• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any body know anything about Hunter???

Hoping it thaws out a little tomorrow for some afternoon Spring conditions. I've heard a lot about ice, but how thin is the cover? Do I need to bring the rock skis? Are rocks the hazards they warn about on Lower K27?

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Hoping it thaws out a little tomorrow for some afternoon Spring conditions. I've heard a lot about ice, but how thin is the cover? Do I need to bring the rock skis? Are rocks the hazards they warn about on Lower K27?
No rocks anywhere we skied.
Didn't do Lower K27

catskillman

Yes. Skied from 1 to 4. It was fine.
There were insane accidents - broken legs & arms, a courtesy patrol guy went off trail due to the ice, ended up with a bad head injury, ambulance took him away.
Another guy had to have both legs braced, his neck and a back board to get him off the mountain to an ambulance, and you know there were others.

Just got off the mountain - was very good in the morning, now it is a stickey mess. Sad you have to come down the parkway to ski the west and north - that was very tricky and sticky

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I knew Sat was gonna be iced up, hence skied in southern PA on Sat (where it never froze up overnight) and skied Hunter on Sunday.

So Inclined

There were insane accidents - broken legs & arms
There are a lot of people out there who venture way beyond their skill level, tactical understanding, fitness and sobriety. Any chair ride up will put that on full display. This explains the sight of some people being sledded more than 'WORST. CONDITIONS. EVER' does. I also don't quite know you mean by "insane" accidents: were there multiple compound femur fractures? People here and there in danger of bleeding out? Unconscious bodies piled up at the foot of Kennedy? Did it resemble the first minutes of Saving Private Ryan?
I'm actually not that fazed by the "insanity" of like, someone fracturing a wrist - that's practically a rite of passage if you're a low-level snowboarder who gets out a couple days a year and picks an icy, windy day to try sending it (bad move), or if you're a drunken idiot, or both.

It was certainly a bit stiff Saturday afternoon, but not that dicey or hair-raising at all. As far as conditions-based hazards go, a primary one (thin cover, bare spots, narrowed-down trails that drop off hard into ice/rocks/woods) has been a non-issue of late. Things looked covered pretty much wall-to-wall on the open trails I got on - which is a nice thing to be able to say! A huge safety boost in itself, since it also gives skiers a little more room to avoid each other.

"Just got off the mountain - was very good in the morning, now it is a stickey mess"

Not there, but temps have been tipping into the 50s since Monday or so, right? I'm not sure what anyone can do when that's the case. Short of literally skiing in the shadow of a gun over a new-blown whale, I'm rarely ever finding much "sticky" snow, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

jimmywilson69

Likely stopping at Hunter on my way to Vermont on Friday. I've never been. Probably get there just before lunch. Where should I park so that I have easy access to the slopes?

I figured since I've never been I'd stop and ski there. The other option would be to go to Okemo, but was planning on skiing there on Monday 3/18.

So Inclined

Likely stopping at Hunter on my way to Vermont on Friday. I've never been. Probably get there just before lunch. Where should I park so that I have easy access to the slopes?

I figured since I've never been I'd stop and ski there. The other option would be to go to Okemo, but was planning on skiing there on Monday 3/18.
You'll have zero problem parking at the main lot (a short walk from the lodge). Going by Opensnow, your biggest issue today might be wind.

zyk

Late morning some locals leave so check the upper lot. You might find something there.

jimmywilson69

I'm keeping an eye on the potential for Rain showers on Friday. That doesn't bother me all that much as long as it isn't too hard.

catskillman

crazy day - real tough conditions in the am. lots of rocks and challenge. Heard the afternoon was much better.
The website today said they have 4 runs open in one place and 44 in the other......who writes. checks these reports............

The calendar has not been updated for ages....checked it today and their are events until the 30th now.....

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

crazy day - real tough conditions in the am. lots of rocks and challenge. Heard the afternoon was much better.
The website today said they have 4 runs open in one place and 44 in the other......who writes. checks these reports............

The calendar has not been updated for ages....checked it today and their are events until the 30th now.....
Thinking of heading there on Sat.
What do they actually have open?
Assuming more like 44 and 4 is a typo

catskillman

4 is a typoprobably will not groom it so it will be bumps... - ny saturday it should be HBK, Belt with obstocales, minya & east side but narrow, milkey is very iffy but it will most likely not ne groomed so it will be bumps. Overlook. Madison is closed for a race on Saturday and the terrain park will also be closed for a competation

drewfidelic

It is rough. Clair’s was open today, but had a warning of “walking required” at the top. Cliff had one segment with no snow except for a ski-width connectio. Racer’s was open, but with a very narrow exit. Eisenhower, East Side Drive, Way Out, and North (except Overlook) were closed. (27 and Crossover had some nice snow at least)

It will be interesting to see what they can maintain through the weekend…

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Eek - Wondering if it warrants the drive or if I should just do JFrost tomorrow. Any trails that were good other than k27 and Crossover?

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

Stopped by hunter on the way to Vermont yesterday for the first time ever. Clearly the never winter has affected them bad. Was surprised how thin it was in a lot of places. Belt parkway was crazy thin and without a significant groom not sure how it would make the weekend. There's a lot of snow in some places on the mountain but it needs moved around. Has it not been cold enough to do so?

Anyways I skied all of the routes available from the top. The entrance to K27 was a maybe 3 feet wide but once you got 5 yards in full coverage.

Perhaps I missed the sign that said walking required at the top of Claire's. It was great until near the bottom. A 10-15 foot mandatory grass skiing section. Then when we get to the bottom and Rusk road, which was listed as open and groomed required skis to be taken off. The slope itself was great soft bumps but I was a little pissed about the bottom. I saw the thin cover sign but wasn't expecting it to be that bad...

Overall I thought the skiing was decent in what has clearly been a challenging year. The mountain has some decent pitch. The front side trails did ski a little odd with the cross fall line layout but certainly enjoyable.

Without some massive snow management overnight in places. I believe the it will be straight up dangerous there today with even a half size Saturday crowd. There was no one there yesterday.

I remember the bathroom complaints earlier in the thread. Totally warranted. I've been in Porta potty that smell better.

And I made the mistake of grabbing lunch on the mountain with my sun. Holy shit I had the worst chicken sandwich ever. I didn't even finish it... I should've eaten somewhere in town. If I get an Epic survey they will get a full blown F on this aspect!

Last edited: