• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for a new carving ski

jaywbigred

I like a medium-to-shorter turn radius with energy, and must have good edge hold on ice.

I demo'd 6 skis this weekend:

Head iSuperShapes (blue), 163 - hated it. Maybe too short for me, but didn't hold an edge very well.

Rossi Strato 70ti - 165 cm - Was decent, not my fave, didn't seem to do anything too poorly. Good turn initiation.

Rossi Avenger 76ti - 170 cm - loved this ski, but it wasn't what I was looking for at all. This is a bomber that lays absolute rails, and at its ideal radius, is a gem. But it is anything but quick, and skiing it in a variety of radii is a LOT of work. The ski generally requires muscle, but if you give it to it, it gives back. I'll keep this in mind if I am every looking for something more burly.

Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Pro EDT XBI 2011 - 170 cm - I felt at home on this ski, it seemed to ski similar to my current carving skis (Nordica SUV 14s from about 5 years ago). Maybe that is mental. I didn't dislike it, it just didn't jump out at me.

Dynastar Contact Cross - I think they were the 165s - This ski seemed like a slightly more lively version of the Avengers. It wasn't as quick as what I was looking for, esp given how wide the tip is. It held a good edge.

Volkl Tigershark 8 - 168 cm - This was by far my favorite. Man, it was quick to initiate, and held a great edge through all the radii I tried. Its sweet spot is right in line with mine, something smaller than GS turns but bigger than slalom turns. You have to be nimble, bc it wants to initiate so quickly with both skis that it will cross you up. I almost fell numerous times because when I initiated my turn, my uphill ski would rocket into an arch. Like a lot of skiers without a racing background, I have to constantly work on making sure my uphill ski is involved the way it should be with initiating turns. The Tigersharks responded this way so much more quickly and easily than any of the other skis I tried or currently ski, and I loved it. They weren't as bomb proof as the Avengers, but they felt solid enough for me. The graphics were as bland as they come though. Just like my SUV 14's. Sigh.

Soooo, given how much I liked the Tigersharks, what else would you guys put on the list for me to try before I pull the trigger on something???

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm in the market as well, but probably looking for something used or an older overstock model.

Just a question though. How big are you? Just kind of surprised by all the skis being in the 160s for the most part.

SKIQUATTRO

my Atomic Metron's are 157 (i'm 5'9" 175) i tried the longer models and the 157 just felt right, heavy enough to not get bounced in crud, nimble to be fun in tight trees, and great edge hold on ice (I tune my skis so i know the edges are always good and sharp)

love this ski.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting, I'm 5'8" 185-190 and I just don't see myself on boards shorter than 170. Also don't see myself on boards larger than 180 either, though I do have some old powder planks that are 184.

No real scientific reasoning behind my logic.

jaywbigred

I'm 5' 11" and 176 as of this morning (damn you clients! stop sending us chocolate covered pretzels!). On paper some of these skis sound short but I yielded to the suggestions of the reps, and, other than the Heads, did not feel any of them were too short.

gorgonzola

what about fischer progessor 9's? that's the ski i'd probably trade my racetiger sl's and older gs cut am's ('05 iXRC1100) for...

skiberg

Try the blizzard supersonic G. Stable at speed. Initiates the turn great. Very good edge grip on ice. Very nice ski. Last years model if u can find it should set u back about 650.

wa-loaf

I like a medium-to-shorter turn radius with energy, and must have good edge hold on ice.

what about fischer progessor 9's? that's the ski i'd probably trade my racetiger sl's and older gs cut am's ('05 iXRC1100) for...

Actually a good choice. The progressive side-cut works pretty good. Basically has a slalom sidecut on the front and GS in the back. I find that if you stay balanced it makes nice sweeping GS turns. Pressure the tip a bit and you can rip off tight carves too. Great edge grip and doesn't get squirilly at speed unless you are straight-lining it. Might be just what you are looking for.

bigbog

JWBR,
Pretty sure these are the ones whom people I've skied with...have liked over the pathetically few times I've been out over the last couple seasons....so really just heresay, but they(guys/women in/out of the industry) aren't slouches...*although I "jokingly"call em' "has beens".

Blizzard Supersonic IQ
Dynastar Contact 10
Dynastar Contact 4x4 (just below the 10)
Fischer's Progressor series...9=stiffer, 10= most energy

..fwiw
$.01

Last edited: