• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greylock's Thunderbolt

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I skinned up with some friends via a different route. We crossed the Thunderbolt at one point but did not take it up the mountain. I couldn't tell you where, exactly the skin trail was. We went up through a small abandoned ski area near the bas and then angled right from there. It was actually a very easy skin up.

I know what you're talking about. It's often used as a snowmobile trail too for some part of it.

ski220

I skinned up with some friends via a different route. We crossed the Thunderbolt at one point but did not take it up the mountain. I couldn't tell you where, exactly the skin trail was. We went up through a small abandoned ski area near the bas and then angled right from there. It was actually a very easy skin up.

I know what you're talking about. It's often used as a snowmobile trail too for some part of it.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Mother-Killed-in-Snowmobile-Accident.html?corder=reverse

tequiladoug

Website
www.douglas1.com
Some folks go up via Bellows Pipe, when I went in Dec. there were 3 groups of 2 and all 6 went straight up..2 were on skins, 2 were snowshoeing w/snowboards on their pack, 2 were snowshoeing w/skis&boots on their pack. I am 99% sure we were the 1st ones down this season (it was Dec 20th)

ALSO, did you hear some a**hole vandals recently busted all of the windows out of the warming hut up top?

MR. evil

No plans yet. Is it skin-able? My skins should arrive via UPS in a few days. Time to start boning up on everything touring. The goal is to get familiar with my gear first, then find a partner or a few that have some touring experience.

Next season I plan on having either an AT setup or some snowshoes and a pack. Either way I would be up for trying ThunderBolt if we can find a guide.

Grassi21

Next season I plan on having either an AT setup or some snowshoes and a pack. Either way I would be up for trying ThunderBolt if we can find a guide.

The guide is key. If I don't get an opportunity this season I plan to hike it with the family this spring/summer. A little recon can't hurt.

ski220

T Bolt will be going off tomorrow....

What's the base condition now? It's a pretty boney trail and the weather report is calling for 4" to 8", possibly more but wind driven.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

The guide is key. If I don't get an opportunity this season I plan to hike it with the family this spring/summer. A little recon can't hurt.

Here is your guide:
http://amcstore.outdoors.org/amcstore/product.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3021&pf_id=PAAAIALPLIKIBMNB&

This is a very well established backcountry skiing trail and I doubt you need a guide any more than you would need a guide for a hiking trail. Have fun when you do it! This has been on my to do list for a while but for the distance it is hard to justify when so much else is so close.

MR. evil

Here is your guide:
http://amcstore.outdoors.org/amcstore/product.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3021&pf_id=PAAAIALPLIKIBMNB&

This is a very well established backcountry skiing trail and I doubt you need a guide any more than you would need a guide for a hiking trail. Have fun when you do it! This has been on my to do list for a while but for the distance it is hard to justify when so much else is so close.

I probobly don't need a guide to keep me from getting lost. But seeing how I have never done any BC skiing I would like to go with someone that has some experience.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I probobly don't need a guide to keep me from getting lost. But seeing how I have never done any BC skiing I would like to go with someone that has some experience.
If you have ever hiked, you have all the experience you need. No joke, this is pretty easy stuff. It is just hiking in the winter with skis attached to your feet (or snowshoes for that matter). All the "rookie mistakes" you will make on your first tour will be made before you even leave the house. I can pretty much guarantee that. You may suffer for those mistakes in the field but nothing any one else is going to be able to help you with.

Just saying don't let not having an experienced partner hold you back on a well traveled tour.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
If you have ever hiked, you have all the experience you need. No joke, this is pretty easy stuff. It is just hiking in the winter with skis attached to your feet (or snowshoes for that matter). All the "rookie mistakes" you will make on your first tour will be made before you even leave the house. I can pretty much guarantee that. You may suffer for those mistakes in the field but nothing any one else is going to be able to help you with.

Just saying don't let not having an experienced partner hold you back on a well traveled tour.

+1. The trail is nothing short of obvious. Given current conditions, I'd hold off until it either gets snow replenishment or springtime. I saw some really ugly looking stuff today in the woods. That rain really washed away a lot of base on the steeps.