• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Conditioning

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
When it's too much marketing it turns me off. It might work though, skiing is mostly about core and quad strength right?

I find this interesting:
No wall sits (aka wall squats) as we have specific reasons why these are not optimal for ski training despite popular belief

hammer

Been squeezing in shorts runs each morning that I don't have another workout...was finding that my aerobic fitness was pretty bad and not improving with two 2-hour workouts a week. I do not enjoy running (especially earlier in the morning) but I feel I'm getting the biggest benefit from the shortest time.

The DW bought me a DVD with some ski exercises which I want to start on real soon. Not sure how good it is but hopefully it will target the necessary muscles so I don't feel so sore after the first day out.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
p90x fell to shit after I came off my fever. I'm still doing it but the diet is meh. I'm still floating at 184, I made such good progress for like six weeks and now i'm at a standstill.

Last night i downed like 20 triscuits with probably half a stick of cheddar cheese :lol:

hammer

Been squeezing in shorts runs each morning that I don't have another workout...was finding that my aerobic fitness was pretty bad and not improving with two 2-hour workouts a week. I do not enjoy running (especially earlier in the morning) but I feel I'm getting the biggest benefit from the shortest time.

The DW bought me a DVD with some ski exercises which I want to start on real soon. Not sure how good it is but hopefully it will target the necessary muscles so I don't feel so sore after the first day out.

After a few weeks of running in the mornings I'm seeing some benefit already...doing about 1.9 miles 5 days/week, times right around 18:00. Quite slow by runner's standards but I'm happy to get the times under 10:00/mile. Dropped 5-6 pounds and a belt notch pretty quickly as well.

Tried listening to music while running but it was messing with my pace and I have to watch out for half-groggy drivers in the neighborhood who can't seem to do something as simple as give a runner a little space.

Want to get the distance up but it isn't practical to be out more than 20-25 min or so in the mornings.

Still have not started the ski exercises, been a bit preoccupied in the evenings...may get better in a few weeks.

SKIQUATTRO

hammer...i run with a rock in my right hand...i used to be afraid of older drivers, now i welcome the sight of a big Coupe DeVille heading my way as i know they most likley arent on the phone or texting while driving and about to hit me...no joke, i have to jump off the road at least 1x/week as a driver isnt paying attention, and most of the time they are texting....or they cant judge timing of another oncoming car and try to sqeeze beween me and the other car rather than slowing down....i've been hitting 50 miles/week and its nerve wrecking..

Grassi21

Not a ton of training going on for me so far. 2 days in the HS weight room with the lax team and running just one pitiful day a week. BUT I have completely changed by diet. I am down a total of 14 lbs in 2.5 weeks. Dropped 7 lbs the first week. Energy level and motivation are through the roof which has keeps my activity level on the rise! Brings on the snow!

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have been so lazy. I've been doing hot yoga 4 times a week and that's it. Maybe a few short runs here and there but nothing crazy. Time to get some strengthening exercises incorporated. On the plus side I've kept off the 20lbs for almost 5 months now. Think I've found a good weight for my body that is healthy, makes me feel good and I can manage!

bdfreetuna

I find this interesting:
No wall sits (aka wall squats) as we have specific reasons why these are not optimal for ski training despite popular belief

Who says that?

Idk if they are optimal or not but it's a fairly basic exercise in ski training and one of the few I continue to do. Along with lunges and the whole "virtual mogul skiing" thing.

Wall sits definitely strengthen my legs. What's supposedly preferable?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It was based on the avalanche ski training right above my post.

PS: not going well. Had 5 guys today on the way home from paragliding in NH. Not good!!!!!

Gotta get the diet back in control.

skiNEwhere

On week 3 of insanity. I won't be sure how much it has helped until the start of ski season though. Since there is usually not much terrain open early season, and I'm an intermediate tele skier, I'll tele ski until probably mid December. Last season I couldn't tele ski from top to bottom without stopping once, so I guess I'll use the number of stops as an indicator.

WzGy44

The gym is always a good bet for conditioning but the best formula I've found is to hike what you ski (in the summer!). Now obviously most resorts won't let you just meander up their trails during the offseason but there are a lot of good 2k foot elevation gains in New England. The plus side of this is if you're into back country ski tours you can find a lot of good stuff to ski for the next spring while hiking. There's a gold mine of rock slides to be skied out there. You just have to find them.

Madroch

SkiNE- i have found insanity very helpful- lifting now but will mix insanity workouts in 3 or 4 days a week come September...

hammer

Been running a good amount training for a half marathon (over 100 miles/month in May and June and over 150 in July) and I started up Kyokushin Karate classes back in March. Like how the workout warm-ups include a fitness component (push-ups, core work, squats). Just need to avoid getting beat up too much in the sparring sessions.

Last edited:

drjeff

Cycling about 100 miles a week on average, doing about 3 to 4 2 to 3 mile sessions on the treadmill walking at 4mph at a 7.5% incline, and also getting 1 to 2 30 minutes sessions a week in on my skier's edge

drjeff

Would you recommend pulling the trigger on one of these? Does it help maintain your skiing legs in the off-season??

Let me put it this way. I've had mine for almost 10 years now. I still use it year round on a regular basis and enjoy my workouts on it. It really does work the ski specific muscle groups that help you get the skis out from under you as you move them from side to side. It also works well with keeping your balance centered.

I'm really considering upgrading to one of their new models (the S5) where you can actually click into the platform while in your ski boots and the platform can also be angled forward a bit to really simulate the forward lean you encounter while heading downhill! Verses the S3 model that I have where I'm in my sneakers and the platform stays at an angle that is parallel to the floor

They are very well built, reliable machines too, with the only maintenance I've had to do on mine being replacing the rubber resistance belts twice now (about once every 4 or 5 years)

dlague

There are many exercises that can be performed as routine with out a gym. For example: lunges, squats, with weights or against a wall, also burpees, planks and push-ups for core. Biking or running even aggressive hiking for endurance. Also place a board about 6-12 inches of the ground and jump back and forth over it which teaches all muscles in your legs to work together. I have a daily routine (or at least try) where I incorporate these.