• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Conditioning

wa-loaf

Running and Mtn biking for me this season. Maybe as Fall rolls around I'll try adding some lunges/balance stuff.

drjeff

Running and Mtn biking for me this season. Maybe as Fall rolls around I'll try adding some lunges/balance stuff.

Same stuff for me - my wife is also trying to convince me to do some swimming so I can enter the triathalon at Mount Snow this summer - I think I'll just stick with my land based sports/work outs thought for now :)

My routine:

Monday: AM 30 minute treadmill session(3 to 3.5 miles total)/PM 30-60 minute exercise bike session
Tuesday: 6 to 8 miles on the MTB (weather permitting) or 60 minutes on the exercise bike
Wednesday: see Monday's routine
Thursday: 60 minutes on the exercise bike
Friday: see Monday's routine (although I sometimes try for a PM MTB ride instead of the exercise bike)
Saturday: 4 to 5 mile run
Sunday: 10 ish miles on the MTB

Every 10 to 14 days I'll skip a day due to either schedule issues or just because my legs need a rest

Edd

Over the past year or two I've turned to home workouts completely. It's a mix of:

a 20 minute yoga workout
a couple different routines on my Total Gym
a Billy Blanks Tae Bo DVD
the Perfect Pushups

I don't do certain things on specific days but instead mix it up.

CTEagle

Legs workout

riding a single speed bike. climbing hills on a single speed kills the legs. Hopefully when ski season rolls around the legs will be steel!!!

Madroch

Sometimes I tune into the Namaste Yoga show on FitTV; it's only 30 minutes and runs several times each day. It isn't too hard, and with those women on the show it sure isn't boring.
:beer:

Tuned in--- nice! Next round of p90x I will substitute Namaste for Yoga X-- No Yoga this round--- lame, I know.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Joined the gym last November and was somewhat committed throughout the season going 2-3 days a week. Since April I've been much more committed averaging 5 to 6 days a week. Usually go for about an hour and a half each morning. 45 minutes worth of weights, 45 worth of cardio. Also try and play Tennis once a weekend.

Haven't really deviated from this plan. Minor adjustments in how I lift, but still going strong.

So far, I'm pretty happy with my results. At the start of last ski season I weighed in at 208. At the end of the season, 200. Today I'm 188. :)

I would love to get down to 175, but don't think I can accomplish that without serious changes to my diet that I'm unwilling to do. I think 180 is pretty realistic for the start of the season if I stay committed. Can't wait to see how the combination of increased strength with less baggage to lug around helps with my stamina on the hill. :daffy:

Without question this is the longest I've committed myself to an exercise regime in my life. Hopefully I don't fall off the wagon and keep this as a permanent life style change.

dmc

I better start drinking now - I always feel like I'm not ready for doing shots when ski season starts. I need to make a plan..

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
323664846_c762bc5ac9.jpg

since the bike broke

bvibert

Staff member
Haven't really deviated from this plan. Minor adjustments in how I lift, but still going strong.

So far, I'm pretty happy with my results. At the start of last ski season I weighed in at 208. At the end of the season, 200. Today I'm 188. :)

I would love to get down to 175, but don't think I can accomplish that without serious changes to my diet that I'm unwilling to do. I think 180 is pretty realistic for the start of the season if I stay committed. Can't wait to see how the combination of increased strength with less baggage to lug around helps with my stamina on the hill. :daffy:

Without question this is the longest I've committed myself to an exercise regime in my life. Hopefully I don't fall off the wagon and keep this as a permanent life style change.
Nice work, keep it up! That's inspirational!

wa-loaf

Nice, I'm down to 200 from the 220 I was the AZ Summit. I'd like to lose another ten by the fall. I'm careful what I eat on weekdays and running 10+ miles a week( trying to ratchet that up some). Weekends I drink beer and eat less carefully ...

drjeff

Nice, I'm down to 200 from the 220 I was the AZ Summit. I'd like to lose another ten by the fall. I'm careful what I eat on weekdays and running 10+ miles a week( trying to ratchet that up some). Weekends I drink beer and eat less carefully ...

Solid work there Wa-Loaf!! Keep up the great effort!

deadheadskier

Staff member

good job

liquid calories are my weakness. I find it much easier to say no to the third piece of pizza than to say no to the thirteenth beer. :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Nice job, guys! I think I'm finding some of what you lost. :oops: But I'm enjoying baking and making ice cream.

Really need to get out more but I'm having childcare difficulties right now.

o3jeff

I'm down about 8 lbs(another 2 to go to get to 175 were the Dr. said I should be), just a lot of watching what I eat and trying to put a lot of miles in on the bike.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm the same height as you Jeff and I'd love to get to 175. What's kind of disheartening is many 'guides' say that 175 is still 'heavy' for a man at 5'8".

drjeff

good job

liquid calories are my weakness. I find it much easier to say no to the third piece of pizza than to say no to the thirteenth beer. :lol:

I hear you on that 13th beer thing there DHS! ;) :beer: :lol:

Been good so far this summer. Down 25lbs (going to shoot for atleast 13 more so that I can loose 38 while I'm still 38 :rolleyes: ) and then at that point, I'll reasses things and likely try and reach 50lbs which would get me down to 196 from my post ski season beer/bad eating habits ballooning upto 246 :eek: :eek:

Lots of biking, both mtb and recumbent stationary bike in my basement, and running and good old fashioned paying attention to both the quantity and "quality" of the foods and beverages I'm consuming is what's done it for me