• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread 2009

campgottagopee

Thanks Camp and Doc coming from YOU two guys who can really put down some SERIOUS scores -- it means a lot to an old duffer :D

One more day of nice weat, so might as well go for the 72 hole deal :D:D

Score is only a score, and to me really isn't the "tell all" of golf. Yes, at the end of the day that's what "we golfers" are judged by, but in a "friendly" round/match IMO there are more important factors. When I think of a round of golf I look at how many solid shots I had, if I played smart, did I miss it in the right spot so I can save par or at least make bog, so on and so on.

I've had days where I've felt I've hit the ball great and scored poorly, and days where I've hit the ball aweful and scored good. To me, I'll take a bad score and a good ball striking day anyday over the other.

Thoughts????

drjeff

Score is only a score, and to me really isn't the "tell all" of golf. Yes, at the end of the day that's what "we golfers" are judged by, but in a "friendly" round/match IMO there are more important factors. When I think of a round of golf I look at how many solid shots I had, if I played smart, did I miss it in the right spot so I can save par or at least make bog, so on and so on.

I've had days where I've felt I've hit the ball great and scored poorly, and days where I've hit the ball aweful and scored good. To me, I'll take a bad score and a good ball striking day anyday over the other.

Thoughts????

+100!!!! Agree 100% - let me hit the ball solid all day long and I'm a happy camper no matter what the final score is. Bottomline with golf, is that on anyday more than a few shots will be added/saved just based on things you CAN'T control (funny bounces, etc), but if at the end of the round you've consistantly put yourself in good places to score, then that's the mark of a good round in my book!

Personally I use a secondary scoring system to help me judge how well I did/didn't play. I'll give my self a point for each green in regulation I hit and each drive that finds the fairway. At the end of the round, if I have 18 or more points(usually there's a max of 32 points since most courses have 4 par 3's and hence no fairways to hit on those holes), that's a good round in my book.

campgottagopee

+100!!!! Agree 100% - let me hit the ball solid all day long and I'm a happy camper no matter what the final score is. Bottomline with golf, is that on anyday more than a few shots will be added/saved just based on things you CAN'T control (funny bounces, etc), but if at the end of the round you've consistantly put yourself in good places to score, then that's the mark of a good round in my book!

Personally I use a secondary scoring system to help me judge how well I did/didn't play. I'll give my self a point for each green in regulation I hit and each drive that finds the fairway. At the end of the round, if I have 18 or more points(usually there's a max of 32 points since most courses have 4 par 3's and hence no fairways to hit on those holes), that's a good round in my book.

Lucky for me my club has short ruff :beer:

Warp Daddy

I agree that keeping it on the short grass and hitting greeens in regulation are as important as score . Today i had one of THOSE days :D it was a tad windy hit the fairways fine but man several of my second shots "found the Beach " today ----. Weakest part of my game Had a miserable first 9 a 48 , then came back with a 42 on back side . I actually walked 27 holes today since i stayed and just practiced approaches and traps on my 3rd nine of teh day .

'm toast right now played 81 holes in 4 days but hey at my age i just glad to be able to walk it yet

campgottagopee

Warp do you play from the white tees?

Yep I'm a white tee kinda guy Steeze

I agree that keeping it on the short grass and hitting greeens in regulation are as important as score . Today i had one of THOSE days :D it was a tad windy hit the fairways fine but man several of my second shots "found the Beach " today ----. Weakest part of my game Had a miserable first 9 a 48 , then came back with a 42 on back side . I actually walked 27 holes today since i stayed and just practiced approaches and traps on my 3rd nine of teh day .

'm toast right now played 81 holes in 4 days but hey at my age i just glad to be able to walk it yet

I aint feelin sorry for ya---better go take a nap :grin:

Sounds like you'll be up at the gold tees pretty soon

Warp Daddy

I aint feelin sorry for ya---better go take a nap :grin:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Always could sleep with my eyes open :D:D

Learned how to do that shit when i was young faculty member sitting in what seemed like stultifyingly boring ass long meetings about Nothing

When it came to my turn to run the show No meeting needed to last longer than 45 minutes

, Once just for the hell of it i had a meeting in a room with no table or chairs -- man did we get to the point quick that day -- LMAO

Trekchick

Thought about golf and mind games:
I decided to go our and walk a 9 on my own Tuesday night.
My plan was to work on my skills as much as play a round and walk for fitness as I'm on the downhill side of 40. ;)

So this is what I found (I'd like your thoughts on my observations) YMMV

On the first hole I lost a ball in tall grass. I spent some time looking for it and got a weird funk in my head. First hole sucked!
When I approached the second hole I was determined to not go looking for another ball, because this is exhausting when you're walking. so I slowed my game down and kept it in the fairway!
got it on in 2 and had a 2 put on a par 4!

As I walked the course, I realized how much more thought you put into the game when you're walking it, and how you get a sense of the terrain better as you walk it, which gets your mind in the zone for your next approach.
Sooooooo, do you think you play better when you walk or cart?

Warp Daddy

Hey Nice going there TREKSTER !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah there is a kind of zen thing to walking a nice track That's all i did for the first five years.when istarted 6 yrs ago It IS A GREAT conditioner gives you a feel for the track . I agree hunting lost balls can DRAIN you and add mileage to your walk :D .

I find my game moves in cycles . I can be in the zone for several weeks then things kinda go south for a while so i kick back and just change my focus to biking or my guitars so as to REFRESH and recharge . for a few days . i generally play 3/4 times a week weather permitting

Now i walk flat courses and ride some longer or HILLY courses ( have a small bit of arthritis in one hip --nothing serious, no surgery will be req but it can be a PIA)

And BTW your a damn CHILD yet hell you're my daughter's age :D:D:D:D

keep swinging the clubs

drjeff

Thought about golf and mind games:
I decided to go our and walk a 9 on my own Tuesday night.
My plan was to work on my skills as much as play a round and walk for fitness as I'm on the downhill side of 40. ;)

So this is what I found (I'd like your thoughts on my observations) YMMV

On the first hole I lost a ball in tall grass. I spent some time looking for it and got a weird funk in my head. First hole sucked!
When I approached the second hole I was determined to not go looking for another ball, because this is exhausting when you're walking. so I slowed my game down and kept it in the fairway!
got it on in 2 and had a 2 put on a par 4!

As I walked the course, I realized how much more thought you put into the game when you're walking it, and how you get a sense of the terrain better as you walk it, which gets your mind in the zone for your next approach.
Sooooooo, do you think you play better when you walk or cart?

98% of the time I play better when walking, no if's and's or but's about it. Like you discovered Trek, it just seems to keep one's self more in tune with the course and keep you at a more constant pace.

Plus, after lugging a bag of clubs a few miles on foot, you've gotten a 1/2 way decent work out in too(especially if it's a HOT day or a hilly course).

The only time, aside from a tournament, that I'll voluntarily take a cart is if I REALLY have a time constraint and want to fly around the course (where I belong with the exception of Sat/Sun from 8-10AM is walk on/wide open :) )

almost all the courses around require carts...I prefer playing with a pullcart as I don't like backpacks thinks on my back..

That's why I almost always make sure that I have someone in my 4some that takes a beer wagon to carry them around the 18! ;) :beer:

I've never been a fan of drinking while playing golf...safety meetings are another story entirely..:beer: