• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Verizon wireless new rate plans

skijay

Has anybody seen these yet? From what I understand if you have the $29.99 unlimited data plan you can continue with it when your contract expires and upgrade to a new phone and want to pay the un-subsidized price of the phone which for an iPhone is an extra $400. The new data rate plans are sold in increments of 1gb and can be shared between devices and starts at $50. I am not due for an upgrade until December, and if I do I think paying $400 + the cost of the phone and $29.99 monthly for unlimited data for 24 months is much cheaper than paying $199 for a new phone and $50 for 1gb of data when I do average 2 - 3 gb monthly. Each gb of data is $10 monthly. Am I understanding the new plans??

bvibert

Staff member
I think you're reading it wrong, from Verizon's site:

Data for Smartphones & Basic Phones
Data Allowance How much do I need? Monthly Access Overage
Pay As You Go (For Basic Phones Only) $1.99/MB – Personal Email $5
75MB (For Basic Phones Only) $10 $10/75MB
2GB $30 $10/1GB
5GB $50 $10/1GB
10GB $80 $10/1GB

The formatting got screwed up, but basically for the $30 you're used to paying for unlimited you get 2GB/mo, if you need more than that you can upgrade to the 5GB/mo plan ($50), or pay a $10 overage fee for every 1GB you go over.

skijay

All have to look later when on a computer. Those rates sound like post $29.99 unlimited data and the pre 6/28/2012 plans. Hopefully I'm wrong.

bvibert

Staff member
If you're considering not renewing your contract to avoid losing the unlimited data I'd look into buying a phone on eBay or something instead of paying Verizon full retail.

bvibert

Staff member
All have to look later when on a computer. Those rates sound like post $29.99 unlimited data and the pre 6/28/2012 plans. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I wasn't aware that another change in plans was coming tomorrow.

bvibert

Staff member
I should probably learn to do my research before I open my mouth. It looks like you may be right...

ScottySkis

Dam i really need to upgrade my phone is old, but i do not like these price increases from Verizon, i probably go with t mobile, hope their service is good in mid hudson valley.

thetrailboss

Staff member
= Verizon Fail. They should have thought about the demand for data before selling "unlimited" plans. They just look dumb now by pulling it. It's too bad that there is not a more viable competitor. The other providers just don't seem to cut it.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Dam i really need to upgrade my phone is old, but i do not like these price increases from Verizon, i probably go with t mobile, hope their service is good in mid hudson valley.

Sprint.... Also, any plan you get should give you a 30 day trial period that allows you to get out of contract. Just be sure that includes phone and all equipment (without restocking fees)

ScottySkis

Sprint.... Also, any plan you get should give you a 30 day trial period that allows you to get out of contract. Just be sure that includes phone and all equipment (without restocking fees)
thanks i was thinking of Sprint to but I had them for like 8 years before I went Verizon, they were okay service wise, but I heard they got better.