• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's talk Kryptons

drjeff

Great, just when I was ready to pull the trigger on a new pair of boots (I've got basically 200 days on my current pair of Lange's) I go and read these last 2 pages of left/right/who knows what liner is in which boot :rolleyes: ;) Even looked at a pair of Krypton's last weekend.

Probably going to go with another pair of Lange's though as I've been skiing on basically their race boot since 1984 and have a rainbow of colors of old Langes in my basement to show for it :) Basically I've got a stock Lange foot, where essentially all that I need to have done is have a new footbed made and properly trimmed/installed and that's been it for my last 5 pairs of Langes - buckle up in the baselodge, unbuckle at the end of the day, and warm, comfy feet all day on except on the coldest of days. :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Go with what works for you. I skied Lange's for YEARS and loved them. I equally love the Kryptons though, no matter how bass ackwards my experience has been :lol:

Trekchick

I am not a Krypton expert, but I've been through boot sizing woes. It's entirely possible (and I'm not speaking for Gary, I'm talking in general) for a "bootfitter" (I'm using the term loosely here) to put a person in a boot that is 1-2 shell sizes too big based upon what that customer tells them they'll use the boot for. Someone who proclaims himself to be a recreational skier will usually end up in a larger shell, whereas someone who claims they want performance will have a closer fit. You have to be honest about what you want from your boots.

The other thing you're bringing up is that yes, different lines, and different styles of boots in the same line, will fit differently. Again, I am not intimately familiar with Kryptons as I don't have them, but you'll find that there will be variations in the toe box width, for example. Some "fitters" will put customers into a larger shell to make up for the toe box not being wide enough. Not always a great move, but it happens a lot.

My first pair of boots were at least 1 shell size too big. I was moved down from 26.0 Salomon Performa 4.0s (beginner cheapo boot) to 25.0 Nordica Olympia Beasts (supposedly more advanced of a boot than the Salomons). In all honesty, as my boots pack out, I'm almost wishing I had gone down 1 more shell size. I had an opportunity to pick up a pair of Dalbello Storms in 24.5 and now I wish I had; I feel like I have a little too much room in my Nordicas. For reference, I wear a women's size 10 shoe which is about a men's size 8 or 8.5, IIRC. If you go by sizing charts for ski boots (which are notoriously wrong), I should be in 27.0 mondo boots.

Be careful about putting your foot into a boot that's too big. A great deal isn't a great deal if it doesn't work for your feet.
You just never know when an opportunity may arise for you to pick up a good used pair of Kryptons size 24.5 ;)

I'm amazed at how much of a difference a good boot fit can make an impact on skiing.
I had a slight cuff alignment done with my Kryzmas at the beginning of the season, then added a 1*shim in that same boot to reinforce the cuff adjustment. After skiing on them a bit then going back to stock to see the difference.......I wanted my adjustments back NOW!!!!

I love love love that little bag of tricks that came with my Kryptons!!!!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You just never know when an opportunity may arise for you to pick up a good used pair of Kryptons size 24.5 ;)
Evil temptress!!!! :p

The thing is, I asked for pro opinions at the time. One opinion was that it could be made to work, even if I needed a little blowing out of the shell. The other opinion was that I was in the right boot and size and that it wasn't worth the effort. I don't fault anyone for their opinions because they both made sense at the time; I decided to just make what I had work. And it has been working beautifully this season. It's just that they're starting to get loose after 20 days on the snow; these boots should have a lot more life left in them. Then again, I didn't know when I started out this season that I would want that much closer of a fit. Live and learn.

Trekchick

Severine, its amazing how our gear makes such a difference when we make strides in our skills and confidence, eh?

We need to get together. I miss you!

Trekchick

Carrie...Look familiar?
n830505017_1332279_3230.jpg

Trekchick

I can't believe that I took that picture two years ago when I was joking with my little sister about being torn between the seasons.
All I need is a mt bike and I'm all set, eh?
Need to update with my new boots :D

Greg

Staff member
Got a full season in with them and by far the best ski boot I've worn.

My verdict is that I no longer need to look into getting any other boot.

unreal, 31 pages of Krypton/Dalbello love and yet no one on here even nibbled at the brand new size 27.5 Il Moro that I offered up for $250 in the fall...well, now its spring, tell your friends, $200 for a size 27.5 new, in the box, never molded, never skied Il Moro. PM me if interested.

bvibert

Staff member
unreal, 31 pages of Krypton/Dalbello love and yet no one on here even nibbled at the brand new size 27.5 Il Moro that I offered up for $250 in the fall...well, now its spring, tell your friends, $200 for a size 27.5 new, in the box, never molded, never skied Il Moro. PM me if interested.

Do you have a link to the thread? That's too small for my feet unfortunately...

Hawkshot99

That is right at shop form. I would love to own a pair of kryptons, but they need to make a fat feet version of them.

Trekchick

http://forums.alpinezone.com/39332-lets-talk-kryptons-post334245.html?highlight=Moro#post334245

My bad, I didn't create my own thread, just dropped it into the discussion. I'll try again with a new FS thread.

What year are these?
With the gold chain or no?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I would love to own a pair of kryptons, but they need to make a fat feet version of them.
Brian has wide feet. ;) They looked at his feet and didn't think he was a Krypton man. He's proven that he is. :D

I also have feet that don't appear to be Krypton feet but when I tried them on, I loved them. The ones I have now are a bit more of a performance fit than my Nordica Olympia Beasts (and may not work in the end because of that; a little less than 1 finger's width behind my heel when shell fit) but I was feeling like I wanted a closer fitting boot than what I have in my Beasts. We'll see how it goes next season. ;

Last edited: