• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Conditioning

Glenn

Finally made it through the 30lb barrier today :) I had been plateaued the last few weeks in the 25-29lb range and was starting to wonder if I was going to get through the 30lb mark - Goal #1 of 38lbs now squarely in my sights - then I'll do a little reassessing and see if I'm going to try for an even 50lbs!

Nice work Jeff! Melissa and noticed a difference when we first saw you back in July!

bvibert

Staff member
Way to be both Jeffs-- I am sidelined-back is tweaked again... how is it that I do resistance training for weeks and my back is fine-- but I mop a floor or plant a pachasandra-- and I am done-- seriously, not joking-- both have seriously tweaked my back in the last week...Bad shape at the moment.. 4 years ago I was laid up for a week after I tried to pick up my daughters swimsuit.. yet I do crunchy frogs and heavy pants till im blue in the face--- go figure

Edit- just stood up... whoa. Suggestions... people at work tell me ice???

Bummer. I don't have any suggestions, just heal up!

Website
maps.google.com
Way to be both Jeffs-- I am sidelined-back is tweaked again... how is it that I do resistance training for weeks and my back is fine-- but I mop a floor or plant a pachasandra-- and I am done-- seriously, not joking-- both have seriously tweaked my back in the last week...Bad shape at the moment.. 4 years ago I was laid up for a week after I tried to pick up my daughters swimsuit.. yet I do crunchy frogs and heavy pants till im blue in the face--- go figure

have u had ur back xray'd?

speden

Do you work at a desk all day? Could be tight hamstrings messing up your back.

Zand

Ever since I graduted high school I've really let myself go. Felt really out of shape last season for the first time in my life (I've never been very much in shape, but never too out of shape to affect my skiing). I've also had a very lazy summer so now I'm really trying to figure out what to do in a hurry so I can salvage next season. I'm definitely gonna take advantage of the gym when I get back to school. Also planning on running quite a bit just so I get my cardio back.

As for after this next season... thinking of p90x next summer and finally getting in shape.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
So for those who want a kick start that you can do at home without buying a program, I discovered the challenges today:
100 push ups
200 sit ups
200 squats
Paced out over a period of 6 weeks. That should get you going. ;) I started push ups and sit ups (crunches) tonight.

http://hundredpushups.com

Sky

So for those who want a kick start that you can do at home without buying a program, I discovered the challenges today:
100 push ups
200 sit ups
200 squats
Paced out over a period of 6 weeks. That should get you going. ;) I started push ups and sit ups (crunches) tonight.

http://hundredpushups.com

OOOF! THis is your "start"? Impressive!

I hate push-ups. At my height and with my long arms, I've NEVER been able to do more than 40 (long ago...far away). My workout partner found a link for workouts for tall guys. I read through it. So far I'm justt sticking with the program he borrowed from T-Muscle. Supersets (6 reps @ high weight, 12 at a lesser weight...24 at a lower weight. 10 secs bettween lifts. Two minutes beween exercises. SIx different exercises.

So we lift three days per week...and do rowing or basketball etc the other two. Rowing....deadly.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
OOOF! THis is your "start"? Impressive!

No, the goal is to do 100 push-ups, 200 sit-ups, 200 squats consecutively. My start was 8 push-ups and 70 sit-ups (did not do the squats exhaustion test yet). :oops: I hate push-ups, too, but they do work.

MR. evil

No, the goal is to do 100 push-ups, 200 sit-ups, 200 squats consecutively. My start was 8 push-ups and 70 sit-ups (did not do the squats exhaustion test yet). :oops: I hate push-ups, too, but they do work.
If your going to be doing allot of push ups make sure you get some push up stands. I got mine for about $20 at Dicks. They really make push ups nicer to your wrists.

Madroch

Returning from week at the beach- no strength training and only light cardio has greatly helped the back- with some pharma help. BB- yes had the tests years ago- disk issue- told to lose weight (done- 40+ lbs since first issue) and increase core strength (working on it). Odd though- best shape of my life when a pretty decent flare up arises-
One more week of rest and then back to it- on the plus- appear to be a 30w during shopping for pants on vaca- don't remember the last time I was there. 28 is next-

legalskier

With all this heat I've been staying cool by eating ice cream. Way too much ice cream. Lots of flavors.
Not good.

Then again, it is good. :-?

drjeff

After a month off, I'm back at the gym. Playing soccer tonight -- then heading to the bar to do 12 oz. lifts.

With a month off from the gym, I think that's smart to start back into things easily with the 12oz lifts for a few days before doing the heavy lifting of the 16oz'ers! :beer: :)

Madroch

After finishing p90, took three weeks off and than did a week of cardio only to get the rust out. Starting Rd 2 of p90 next week for pre-season conditioning- that should take me to early december- than legs only as the season gets under way.

gmcunni

After finishing p90, took three weeks off and than did a week of cardio only to get the rust out. Starting Rd 2 of p90 next week for pre-season conditioning- that should take me to early december- than legs only as the season gets under way.

since you are starting 2nd round of p90 is it fair to say you are happy with it?

Anklebiter

I finally started working out again on August 1, when my son started football practice. I've been alternating biking and running almost everyday for the last two weeks. Normally, I be back up to 5 or 6 miles runs by now, but it's been slow. I haven't been on the scale yet and probably won't for a while. My wife says, I look like I've lost weight, but I don't feel like I have. Once, I knock about 20 lbs off, I'll start working out with weights.

Question- What exercise can I do for my quads? Even when I was running 40 miles a week and squating. My quads would burn terribly on the slopes. Is there a good exercise to built endurance?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think a great overall leg exercise is a simple lunge exercise. grab a pair of 15 pound kettles or dumbells and lunge walk 50 feet, turn around a come back. try and get as low as you can such that your forward lunging leg is at a full 90 degree angle at the knee. not only good for the legs, but also the core/balance muscles