• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone else play guitar?

Greg

Staff member
I pick up the acoustic from time to time and play in spurts. I've been playing more this summer than I have in probably 4 years. Mostly DMB with some random other stuff sprinkled in.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I pick up the acoustic from time to time and play in spurts. I've been playing more this summer than I have in probably 4 years. Mostly DMB with some random other stuff sprinkled in.

Absolutely. I play fingerstyle, jazz, folk, Irish jig/reel accomp, etc. Examples: Tommy Emmanuel, James Taylor, Neil Young, etc.

Samples, FWIW:

And this one's kinda fun. It's a dated recording, and basic. But it was fun to record... featuring AZ's own BMM on Piano, Guitar, and Tin Whistle! :lol:

Kesh Jig mp3

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Used to play. Four years ago I picked up a new Ovation with the desire to get back to playing and maybe even getting some sort of acoustic grunge thing going. But my rekindled desire to play did not have longevity. Still keep thinking about it but I just don't have the time to commit to getting decent again.

Mildcat

I've been playing since I was 14. I don't play much anymore though. Never been in a serious band but a couple of bands just jammin with friends. Mostly classic rock, metal and punk. I have cheaper guitars but a really sweet amp. I have a Marshall 9200 power amp, Digitech 2101 Artist Pro effects processor, and a Marshall 1960a cab. One nice guitar I have is one I put together myself. I had a replica Jackson neck that I bought from Stewart MacDonald on clearence (this neck is top quality), a Jackson Dinky body that I bought on Ebay with a Floyd Rose Trem, and EMG pickups (an 81 at the bridge and SA's for the mid and neck) I had on another guitar. Threw a really cool paint job on it too.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Bass guitar, yes, picked it up after high school. Thinking right now of plugging in the Fender Jazz Bass, powering up the GK 700RB head with Backline 410 cab and playing 'The Trooper', 'Flight if Icarus', and 'Powerslave' before a late night bike ride!

Greg

Staff member
Absolutely. I play fingerstyle, jazz, folk, Irish jig/reel accomp, etc. Examples: Tommy Emmanuel, James Taylor, Neil Young, etc.

Samples, FWIW:

Dayum! :-o You got serious skills. Nice work.

And this one's kinda fun. It's a dated recording, and basic. But it was fun to record... featuring AZ's own BMM on Piano, Guitar, and Tin Whistle! :lol:

Kesh Jig mp3

That's a trip. This is a multi-track tune I put together about 6 years ago with a few other guys from this DMB tab site I used to be a member on. I recorded the basic guitar track and sent it around to the other guys to record tracks. I mixed it all (crappy job really), but it was kinda cool to do. The lead singer was from the U.K. Wish I had a voice like that.

Grey Street

ERJ-145CA

I play the guitar and bass. I never got really good at guitar because I was a little bit of a slacker with practicing, but I stil like to play around with it from time to time. I'm much better at bass and usually jam with friends about 4 times a year now, we used to jam more but myself and the guitarist/singer have kids now. I have a Fender Jazz Bass and a Stratocaster (technically the Strat is my wife's).

dmc

a little.... I'm a drummer... always will be.... :)

Warp Daddy

Yeah i mess around mostly for fun and jamming with friends and family and do occasional neighborhood parties with some of my family couple times a year ..Play Metal , Classic Rock ,and some indie stuff that my kids talk me into :D:D:D. My fav is jamming with my 2 grandboys lead guitar and drums . Their dads play too keyboards bass rhythm etc

I SUCK (a freaking legend in my own mind - LMAO)--------- but did play for coin when i was in college But now i play couple hrs a day for R&R . Got a real nice Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Kelly Green Fender Strat that i picked up on EBAY for a song, My current practice amp is a Peavey Studio Pro ( I want MILDCAT'S Rig that is frakin awesome !!) Got two effects processors Boss GT6 and a ZOOM GFX 8 and a whole slew of floor pedals that ain't worth a crap now :D:D

Yep playing any instrument is a a great way to unwind and lose yourself in the sounds u can create -- I used to use it as a mental health break :D:D:D when i got "all peopled out " on the job

Keep Rockin !!

MRGisevil

In school, but I never stuck with it. I really want to learn how to play banjo. Totally serious. I think it'd be hella funny to whip out the banjo at random locations and start strummin'.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Used to play a ton from about age 16 until about five years ago. I even dropped out of college to start a band :lol:. My band members and I saved up enough money to rent a house in Stowe for the winter of 1995-96. We played a few parties, but mainly just jammed. That house and the parties we threw are legend amongst some of the Stowe locals. Almost every night consisted of at least a 5 gallon of Shed Mountain Ale and numerous musicians in town stopping by and jamming until 4/5 in the morning; get up and ski around 9, home around 3 and crash until 7 and then start the party over. We all had saved enough money to only have to work about 2 days a week.

My baby was an Epiphone Dot (essentially a Gibson ES335 copy) with a Fender Blues Deluxe amp. It has resided at my friends house in Stowe for the past five years while I've lived in various apartments and condos because I don't trust myself. Get a few drinks in me and I'd fire that sucker up thinking I was Jimi Hendrix. So, out of respect for my neighbors, the set up will remain at my friends.

I'm looking at my acoustic hanging on the wall in my office that I haven't picked up in almost two years. Like Rivercoil, I just don't have the time to throw at it to play at the level I'd like to. Someday I'll pick it up again. Actually I think I want to get a bass someday and start completely from scratch. I'm a self taught player who can't read music only tab and have a minimal understanding of theory. I'd love to have the time to really become classically trained at bass and find a few people to jam with. Someday...

SKidds

I play Guitar................................................................Hero. Does that count?

bvibert

Staff member
I play Guitar................................................................Hero. Does that count?

That's the closest I've gotten to playing guitar. And I suck at that. I'm not a very musical kind of guy.

Greg

Staff member
Tonight was the second "band practice" for me. I started jamming with two of my neighbors recently. Tonight I discovered one of the guys is one helluva bass player and the other guy sings pretty damn well. We've been concentrating on playing 90's rock acoustically - AIC, STP, Fuel, DMB, BNL, etc. So far we have about 4 or 5 songs that are decent. Not great, but way way better than I expected after only two practices. Lots of fun and I think we sounded pretty good, but that might be the shots of Patron that my neighbor broke out talking... :lol: Looks for us at at a bar near you in the fall. ;)

o3jeff

Tonight was the second "band practice" for me. I started jamming with two of my neighbors recently. Tonight I discovered one of the guys is one helluva bass player and the other guy sings pretty damn well. We've been concentrating on playing 90's rock acoustically - AIC, STP, Fuel, DMB, BNL, etc. So far we have about 4 or 5 songs that are decent. Not great, but way way better than I expected after only two practices. Lots of fun and I think we sounded pretty good, but that might be the shots of Patron that my neighbor broke out talking... :lol: Looks for us at at a bar near you in the fall. ;)

Record some songs for the mtb and ski vids!

Warp Daddy

Good on Ya -- have fun with it . It s a great way to relax and remember that most of your listeners CONSUME quantities of alcohol while you are playing -- get my drift ??? :D:D:D:D and the rest are TONE deaf :D:D