• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Defending Ski Haus

Philpug

From Fight Club...

The first rule of Proform skis is that you don't talk about proform skis.

That said....

Proform skis are a privilege NOT a right, shops do NOT have to honor proform requests. These skis are not supposed to be taken out of stock, they are to be special ordered ONCE all paperwork and requirements are made. You take what you can get, skis Do get sold out. I refused or substituted more pro-form skis than I was able to fill this year. It SOUNDS like the shop did not handle this in the best possible way, but until I hear their side. Not to be smart, maybe I missed it, Swamp, what is your position at the ski area, is it a position that entitles you to a significant discount of ski products? Either way, airing this publicly is one of the reasons that it is tougher and tougher for forms getting in the hands of the right people.

hrstrat57

The first rule of Proform skis is that you don't talk about proform skis.

Proform skis are a privilege NOT a right, shops do NOT have to honor proform requests. These skis are not supposed to be taken out of stock, they are to be special ordered ONCE all paperwork and requirements are made. Either way, airing this publicly is one of the reasons that it is tougher and tougher for forms getting in the hands of the right people.

If this is true, then things haven't changed.

Talking about pro form and comp tix and shop form etc and various other deals avail to folks who mostly work hard in the industry to make the sport better for their guests was discouraged.

One has to wonder what motivates a shop to even participate in pro form.

Unless they are rock solid certain that the deal will be confidential, what is in it for the shop?

Geoff

If this is true, then things haven't changed.

Talking about pro form and comp tix and shop form etc and various other deals avail to folks who mostly work hard in the industry to make the sport better for their guests was discouraged.

One has to wonder what motivates a shop to even participate in pro form.

Unless they are rock solid certain that the deal will be confidential, what is in it for the shop?

I'll bet the owner and/or manager of the shop had no clue it was going on. Some employee probably offered up the deal. After 6 or 7 weeks with a pair of high end skis sitting in the back still in the shrink wrap and with the Christmas rush looming, the employee who offered up the pro form deal out of inventory got caught and spanked. I don't see how any ski shop should be in any way ethically bound to stand behind a pro form side deal gone sour.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
167 posts and there is yet to be an actual, first-hand defense from the ski shop that so many were determined to fight to the death over... Where's their side?

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
167 posts and there is yet to be an actual, first-hand defense from the ski shop that so many were determined to fight to the death over... Where's their side?

Yeah why would they....other than swampthing, this thread only generated posts that contain positive feedback about the shop and others that say they are going in there to check it out. :)

Seems like the shop's prior goodwill will get them through swampthing's bad experience with flying colors.

(ps. i've never been!).

Geoff

If the threat of legal action against my shop was there, I'd resist comment.

+1

...until after the day in small claims court. I'd then explain my side and invoke an industry-wide ban against somebody who would abuse the whole pro form thing this way. The Fight Club analogy was quite appropriate. If you are an insider, you don't talk about comp and steep discount deals not available to the general public.

If I were the shop owner, I'd also be pretty pissed at the employee.

Geoff

Yeah why would they....other than swampthing, this thread only generated posts that contain positive feedback about the shop and others that say they are going in there to check it out. :)

Seems like the shop's prior goodwill will get them through swampthing's bad experience with flying colors.

(ps. i've never been!).

I used to do business with them years ago. A close friend of mine has a son who worked there part time until he took off to do the ski bum thing in Utah. For a flatland shop, I thought they always had good prices.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I just find it somewhat funny (not in the ha ha way) that dmc was in such a hurry to tattle to the shop about what was said about them so they could come on here and defend themselves (of which I thought was the purpose of this thread) and yet....nothing of that sort has occurred.

dmc

I just find it somewhat funny (not in the ha ha way) that dmc was in such a hurry to tattle to the shop about what was said about them so they could come on here and defend themselves (of which I thought was the purpose of this thread) and yet....nothing of that sort has occurred.

And I think it's funny that you take her side unconditionally because she's a woman.. Actually i funny is not the word I'd use... But I promised to be civil...

Did I tattle? No - I wanted to hear their side... And PuckIt was going to drop by.. and he is so just relax....

Why is it so bad to defend my sport?
Is it so bad to try to get the other side of the story?

Are you on her side cause shes a "diva"?

Do you just allow any woman carte blanche to say whatever venom they wish to spew at the risk of a ski shop?

Now I'm laughing even harder... :razz: :razz: :razz:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com

He can put it out there, but perhaps if the shop is even aware of it, they do not feel they need to come on to the almight alpinezone to defend themselves. I do not believe that DMC is employed by the shop, therefore, really can't speak for them. :roll:

Puck it

I have not gotten up there yet. I think this should not be discussed on the phone with the owner. I should definitely be up there this week for my liquor run to avoid the MA tax. I will stop in then.

BTW - The reason that I did not stop last night. Spent too much time in the new pub at Cannon and then had to snowblow the driveway.

dmc

He can put it out there, but perhaps if the shop is even aware of it, they do not feel they need to come on to the almight alpinezone to defend themselves. Just cause DMC felt the need doesn't mean the shop did. :roll:

She'd much rather see me look like an ass then see a ski shop survive a recession.. :(

so sad...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
And I think it's funny that you take her side unconditionally because she's a woman.. Actually i funny is not the word I'd use... But I promised to be civil...

Did I tattle? No - I wanted to hear their side... And PuckIt was going to drop by.. and he is so just relax....

Why is it so bad to defend my sport?
Is it so bad to try to get the other side of the story?

Are you on her side cause shes a "diva"?

Do you just allow any woman carte blanche to say whatever venom they wish to spew at the risk of a ski shop?

Now I'm laughing even harder... :razz: :razz: :razz:
Sweetie... I didn't take anybody's "side" in this situation; I think you're both being childish and immature. Your assumptions tell a lot about you, though. :lol:

Since you made such a big deal about having the whole picture, I'm curious about it... and why we haven't heard it yet. That is all. I have been wronged by ski shops before and I can assure you that had you taken the stance with me that you took with Swamp Dog, I'd be pretty pissed off. I am also sure that if you were on here complaining about something and everybody attacked you the same way she was, you'd take your ball and go home in your general fashion. I don't like how the situation was handled on either side, but I would like to know what happened.

And BTW, grand poobah of exaggerations, one message on a ski forum will not ruin a ski shop. So you can stop fighting under that banner... :roll:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Sweetie... I didn't take anybody's "side" in this situation; I think you're both being childish and immature. Your assumptions tell a lot about you, though. :lol:

Since you made such a big deal about having the whole picture, I'm curious about it... and why we haven't heard it yet. That is all. I have been wronged by ski shops before and I can assure you that had you taken the stance with me that you took with Swamp Dog, I'd be pretty pissed off. I am also sure that if you were on here complaining about something and everybody attacked you the same way she was, you'd take your ball and go home in your general fashion. I don't like how the situation was handled on either side, but I would like to know what happened.

And BTW, grand poobah of exaggerations, one message on a ski forum will not ruin a ski shop. So you can stop fighting under that banner... :roll:
Men are from Mars and women from Venus. No one attacked Swampdog until her defensive and quite I think DMC rightfully charachterized reactions to posts by various male AZ'ers.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Men are from Mars and women from Venus. No one attacked Swampdog until her defensive and quite I think DMC rightfully charachterized reactions to posts by various male AZ'ers.

So you're justifying it because she was quick to the draw? Like I said, I don't think either was in the right there. What continued was just childish taunting on both sides...