• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Coming Back! AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge - 2011 Edition!

kcyanks1

Not sure what I'd ask at the moment, but I always like hearing from MRG, and Eric does a great job answering questions. And how could we omit MRG?

Also, I don't personally have much interest, but if others do, the Plattekill owner(s) also seem to be very friendly to their customers, and I figure would do a good, honest job answering questions.

gmcunni

what kind of questions would you ask of particular ski shops?

Just curious. never thought of a ski shop challenge

just my opinion but base on previous threads regarding ski shop preferences i'm not sure something like this would go over well (for the ski shop or Nick's blood pressure)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, I'd tend to agree, but I wasn't sure if Black Phantom was being serious or tongue and cheek, so I figured I'd ask the question.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Not sure what I'd ask at the moment, but I always like hearing from MRG, and Eric does a great job answering questions. And how could we omit MRG?

Also, I don't personally have much interest, but if others do, the Plattekill owner(s) also seem to be very friendly to their customers, and I figure would do a good, honest job answering questions.

I'll reach out to everyone I can - if they don't respond, so be it, but I will try to get to everyone on the list.

+1 on MRG, will add it on! Thx

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
How about adding in a new category for ski shops?

I hadn't thought of ski shops (might invoke some heavy competition on the retail side, haha)

I was thinking of a gear challenge as mentioned above - contacting some like K2, Salomon, Rossi, Atomic, Fischer, etc. to talk about the new stuff coming out, plans for the future, etc.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'll think about it.

Is there anyone else I should add to the list above? I'm accumulating contact info and will be contacting the ski areas later this week for our first reach out to them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
RE: Ski shops

Markets catered to, products carried, shop specialties, etc.

As the guy who helped Greg with the Challenge in the past, the only comment I can make is that the Challenge is participant driven. We got lots of folks who were interested in the Challenge, but when we got resorts on board the folks disappeared and some Challenges were slow at best. It made us look bad when nobody had any questions for these folks. So as to expanding to include ski shops, that sounds great but we need folks to have questions ready and participate to make it work!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'll do some additional stuff too once we complete getting the resorts on board. one thing will be an email to all site members, which I think will aid in participation, particularly for those that are hibernating in the summer ;)

jimmywilson69

Will the questions be reviewed and thinned out as to not be so adversarial? I could see some discussion going bad...

I wasn't around the last time, so I don't know how it was moderated.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Will the questions be reviewed and thinned out as to not be so adversarial? I could see some discussion going bad...

I wasn't around the last time, so I don't know how it was moderated.

For the must part (Killington being the major exception) members have been pretty respectful.

Some areas that people are particularly passionate about receive numerous questions. Previous challenges were thinned down to about ten questions per resort.

bvibert

Staff member
AFAIK all challenges have been limited to 10 questions. Yes, sometimes the questions are reworded or combined with similar questions. Some just don't make the cut at all.

kcyanks1

Some reps also go into the threads and continue to respond afterwards. Steve from Jay Peak is great about that.