• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Coming Back! AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge - 2011 Edition!

Magog Fishy

Would love to hear from:

1. Burke
  2. Smuggs
  3. Jay
  4. MRG
Eastern Townships:
  1. Sutton
  2. Orford
  3. Owls Head
  4. Bromont
Thanks.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Suggestions

Anybody else I'm missing on this list? I plan on starting our campaign to the resorts early next week.

Nick,

This list needs some balance. It is heavily weighted toward the "big boys". I know, most of this list is comprised with "big boy" skiers, but I'm sure there are many, many lurkers who are just as happy at smaller areas. It might help open up the forum a bit more. I've been making the rounds of many small community areas, some with famous skiers who grew up there. They are not into big time growth, but there is a lot to learn from them.

Might I suggest any of the following:
- Cochrans, VT
- Suicide Six, VT
- Black NH
- Bousquet, MA

These are all steeped in ski history, but have only humble plans.

Last edited:

Terry

How about Shawnee Peak. The oldest ski area in Me. and the first to install a conveyer system. Talk to Mellissa Rock.

Riverskier

I would like to here from Mt. Abram. I would have been interested to hear what their plans are for the future anyway, but their lodge pretty much burned to the ground last night, so I would be especially interested in their plans to rebuild.

Puck it

You are correct. Nashoba really should be on the list. Excellent racing programs.

And let's not forget your beloved Blue Hills!:p

And Granite Gorge for my man billski!:beer:

Never been to Blue Hills, to far south for me.

I prefer to skin up the old Boston Hill.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nick,

This list needs some balance. It is heavily weighted toward the "big boys". I know, most of this list is comprised with "big boy" skiers, but I'm sure there are many, many lurkers who are just as happy at smaller areas. It might help open up the forum a bit more. I've been making the rounds of many small community areas, some with famous skiers who grew up there. They are not into big time growth, but there is a lot to learn from them.

Might I suggest any of the following:
- Cochrans, VT
- Suicide Six, VT
- Black NH
- Bousquet, MA

These are all steeped in ski history, but have only humble plans.

That's perfectly fine with me - I'm up for making this the biggest most diverse challenge to date. I want to make sure we cover those mountains that the members here are interested in hearing from, small or large!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Ski Ward!

Definitely get in touch - I did see your email about updating your resort info. I will take care of that for you, but we'd love to talk with you!

BTW... just visited your site, didn't realize you had a summer ski area w/ Neveplast!

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
Might be an interesting idea..

I've had the pleasure of responding to a few of these as resort reps. Killington in 04 (when I was green), Attitash in 05 and Sunday River after that. Then I went out west for a few years and now I'm back working in VT, but not in the resort biz at the moment. I've also done the PR thing for ASC, Boyne, and Powdr and skied most of the rest.

That could allow me to field a "why do resorts generally do x?" type of set. Responses that I might, MIGHT, be able to more candidly answer than at other times in my career or by reps themselves. And also when it's not specific to one resort, there's more latitude to relay the landscape.

Looking forward to my first winter back in New England since 2008. If ya'll want to incorporate that - then I'm happy to help. If not, then no biggie. Think snow!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Cool DJAK, thanks for the feedback :)

It's taken me a bit longer than I wanted to get my lists put together - finding email contacts at all the resorts - but I should have something out to the resorts to gauge participation soon.

The whole idea of the thing is to make it as candid as possible (gotta pass the BS detector!). What kinds of things did you find your were limited in answering, DJAK