• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Skiing State?

What's your favorite Northeast state for skiing?

• Total voters

RISkier

Austria, Arlberg region. I miss the chain smokers and all the pushing and shoving......

I keep hearing about the pushing and the shoving but in our two trips to Austria (once to the Arlberg region) I've not seen any pushing or shoving. Yes the lift lines are not as well organized and in some cases you need to assertively keep moving forward. But I've never seen any pushing, shoving, or overtly rude behavior. Indeed, I've generally found folks very friendly and polite. Yes, there are some different cultural standards regarding smoking and drinking. And in the Northeast I think VT offers the best overall skiing. You've got the cruisy areas with lots of snowmaking in Southern VT, and the Northern Vt areas generally offer more challenging terrain. And the natural snow totals in the Northern Greens pretty much trumps the natural snow totals anywhere else. None of that's to say there aren't other ski areas that compare favorably (Wildcat, Cannon, and Sugarloaf come to mind) but overall I think VT is the queen of Eastern skiing.