• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Leaving Skis and Boards on the Ground - WTF

Smellytele

only when I see some a$$hole deliberately vandalizing somebody elses private property.

Obviously these people don't care enough about there own stuff to pick it up. If they left there skis in the middle of the road I might run them over as well. I don't go out of my way to walk through the skis but sometimes you have no choice.

It comes down to PICK UP YOUR SHIT!

boston_e

This thread is so good it actually has it's own spin off!

That might be a first!

Smelly - I hope you know I'm only joking around... but that being said, as someone else mentioned, it is really poor form if you actually go out of your way to step on someones skis just because you don't like where they left them.

Reality is that in most places when it is busy there is just not enough rack space, and that is when the ski garden begins to grow around the rack area... kind of is what it is and shouldn't be a big deal

MadMadWorld

Obviously these people don't care enough about there own stuff to pick it up. If they left there skis in the middle of the road I might run them over as well. I don't go out of my way to walk through the skis but sometimes you have no choice.

It comes down to PICK UP YOUR SHIT!

Sounds like someone recently slipped on one of the kids skateboards in the driveway!

C-Rex

It's better than those people that walked into the line and then drop their skis or board to click in. That bugs the shit out of me.

boston_e

It's better than those people that walked into the line and then drop their skis or board to click in. That bugs the shit out of me.

Are they cutting the line? Causing empty chairs to go by? If they get at the end of the line, then click in, and don't hold up the line then why would this be an issue?

C-Rex

Are they cutting the line? Causing empty chairs to go by? If they get at the end of the line, then click in, and don't hold up the line then why would this be an issue?

If that's the case its not really a problem, just annoying to me. But more often than not they are holding up the line.

C-Rex

You guys need to get out and ski.

No argument here. I've been on a drought for the past 3 weeks and it has definitely made me grumpy. After the powder days, the freeze/thaw/freeze stuff just didn't appeal to me. I'm so happy to be getting back out tomorrow.

I don't really care if people leave ski's on the ground as long as they're out of the way. If you leave them in the middle of a traffic area, don't get mad at me when I step on them.

MadMadWorld

My one exception is on powder days. Feel free to leave them strewn in front of the lodge all day for all I care. As long as they are not on your feet tracking out the goods then I'm happy.

dlague

Here is an example of poor usage of space! Could easily ski to the fence and lean skis against it. Choice, ski between then or over them?
skis.jpg

I kind of understand when the racks are like this. Do not want to scratch the top sheets (I could care less)
P1130191.jpg

This is now typical at lunch time
6546.jpg

Rambo

It appears as though very few people bother to lock their skis up. Doesn't take a thief but a second to grab a pair of skis and disappear.

BenedictGomez

I didn't even know anyone used those or what the official name of that product was called

I have only seen one person use one of those, ever. I don't think the majority of skiers have any clue that those locks exist.

I can confirm you two could be more observant. Go by those racks at lunch, and you'll definitely see them in use.

FYI, it's a fantastic invention, and way easier and lighter than having to carry around a cable lock as I did in the pre Skikeydays.

Smellytele

It appears as though very few people bother to lock their skis up. Doesn't take a thief but a second to grab a pair of skis and disappear.

Boards are stolen more often at my local hill. Never even heard of skis being stolen there but 1 or 2 boards a weekend are. Another advantage of having tele's - no one wants those anyway. :)

boston_e

Here is an example of poor usage of space! Could easily ski to the fence and lean skis against it. Choice, ski between then or over them?
View attachment 11740

Although against the fence there is no "divider" to keep the skis from all toppling over like dominos.

I kind of understand when the racks are like this. Do not want to scratch the top sheets (I could care less)
View attachment 11742

Which is pretty much how every rack area looks on a weekend around lunchtime. Maybe the root of this "problem" (if it is a problem) is the ski areas not offering enough rack space?