• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot / Liner question...

Phillycore

I'll try to make this as short as possible...

I've been suffering from an ingrown nail on my big toe and it puts me into absolute agony when it comes to my ski boots.
The pain is coming from the liner being too tight lengthwise and not from shell..

My question is this..

I have a pair of Rossignol soft boots that are in a larger size (that's why I replaced them actually when I actually got fitted and realized that I was in too large of a boot.)

Can I take the liner out of the rossi's and put them into my Dalbello's.
I mean I know I can do it.. I tried it and it does fit into the shell, however the Rossi liners are a little taller in height than my Dalbello's are.
With the Rossi liners in my Dalbello boots I don't get that pressure point on my toe which means no pain.

So will this affect the performance of the boot any??
I've had the Dalbello liners stretched twice last season so stretching the liner further isn't an option..

Greg

Staff member
It's not going to hurt to give it a try....

trtaylor

Do you have a tailors measuring tape? Maye the lady of the house has one. You can use it to measure the actual shell length of the inside of your boot. Then compare that to length of the liner.

If the liner is truly short, I can tell you how to fix that. But like Greg says, go ahead and try your other liners. If they feel better, go skiing.

But yeah, get that nail fixed now.

Last edited:

Phillycore

Why don't you just get the ingrown nail cut before ski season is in full swing?

Been there done that... the sumbitch keeps coming back...
Vicious circle of pain... I'm pretty darn good at self-surgury at this point, but I'm not a professional and didn't get it all out the last time.. Until it grows back I've got to deal with it...

mondeo

It's not going to hurt to give it a try....

Actually, it could.

By giving your foot more room, that could translate into more slop, resulting in the toe banging around in the boot and making the toe worse. Speaking from experience here. I bought my Dalbellos after my old, a size too large boots gave me an issue with my toe.

Best thing you can do is go to a good podiatrist. A good one, and you'll be fine a few days later.

mondeo

Vicious circle of pain... I'm pretty darn good at self-surgury at this point, but I'm not a professional and didn't get it all out the last time.. Until it grows back I've got to deal with it...
Been there, done that. Go to a better podiatrist. DEFINITELY worth it.

trtaylor

Actually, it could.

By giving your foot more room, that could translate into more slop, resulting in the toe banging around in the boot and making the toe worse. Speaking from experience here. I bought my Dalbellos after my old, a size too large boots gave me an issue with my toe.

Best thing you can do is go to a good podiatrist. A good one, and you'll be fine a few days later.
I think this is true only if his shells are really too big. They may be - or not. But it's a good point to check.

Some liners are short lasted and can be given some room in the toe.

Phillycore

Do you have a tailors measuring tape? Maye the lady of the house has one. You can use it to measure the actual shell length of the inside of your boot. Then compare that to length of the liner.

If the liner is truly short, I can tell you how to fix that. But like Greg says, go ahead and try your other liners. If they fell better, go skiing.

But yeah, get that nail fixed now.

The Dalbello liner is almost 1/2" shorter than the shell itself...

Phillycore

I think this is true only if his shells are really too big. They may be - or not. But it's a good point to check.

Some liners are short lasted and can be given some room in the toe.

It's the liner that's the problem...
I know that my shells are correct....
I only have 20 days or so on the Dalbello's and I'm positive that the liner has not fully packed out yet.
I just need some toe room on my left liner...
FWIW.... My left foot is slightly longer than my right one.

stuff the rossi liner in there and stay out of the backseat and you'll be fine...the slightly higher liner won't be a big deal. the podiatrist is a very good suggestion though...best to do both. you can also find a good bootfitter and ask for a toe-ectomy in the liner...they can cut out the toe box and stitch in neoprene to lengthen the toe box...used to do that fairly often before the boot co.s starting making neoprene toe boxes. Or, get some neoprene, a needle and thread and play gepetto yourself.

Swamp Dog

have the nail surgically removed. I know a guy who had both big toenails surgically removed. He walked out of the hospital feeling nothing, so he went furniture shopping with his wife, Jordan's in Avon, big store. Before they were half way through, his feet were throbbing so bad he damn near cried all the way back to the car. Rode home in the back of the van with his feet up against the back of the seat.

