• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone else play guitar?

ERJ-145CA

Did you upgrade the plastics yet? Found a guy on Craigslist looking to trade a similar LP for a Strat!

I just ordered them last night from the site mildcat linked, it was about $50 for the pickguard, pup rings, toggle switch ring, toggle switch knob and gold speed knobs.

The 15 watt amp we had wasn't cutting it anymore so I bought a new amp on Sunday - a Vox VT50. It's a hybrid modeling amp and has one tube in the power amp so it has a warmer sound than a solid state amp but is much more reasonably priced than a tube amp. I really had no idea all the features modern amps have now. It simulates the sound of 22 different classic amps plus it has a bunch of built in effects to choose from and it sounds great clean.

My wife took the kids to the pool yesterday afternoon and my neighbors (I live in a townhouse) were away at the shore so I cranked it. All I can say is WOW it sounded fantastic.

IMG_0036_2_640x480_.JPG

Also watch out if you get a used Les Paul, there are a lot of Chibson (Chinese counterfeit) Les Paul's out there on ebay and Craig's list. the mylespaul.com forum has good info on how to spot a fake.

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
I just ordered them last night from the site mildcat linked, it was about $50 for the pickguard, pup rings, toggle switch ring, toggle switch knob and gold speed knobs..

Be sure to post pics. that's really gonna look nice. Congrats on the amp. Got a used Peavey Valveking tube head for almost nothing a few weeks ago. Also found a nice Peavey 412 cabinet to pair it with for $250 on Craigslist. 100 watts of tube power actually is too much... :lol:

Warp Daddy

Be sure to post pics. that's really gonna look nice. Congrats on the amp. Got a used Peavey Valveking tube head for almost nothing a few weeks ago. Also found a nice Peavey 412 cabinet to pair it with for $250 on Craigslist. 100 watts of tube power actually is too much... :lol:

AHHHH NO such thing as TOO much unless yer ears are Bleedin :D:D ---- Crank it up , Break some brains :D

Greg

Staff member
Be sure to post pics. that's really gonna look nice

Pics. man! ;)

I played a few Studios yesterday. One an alpine white and the other a faded mahogany. I really don't like finished necks. They feel kinda "sticky" to me. The faded's neck played much better. I came across this pic of a mahogany Studio that had all the plastics changed from black to cream and the knobs changed to gold. I think this thing looks hot and that's what I'm doing when it's time to pull the trigger on an LP:

lp1.jpg

ERJ-145CA

I saw that pic above and figured I'd take a picture of mine partially done. I changed the pickguard, knobs and toggle switch so far. I'll change the pup rings when I re-string it as well as the toggle switch ring. I'll post more pics when I finish it.
MyLPPartial_2_800x600_.jpg

Greg

Staff member
Nice! looks waaaaay better already! Happy with those replacement plastics?

Greg

Staff member
They're high quality parts. The new pickguard is much more sturdy than the stock studio one.

Is your neck satin? I play a more expensive Studio with a gloss neck and didn't like it.

crank

I just checked this "Miscellaneous Discussions" forum out for the first time tonight. Who know there were so many pickers on AZ!

I've been playing for longer than I care to admit. I learned as a teenager and kind of put it down in my 30's. After hardly playing at all for about a dozen years I got back into it through a regular jam session with some old friends and band mates. Now I play in 2 bands. 1 classic rock cover band that gigs regularly and I also recently joined a band playing all original music as well. Can you say midlife crisis?

My main guitar is a Schecter Stratocaster that I bought new in '86. I also have an Epiphone hollow body and a Guild acoustic. I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for my cover band and a 1975 Music Man 65x210 for the original band.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
All this guitar talk caused me to pick up my Ovation Elite T after a three year lay off. Rusty beyond belief but amazing how the basics are right there. Though the fingers are weaker than a skier's legs after a summer layoff. Those Les Pauls above have me drooling. I have an old Ibanez electric kicking around here. Total beater but definitely worthy of my lowly skills. :D Let's see if this is just a phase or if I stick with it this time around....

:beer:

Last edited:

Mildcat

All this guitar talk caused me to pick up my Ovation Elite T after a three year lay off. Rusty beyond belief but amazing how the basics are right there. Though the fingers are weaker than a skier's legs after a summer layoff. Those Les Pauls above have me drooling. I have an old Ibanez electric kicking around here. Total beater but definitely worthy of my lowly skills. :D Let's see if this is just a phase or if I stick with it this time around....

:beer:

It's funny but when I go an extended period without playing I find it's my pick hand that gets rusty. That and my fingertips get soft.

57stevey

Is your neck satin? I play a more expensive Studio with a gloss neck and didn't like it.

Mine's a '93 - "alpine yellow" :) The gloss was quite sticky at first but has played in nicely over the years. Just put the Bigsby on recently. Ditched most of the plastic awhile back, but I do like the cream look best on the fadeds.

DSCF2180r.jpg

ERJ-145CA

Mine's a '93 - "alpine yellow" :) The gloss was quite sticky at first but has played in nicely over the years. Just put the Bigsby on recently. Ditched most of the plastic awhile back, but I do like the cream look best on the fadeds.

DSCF2180r.jpg

That's a nice LP you got there.

crank

I went on a factory tour at a little place in New Hartford, Ct where they make Guild, Ovation and Hamer guitars. This was for and with a group from an internet forum called Let's Talk Guild and is a tour of the Guild sections of the factory alone. There is also some footage from post tour dinner and jam we had at Ski Sundown which is only a couple of minutes from the factory. Guild really took care of us, giving every attendee a swag bag with a t shirt and other goodies, plus raffling off many bigger ticket items including a Guild F50 12- string! This happened back on April 30, it took me a long ass time to edit everything I shot into a cohesive package. The guitars you will see being built here are high end running from about 2K to possibly closer to 10K for a couple of limited edition models.

The reason Ovation, Hamer and Guild are all made in the same building is that all 3 are owned by Fender. The good thing is that Fender let's them build their own instruments the way they want to: with quality and care.

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jNKbCV7lak

Greg

Staff member
Great video. Looks professionally done. Nice job!