• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington skiing into June.!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe K needs to build a second stairway to heaven down the Headwall for the spring season. Would make for some funny marketing. 21 lifts and 2 seasonal stairwells

snoseek

Glad to know my season will continue on after our whole abortion of a winter in California, it will be a VERY early spring.

Only problem for me personally is in May it will be weekends and weekends are tough sometimes. Are they long weekends? Mondays or Fridays also?

steamboat1

Glad to know my season will continue on after our whole abortion of a winter in California, it will be a VERY early spring.

Only problem for me personally is in May it will be weekends and weekends are tough sometimes. Are they long weekends? Mondays or Fridays also?
Like I said earlier they were open Fri.-Sun. for the last two weekends last year.

dlague

From there newsletter out today:

It’s no secret The Beast has the longest season in the East, and that’s why we make more snow. Period. Killington snowmakers are still hard at work, building base depths on signature spring trails to ensure skiing and riding into May and, maybe beyond. Pick your dates and load the car – you can save on lift tickets when you fill up at Sunoco, too. Giddy-up!

C-Rex

I wonder if they will do the same to Outer Limits if they get to a point where they feel like they have enough on Superstar. Or maybe they could do a trail to keep a spring terrain park open. Then the bump guys and the park rats could have a big party every weekend. Good times!

Puck it

I wonder if they will do the same to Outer Limits if they get to a point where they feel like they have enough on Superstar. Or maybe they could do a trail to keep a spring terrain park open. Then the bump guys and the park rats could have a big party every weekend. Good times!

OL closes early so they wont.

dlague

From my late April and early May experiences the last two will be Skylark and SS. When I was there in Mid May in the past it was only SS.

steamboat1

Bear usually closes the first weekend of April after the BMMC. Last year they opened both Bear & Needles for one additional Fri.-Sun. after the BMMC because they still had good cover. They were rewarded with a pretty large crowd showing up that weekend because they had announced they would be open earlier in the week This year the BMMC was pushed out to to the second weekend of April because Easter is the first weekend.

steamboat1

Bittersweet maybe in the mix too for early May.
Like I said earlier upper Skyelark & lower Bitter were open till Sat.May 17 last year. The ski area closed Sun. May 18 so it was only one day they weren't still open. The season before I don't remember because I was injured & couldn't ski that year. The year before K still had 4 trails open on closing day, Supe, upper & lower Skyelark & lower Bittersweet.

VTKilarney

How much of this is in response to Sunday River being open first, or the challenge that Sunday River is giving them overall?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not at all. SR closes late April. This is about K and delivering what they've historically been known for. They have no competition in the spring if they go for it.

snoseek

Like I said earlier they were open Fri.-Sun. for the last two weekends last year.

I guess this would be one of those times I wish I worked a normal 9-5. Any idea id the first couple weeks of May they might go seven days?

I guess I could use the exercise and I do like hiking. I bet presidentials are all time next spring...plus free

VTKilarney

Not at all. SR closes late April. This is about K and delivering what they've historically been known for. They have no competition in the spring if they go for it.
Is it safe to assume that elevation would prevent Sunday River from even trying to compete in the spring?

dlague

I guess this would be one of those times I wish I worked a normal 9-5. Any idea id the first couple weeks of May they might go seven days?

I guess I could use the exercise and I do like hiking. I bet presidentials are all time next spring...plus free

They generally go about a week past all others that are still open in May midweek. Last year, when Jay Peak went to a weekend only schedule, Killington stayed open midweek for an additional week.

steamboat1

After the 1st weekend in May they went to a Fri-Sun. only schedule. That's cool with me because once they go to a weekend only schedule my mid-week pass is accepted on weekends.

chuckstah

Sunday River closed on June first once in the 90's, but they don't go for it anymore. They have announced May
2nd closing day this year, with free skiing that day.