• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Off Season Conditioning

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Sounds like you are already slacking and falling behind ... :p

Yeah basically ! I did the workout that was supposed to be yesterday, today; and am still sore as hell.

So far though the whole week has been good. I'm on Day #4 of health eating, less caffeine, etc. Only 86 more days to go.

gostan

Over half way through week 2 of P90X and I am definitely addicted again to this workout regime. And, my eating & drinking habits are much improved. Not one grey goose martini since I started. Now that the workouts are getting a bit easier on my old bod, The no martini's is the biggest sacrifice that I am making. But, no way can I workout at 5:30 am unless I am straight, narrow & boring.:spread::spread::spread:

Stan

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Over half way through week 2 of P90X and I am definitely addicted again to this workout regime. And, my eating & drinking habits are much improved. Not one grey goose martini since I started. Now that the workouts are getting a bit easier on my old bod, The no martini's is the biggest sacrifice that I am making. But, no way can I workout at 5:30 am unless I am straight, narrow & boring.:spread::spread::spread:

Stan

Did you do it before as well?

I'm on P90X again as well. I am also on second week, started on Monday last week. Today was shoulders & arms workout. I already feel SO MUCH BETTER than last week.

in the first 8 days I lost 4 lb and a full inch from my waist. I'm back in the 180's now (189.7 hahaha)

I have been having the occasional captain morgain & diet, but it's 1 drink normally and not 5.

gostan

Did you do it before as well?

I'm on P90X again as well. I am also on second week, started on Monday last week. Today was shoulders & arms workout. I already feel SO MUCH BETTER than last week.

in the first 8 days I lost 4 lb and a full inch from my waist. I'm back in the 180's now (189.7 hahaha)

I have been having the occasional captain morgain & diet, but it's 1 drink normally and not 5.
Nick, yes I did P90X last season. It really helped my ski conditioning and core immensely. All of the bumps at Sugarbush were no stress at all. At 63 I lose the pounds much slower than when I younger, so I am down from 198 to 194 right now. Keep up the good workouts!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Started phase 2 today, two weeks behind schedule, but since Jul 30th I've dropped 10lb .... another 7-10 to go

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

SKIQUATTRO

training for NYC Marathon in November...after that, mtn biking, trail running, swimming, surfing

wtcobb

Also one exercise I've done a lot for hiking/skiing leg stability is to stand on one leg and pass a weight (12-15lbs.) in a circle around my body. Try to go for 20-30 rotations, three sets each leg. It does great for ankle and knee strength.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, I find in general P90X really helpful, the leg & back workouts, the core workouts, and the plyometrics in particular really build up quad strength. Wall squats, lunges, really do wonders for keeping you going on a long day, particularly in the bumps or in the woods.

jrmagic

Also one exercise I've done a lot for hiking/skiing leg stability is to stand on one leg and pass a weight (12-15lbs.) in a circle around my body. Try to go for 20-30 rotations, three sets each leg. It does great for ankle and knee strength.

Thout sounds great. For years I ahve been brushing my teeth while on one leg alternating each time which I feel has helped a lot but I think I need to incorporate this type of movement. It shoudl also be a great core stabilizer as well.

That said I've had a pretty lazy summer and drank LOTS of good beer. its time to get more serious again!

Edd

1 day a week of upper body lifting.
1 day a week of legs, including dumbbell squats, 1 leg dumbbell squats, step ups with dumbbells plus side step ups and ball rolls for the hamstrings
1 day of cardio for an hour
1-2 days of yoga

It's taken months but I dropped 15 pounds due to exercise and diet. I can't give up the beer. Not gonna happen.

jrmagic

I really can't take credit for it. In the one year my son played soccer I heard the coach tell all the kids to do this and thought it was a good idea and have done it ever since.

jrmagic

. I can't give up the beer. Not gonna happen.

My problem exactly Edd. I did try to go with ultralights which are fine if you are having one ( really how often is that gonna be lol?) by the second I don't like the taste anymore so I've been back on full bodied beers for a while now.

Madroch

Dialing in my prep for ski season... Unlikely to ski before thanksgiving- so set my 60 day plan...lift 3 days, insanity 3 days (alternating with lifting)-- light cardio or stretch day 7. See you on the slopes...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My p90x has been continuous but I was sick for almost 5 days last week. Plus my diet hasn't been great, not enough to gain weight, but I haven't lost any more, I'm still floating at 184. I'd like to get to the mid 170's.