• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Conditioning

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

drjeff

I have a hard time getting past all the cheesy marketing of these programs.

Yup, but after all of that marketing, speaking as someone who owns the P90X series, it's a really good workout program - it keeps changing things up, and thus keeps the monotony down. Plus if you follow both the workout schedule AND their reccomended diet plan, you get results, and quick. Heck, even if you just follow their workout schedule (you're basically working out to an hour long DVD a day) you get results! Plus, I remember the 1st time I saw that I had the "yoga" workout next up, and stupid me went into that workout session thinking basically "yoga = easy stretching" - NOT! I was a sweaty mess at the end of that one and was both amazed and humbled by the flexibility(or lack there of in my case) and strength I saw both on display on my TV screen and from myself

And Wa-loaf, some of the umm "scenery" on display in the P90X DVD's i'm pretty sure rivals the really good stuff that you see from time to time in your runs around the Esplanade! ;) Except this time you can hit the "pause" button if you choose to! :lol:

Glenn

I have zero flexibility! My wife has helped with stretching to do since my legs get tight after a run. Amazing how much that can help...my shins no longer hurt, I don't get lower back pain. Neither were really bad...but I could feel it after a run.

wa-loaf

Yup, but after all of that marketing, speaking as someone who owns the P90X series, it's a really good workout program - it keeps changing things up, and thus keeps the monotony down. Plus if you follow both the workout schedule AND their reccomended diet plan, you get results, and quick. Heck, even if you just follow their workout schedule (you're basically working out to an hour long DVD a day) you get results! Plus, I remember the 1st time I saw that I had the "yoga" workout next up, and stupid me went into that workout session thinking basically "yoga = easy stretching" - NOT! I was a sweaty mess at the end of that one and was both amazed and humbled by the flexibility(or lack there of in my case) and strength I saw both on display on my TV screen and from myself

And Wa-loaf, some of the umm "scenery" on display in the P90X DVD's i'm pretty sure rivals the really good stuff that you see from time to time in your runs around the Esplanade! ;) Except this time you can hit the "pause" button if you choose to! :lol:

The other part to this is I don't think I've got the energy to do an hour in the evening. Once I get the kids in bed I pretty much collapse on the couch. I have a hard enough time fitting in all the running I've been doing.

bvibert

Staff member
I have a hard time getting past all the cheesy marketing of these programs.

I hear you on that one, but I've heard from more than enough real people that P90x is the real deal to convince me (that it's the real deal, not that I'm likely to buy it ;) )

andyaxa

At my "annual" physical last summer (which I had skipped for the last 10 yrs:eek:)...high cholesterol and triglycerides, high bp, high blood sugar, pre-diebetic and at 225lbs/5'10" was considered obese. Good news...20/20 vision and perfect liver! :beer:(which I thought would have gone years ago). Started training for triathlons and now all the above, cholesterol etc is in the good zone and I am down to 178lbs. Shooting for 175 to make it an even 50.

+1 on the stinkin' BMI charts...I'm STILL overweight!
+1 on it being harder to not have that last evening drink, problem is it always seems to lead to a last evening pantry raid.

Last season was my first on skis, so I'm looking forward to the lower weight and stronger legs to help with my 25 yr old ACL reconstruction.

Madroch

Motivation is lagging a bit-- no crispness in the air, finishing Round 1 of p90x and having trouble gearing up for Round 2. Cheesy marketing aside- the program works very well. Due to years of inattention, I will need more than one round, but it is basically undoing years of neglect in months-- still a good trade.

Need some stoke to keep me going....

MR. evil

Motivation is lagging a bit-- no crispness in the air, finishing Round 1 of p90x and having trouble gearing up for Round 2. Cheesy marketing aside- the program works very well. Due to years of inattention, I will need more than one round, but it is basically undoing years of neglect in months-- still a good trade.

Need some stoke to keep me going....

From what I have read you should take a break before starting another round.

I am going to hit the P90x again soon once my kitchen Reno project tapers off. Should be in the middle of August. I am not looking forward to the first week or two.

Madroch

From what I have read you should take a break before starting another round.

I am going to hit the P90x again soon once my kitchen Reno project tapers off. Should be in the middle of August. I am not looking forward to the first week or two.

Taking next week (vacation) completely off (maybe a run or two thrown in to offset meals, etc), than will probably do cardio mixed with Power Half Hour for a week, than back at it....

Don't want to take too long off for the reason you note... starting again is painful.

MR. evil

Taking next week (vacation) completely off (maybe a run or two thrown in to offset meals, etc), than will probably do cardio mixed with Power Half Hour for a week, than back at it....

Don't want to take too long off for the reason you note... starting again is painful.

A friend that finished round one, and is now in the middle of round two told me that you should take a month or two off of P90X before doing another round. The reason was if you jump back in too soon your body is still used to the program and you won't get the same results. He took two months off and did other stuff (biking, weight training, ect) to stay in shape. Though he still did pull ups several times a week so he wouldn't loose that skill.

Madroch

Seems to make sense... won't have to twist my arm too hard to get me to stop getting up at the crack of a$$. I am just a little worried I will lose too much ground if I wait too long..maybe 3 weeks or so with some cardio and pull ups- took me too long to acquire that skill, hate to lose it just as I am gettting the hang of it..

drjeff

Finally made it through the 30lb barrier today :) I had been plateaued the last few weeks in the 25-29lb range and was starting to wonder if I was going to get through the 30lb mark - Goal #1 of 38lbs now squarely in my sights - then I'll do a little reassessing and see if I'm going to try for an even 50lbs!

Website
maps.google.com
Finally made it through the 30lb barrier today :) I had been plateaued the last few weeks in the 25-29lb range and was starting to wonder if I was going to get through the 30lb mark - Goal #1 of 38lbs now squarely in my sights - then I'll do a little reassessing and see if I'm going to try for an even 50lbs!

whatever happened to resistance, cardio training & stretching??:beer::beer:

drjeff

whatever happened to resistance, cardio training & stretching??:beer::beer:

Happens almost every day as I RESIST the urge to eat most everything in the refrigerator/cupboards, and then once or twice a week I run to the fridge and stretch my arms a few times by tipping back a few cold beers (Bud Select 55's as of late so I don't have as big of a "liquid dinner" once a week) :beer: ;) :beer: ;)

o3jeff

I'm down about 8 lbs(another 2 to go to get to 175 were the Dr. said I should be), just a lot of watching what I eat and trying to put a lot of miles in on the bike.

I'm down to 171(from 185) and am going to try and stay around the 170-175 mark since I feel pretty healthy at this weight now.. Not bad considering I haven't been out on the bike in two weeks.

Madroch

Way to be both Jeffs-- I am sidelined-back is tweaked again... how is it that I do resistance training for weeks and my back is fine-- but I mop a floor or plant a pachasandra-- and I am done-- seriously, not joking-- both have seriously tweaked my back in the last week...Bad shape at the moment.. 4 years ago I was laid up for a week after I tried to pick up my daughters swimsuit.. yet I do crunchy frogs and heavy pants till im blue in the face--- go figure

Edit- just stood up... whoa. Suggestions... people at work tell me ice???