It was more than a few weeks before he could wear anything other than open sandals, but he's never had an ingrown nail again.

have the nail surgically removed. I know a guy who had both big toenails surgically removed. He walked out of the hospital feeling nothing, so he went furniture shopping with his wife, Jordan's in Avon, big store. Before they were half way through, his feet were throbbing so bad he damn near cried all the way back to the car. Rode home in the back of the van with his feet up against the back of the seat.

It was more than a few weeks before he could wear anything other than open sandals, but he's never had an ingrown nail again.

wow, good thing he wasn't complaining about a headache!

Phillycore

stuff the rossi liner in there and stay out of the backseat and you'll be fine...the slightly higher liner won't be a big deal. the podiatrist is a very good suggestion though...best to do both. you can also find a good bootfitter and ask for a toe-ectomy in the liner...they can cut out the toe box and stitch in neoprene to lengthen the toe box...used to do that fairly often before the boot co.s starting making neoprene toe boxes. Or, get some neoprene, a needle and thread and play gepetto yourself.

I suck with the needle and thread.... however...

Mom dukes is an ex-home ec teacher and kicks ass with anything fabric...
She's attacking it now with some thick neoprene fabric from an old knee brace...

Thanks for the heads--up this should work good... doesn't take anything away from the performance of the boot and the neoprene will give me more toe room, elasticity and still be able to retain heat so I don't freeze...

U Da MaN!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Did you go to a doctor to have it removed? Maybe find a new doc. Goodness, I had an in grown in 07 and it side lined me for over a month because I was too stubborn to go to a doctor. Couldn't even get my boot on without some of the most intense and agonoizing pains I have ever felt :blink: Can't have imagined trying to ski much less skin with an in grown. Finally went to the doc and he cut up my toe so the nail wouldn't grow back on that edge and its been fine since.

mondeo

Sounds to me like it was either a really nasty problem or a bad doctor. Or he didn't realize that the local anesthesia hadn't worn off yet and screwed things up by walking around.

I've had three different doctors work on my toenail. First one was a general practitioner, just removed the edge so that the skin could heal. Saw her a couple times before she referred me to a podiatrist. She was probably the worst of the three, but I was still fine after a week and would wear sneakers after a couple days.

First podiatrist was a little bit better, and tried a permanent partial removal. Similar level of pain, fine after a week.

Somehow it came back, though, and I saw a second podiatrist. Permanent partial, and I was walking around the next day with very little discomfort. Very little pain even the day it was removed.

Phillycore

Both times for me was at a podiatrist... (insurance didn't cover them either which blows!!)
First time it was infected and he couldn't do much but cut it out... major pain!!! took a while to heal from that one..
Second time he did the permanant partial.... it grew back...
After that I said screw it and just keep cutting it out myself.. (left big toe, inside corner only one that has problems)

skidmarks

you can also find a good bootfitter and ask for a toe-ectomy in the liner...they can cut out the toe box and stitch in neoprene to lengthen the toe box...used to do that fairly often before the boot co.s starting making neoprene toe boxes. Or, get some neoprene, a needle and thread and play gepetto yourself.

What Dalbello does he have? I gave the post a quick scan. Some of their models have a neo toe already.
You can also cut kind of a grid/hash mark window for his toe to push out

Phillycore

dunno...but would have figured he wouldn't cut neoprene out only to stitch more in...

Good guess... my liners had no neoprene on them at all..

After 2 days on my newly neoprened left boot liner...

Success!! No pain at all...

It looks ugly, but it works..(and it's on the inside of the boot so who the hell cares). and no cold factor either as it was around 15-19 degrees on the mountain as well.
Didn't make the boot liner any larger, just cut out a piece of the toebox and stitched in a piece of thick neoprene that was sacrificed from an old knee brace or something...
The piece of neoprene allows my big toe to flex it rather than get jammed as the liner material had no give whatsoever..

Thanks for the suggestion as I would not have thought of it...