow: March 05, 2006
Days on the DL: 84

a few new things i did this season: skied stowe, skied gulf of slides, skied the east snowfields, skied saddleback, skied in october (twice!), predicted first significant snowfall and skied that day (october 23rd), finally hit paradise @ MRG, and skied some amazing stuff both on and off the map for the first time. i got 9 legit powder days which is 28%, one out of four... not bad!

Season in Review

You forgot "got to ski with the coolest and best skiing alpinezoner ever".;) Next year hopefully I'll have my own car so I will probably be up at Cannon like every weekend, I want a tour. Hopefully Mittersil will actaully be skiable unlike this year. Oh why can't they a cheap teen pass like Wildcat.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
indeed, i got to meet up with lots of cool forum posters this year including yourself, NHPH, jimG, greg, and sled on the slopes and a bunch at cannon including boss and chili. certainly highlights of the season, some of my best days were shared with you guys.

montageskier

I skied 72 days this season. 66 days were at my home mountain. 2 days at Stowe. 5 days at other PA mountains. One of those days were for a Rail Jam on snow at Big Boulder. Then another day at Hunter.

Tyrolean_skier

Tyrolean_skier said:
I have 39 days in so far and I plan on skiing at least 11 more days if Killington stays open until the end of April. Here is my breakdown so far:

1/2 day - Pico
34-1/2 days - Killington
1 day - Jay
1 day - Hunter
1 day - Windham
1 evening - Hidden Valley

My final count was 55 - the last day I skied was 5/28.

skibum1321

I'm going to be hiking Huntington Ravine this weekend and then possibly looping down on Tucks. Do you think it would be worthwhile to strap the skis to my back?

awf170

skibum1321 said:
I'm going to be hiking Huntington Ravine this weekend and then possibly looping down on Tucks. Do you think it would be worthwhile to strap the skis to my back?

Hiking Huntington with ski on your back= super sketchy. Not worth it IMO, it would make huntington scary not fun. I would do up huntington across alpine gardens then down lions head. You could do the summit but I hate the top of Mt. Washington so I would just skip it. The Tucks Trail is just too steep to go down IMO, and is probably extremely wet and even a little bit snowy. You could cut all the way across to boots spur then go down the that. I just thought of that idea now but sounds pretty fun to me.

skibum1321

I know part of the plan is to do Huntington and across Alpine Garden. I'm not really sure where we're planning on going down yet. I've never been up that side of Washington before. The 2 other times I've hiked it were up Ammonoosuc and down Jewell. I also am not a big fan of the summit there (it's called Mall Washington for a reason).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
skibum1321 said:
tucks wouldn't be worth it next weekend by itself, let alone trying to ascend huntington with skis on your pack :-o you will likely have a few turns, four maybe five at best by my guess.

sledhaulingmedic

dmc said:

Well, actually, you can be. June 2 there was no one else in the ravine and not even anyone at Hermit Lake. Similarly, skied 7/15/97 with no one else to be found. Rare, yes, but possible.

Back on topic: 36 days. 6 in the BC (first time in Oakes), return to GoS, Firescrew and several good days in Tuckerman. Other high points: A couple of great days at Saddleback and Jay, and some good skiing in Wyoming. Still, my best days skiing this season were in the East. I'm fortunate to have some flexability in my schedule. (I think I skied two weekend days.

sledhaulingmedic

awf170 said:
Yeah, me too. I guess you could call school a flexable schedule. It ain't that importint anyway, rite?

Well, I'm not in school. However, I have not banged in to work in over 17 years. My schedule is such that I have have the convenience of many days off durring the week. That being said, there is a price I pay for this. I work one day of the weekend 4 weeks out of eight, I'm gone two nights of every week and I have to listen to people tell me about how I "get paid to sleep". I actually get paid to be woken up. Considering how much I HATE getting woken up, I think I'm underpaid.

Back on topic: Don't let school suffer too much. A diploma and degree can come in handy. (Mine still does.) Get that out of the way and take some time to ski and figure out what you realy want to do. If you love what you do, you'll never work another day in your life.

meat

I ended up skiing 84 days: October 26th-April 22nd, all in the Jay area.

Never ended up hiking for any turns after the lifts closed, never made it to washington, snow went quick at Jay. actually could have had a chance at Jay on may 22-23 when the top got a bunch, but never realized how much until I hiked up and found left over drifts 4 days later, amature move on my part.

Good year overall. I'd say I skied pow 40+ days, had some real nice spring skiing in april, pow in october, learned to lay down nice telemark turns, and the list goes on........can't complain!

meat

John84 said:
How many of those were without the assistance of a lift?

probably had 5 before the lifts opened, then probably another 5 after of using no lifts what so ever. I also do a quite a bit of hiking after using the lift as an aid.