• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Cars

o3jeff

I like the Honda Elements, its looks have grown on me. I have been thinking of getting rid of my car and getting one. Looking online at used ones they really seem to hold their value.

nelsapbm

I have been VERY happy with my 07 Honda CRV. I wanted something with 4wd or AWD as I have a driveway from hell and a fairly long, hilly, commute. It came down to a CRV vs. Outback vs. Forester and the CRV won out. Its got "real time" 4WD so its in 2wd until it feels slippage, then kicks in the 4wd automatically. I get about 25-26 mpg on my commute (17 miles one way) and about 21-23 ish when I poke around town. I get 28ish on the interstate. I found it to be much more comfy than the subaru, and being a previous Honda owner, I was sold. It kicks butt in the snow (the Blizzaks are going back on in a couple weeks).
Test drive, test drive, test drive. Thats the only way you'll know for sure if its a car you can be comfortable in/with.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Ugh... don't tell me VAG is falling into that trap.

What's next? The new 2009 Audi S4 is really a Chevy Cobalt? :puke:

-w

The 1st time I saw the Routon on TV, I said its a Dodge Caravan. I should know, my company car is a 08. How can they call that German engineering! Oh wait, the Dodge was engineered while they still part of Diamler...:-o

wa-loaf

Well, I have no desire to buy a mini-van ever, so I won't whine too much.

Hopefully they won't decide it's something they should do more of (particularly with the A4 / S4 line).

-w

I don't see that happening. But it is kinda odd because they already have several mini-vans in the line-up in Europe.

hammer

Really???? The Matrix would be a compete with the Impreza line-up not the Forester and Outback that we have been speaking of.....just sayin'
+1

I test drove a Matrix about a month ago...it was a pleasant car. It had decent (but not exciting) pickup, it was a bit small in the back (I was concerned about fitting ski gear for 4 in there), and the interior room was good as long as you didn't get the moon roof (I'm only 5'9" though).

I haven't done a test drive on the Impreza yet but I'd guess it has similar interior space. When I do finally decide to pull the trigger on a new car, I do wonder if I'll just end up getting another Outback.

bvibert

Staff member

snoseek

+1!

I'm 6'4" I do not fit in the backseat of a matrix (or a bunch of other cars for that matter).

One of my fiends has one.

We've used it when we all go somewhere a few times. I have to get shotgun or drive, it's the only way it works.

The AC outlet in the dash is pretty cool though.

-w

It's all what you're used to I guess. I'm 6'1" and comfortably drive a little Civic around.

snoseek

Really???? The Matrix would be a compete with the Impreza line-up not the Forester and Outback that we have been speaking of.....just sayin'

In what way? If your talking overall I'll show you a japanese car in my driveway that just tipped 300k and runs perfectly-original motor and transmission. I guess I have different priorities in cars than many.

How much is an Outback anyway 30k maybe?

WJenness

It's all what you're used to I guess. I'm 6'1" and comfortably drive a little Civic around.

Like I said, driving is fine.

It's the lack of headroom in the backseats of most cars that gets me. When I have to slouch and tilt my head to the side, it's annoying after anything more than a half hour...

And it's not all small cars. My buddy has a Mazda 3, I can fit in the back of that fine, as well as my roommate's Yaris.

There's just no headroom in the backseat of a Matrix.

-w

Beetlenut

I've been driving an AWD Mitisushi Outlander for 3 years and like the car, specially in the snow. You can get a loaded one of those for around $25k. Good headroom, and decent leg room in the rear. I get around 25 city and 28 highway.

bvibert

Staff member
Like I said, driving is fine.

It's the lack of headroom in the backseats of most cars that gets me. When I have to slouch and tilt my head to the side, it's annoying after anything more than a half hour...

And it's not all small cars. My buddy has a Mazda 3, I can fit in the back of that fine, as well as my roommate's Yaris.

There's just no headroom in the backseat of a Matrix.

-w

Being tall and sitting in the back of most cars doesn't usually work too well for me, if it's not the head room it's the leg room. I've been tortured in the back seat of even some SUV due to lack of leg room. Luckily I don't have to ride in the back seat of cars very often. In the rare occasion that I'm riding in someone else's car I'm usually offered the front seat.

campgottagopee

In what way? If your talking overall I'll show you a japanese car in my driveway that just tipped 300k and runs perfectly-original motor and transmission. I guess I have different priorities in cars than many.

How much is an Outback anyway 30k maybe?

Was talking size and car segment, meaning the Matrix is a h-back, or 5 door (like Impreza's), along with pricing. Impreza line is direct competitor of the Matrix, Rav4 is competitor of the Forester(suv's)---that's what I meant----Outbacks start at 25k (auto's), stick would be at 24k, and not the "basic" model either. That is all