• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington skiing into June.!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is it safe to assume that elevation would prevent Sunday River from even trying to compete in the spring?

As Chuckstar pointed out they have gone late. I seem to recall pictures of snow maybe even on July 1st when they blew a glacier on White Heat. It's not elevation that gives Killington an advantage, it's proximity to the NYC market that matters most. Plenty of places with geographic and elevation advantages over K, but they are too far from the city.

xwhaler

I've said it before but if Saddleback had the resources and market demands, they have a really amazing setup for late season ops.
Upper mtn quad, north facing, yurt/deck at bottom of quad to sell burgers/beers. Run the Rangeley up, access the quad via Green Weaver and back down to base via lower green weaver.
A few yrs ago they had May turns and if folks keep showing up I could see them go for it again.
Probably impossible to compete with Sugarloaf but nice to dream!

yeggous

Or that Boyne uses Sugarloaf as the late season option. SR going late would cannibalize SL's business.

Yeah, this the big point. Boyne uses Sunday River early and Sugarloaf late. Peak Resorts is pushing Wildcat on both ends. This allows you to consolidate business at one location.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I've said it before but if Saddleback had the resources and market demands, they have a really amazing setup for late season ops.
Upper mtn quad, north facing, yurt/deck at bottom of quad to sell burgers/beers. Run the Rangeley up, access the quad via Green Weaver and back down to base via lower green weaver.
A few yrs ago they had May turns and if folks keep showing up I could see them go for it again.
Probably impossible to compete with Sugarloaf but nice to dream!
You are so correct. In spring 2010, Sugarloaf was barely holding in early May. When we passed Saddleback, Tightline and other trails off the Kennebago were well covered t2b. Saddleback usually receives more snow per storm that Sugarloaf. But they don't push it on either end, opening on Dec. 15 and closing April 15.

drjeff

Bear usually closes the first weekend of April after the BMMC. Last year they opened both Bear & Needles for one additional Fri.-Sun. after the BMMC because they still had good cover. They were rewarded with a pretty large crowd showing up that weekend because they had announced they would be open earlier in the week This year the BMMC was pushed out to to the second weekend of April because Easter is the first weekend.

That was the weekend of April 20/21 - I was there on Saturday the 20th and the Bear side was a blast!

As I've said many times before, a strong, vibrant K that pushes the season length (both early + late) is a GREAT thing overall for the Northeast Ski business! It both forces other ski areas to up their game and generated buzz amongst the general ski population which helps all ski areas out!

machski

The other separation Killlington has over Sunday River is that Sunday River now uses Barker Pod as late season and that really doesn't have a great set-up for late season. In the past when they went deep, they buried White Heat (and usually Assumption and Starlight off the little white cap quad too) but now White Cap and White Heat get closed early. White Heat still uses SR7 tower guns which make a great product and have great throw distance but are no where near as efficient as SuperStars new SnowLogic dual vector guns. Huge advantage there for Killington in the reduced exxpene to build the glacier.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's good to see SR pushing for the first weekend of May. But, my greater point is that they aren't in position to battle Killington for last to close and has nothing to do with types of snowguns. Killington's strong position in the NYC market and proximity to Boston coupled with favorably late season pricing is by far the best product out there from a business perspective. Saddleback and Sugarloaf could blow snow and easily outlast K, but it just wouldn't make business sense. It's the same reason why Sunday River operates on the weekends to start the season where as K tries to open full time right away.

machski

It's good to see SR pushing for the first weekend of May. But, my greater point is that they aren't in position to battle Killington for last to close and has nothing to do with types of snowguns. Killington's strong position in the NYC market and proximity to Boston coupled with favorably late season pricing is by far the best product out there from a business perspective. Saddleback and Sugarloaf could blow snow and easily outlast K, but it just wouldn't make business sense. It's the same reason why Sunday River operates on the weekends to start the season where as K tries to open full time right away.

True and for SR/Boyne, the larger issue is potentially splitting a small spring skiing demand between 2 relatively close by resorts. Of course, depending on what happens with CNL this could change...

machski

Not fully up to speed but something about this year (2015) they either have to recommit or divest, something about the REIT. Lets just say there have been a lot of whispers and rumors of what may happen up here after this season with respect to sister resorts alligned to SR depending on potential outcomes with CNL.

Jcb890

What can we expect the coverage/conditions to be like at Killington in late April/early May? Do you have to worry about rocks sticking up and/or branches everywhere coming up through the snow base? Killington is my favorite mountain in New England, but I've never gone in April (or later).

dlague

What can we expect the coverage/conditions to be like at Killington in late April/early May? Do you have to worry about rocks sticking up and/or branches everywhere coming up through the snow base? Killington is my favorite mountain in New England, but I've never gone in April (or later).

I never have experienced rocks or anything else until the very last weekend and even then it was more like dirt mixed with snow in the troughs. Also good at putting markers where thin spots are.

Jcb890

I never have experienced rocks or anything else until the very last weekend and even then it was more like dirt mixed with snow in the troughs. Also good at putting markers where thin spots are.

Cool! I'll have to get up there with my board this season. I'll already be up at Killington the weekend of March 14/15.

JoeB-Z

Just bought my Killington spring pass. Goes up $20 after the 28th.

steamboat1

What can we expect the coverage/conditions to be like at Killington in late April/early May? Do you have to worry about rocks sticking up and/or branches everywhere coming up through the snow base?
Depends, sometimes yes, sometimes no. They've made May easily the past two seasons. Year before they closed in April. The last weekend there's usually always some hiking involved. They've made a ton of snow this year & seem to be pushing it but mother nature could always have something else planned.

chuckstah

Snowmakers are lighting up lower Superstar as of about 5 pm with old school air/water guns. Also building the pile on the summit. Working their way up the lower headwall. Crappy pic.

Attachments

• 1424907801344.jpg
    1424907801344.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 92