• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poles?

Poles or no poles?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

• Sometimes!

• Vikings!!!!

• Total voters

atomic68

I ski with 2 poles but only plant the right due to my left shoulders tendency to dislocate- last time i planted my left pole was in 98 at mt snow on a flat trail with 6 fresh inches....the pole got stuck and out came the shoulder....it was already a pre existing condition at that point which is why it came out so easy......since im a righty anyhow my dominent pole was the right so i still plant that and have adapted to not plant on the left turns...and i can still ski bumps if i want to

JimG.

Staff member
atomic68 said:
I ski with 2 poles but only plant the right due to my left shoulders tendency to dislocate- last time i planted my left pole was in 98 at mt snow on a flat trail with 6 fresh inches....the pole got stuck and out came the shoulder....it was already a pre existing condition at that point which is why it came out so easy......since im a righty anyhow my dominent pole was the right so i still plant that and have adapted to not plant on the left turns...and i can still ski bumps if i want to

Again, it's how your using the poles. Don't "plant", touch lightly. If you're planting, your putting too much weight on the pole and using it as a crutch. Or maybe the touch is a plant because the poles are too long. In either case, the force you generate planting instead of touching is the reason your shoulder pops out.

The issue probably isn't even the poles, it's probably more a function of your balance or your stance.

NHpowderhound

atomic68 wrote
I ski with 2 poles but only plant the right due to my left shoulders tendency to dislocate
My Atomic poles have a feature where under several pounds of pressure the wrist strap will seperate from the top of the handle. I also always remove both straps when skiing in the woods.
Diddnt we discuss this topic in another thread? Still a good one and deserves a "bump" if it was. :D
((*
*))NHPH

Tyrolean_skier

As previously stated, poles are very important for balance and can help you in tight situations. I don't know how old you are but I just bought my daughter who is 5 a set of poles. She will learn how to properly use them this year.

skibum1321

WICKEDBUMPER said:
"I also always remove both straps when skiing in the woods"
great point.
straps off in the woods. always.
I actually never use my straps. Sure, every now and then I drop a pole, but that is rare and I'd rather drop a pole than be stuck to it.

atomic68

your right & ive learned.... definitely planted too hard that day because I was young and dumb (still dumb just not as young) and fired up that run, hot dogging a little with a large group of people in the fresh snow on some small easy bumps....but it was a pre existing condition for years....wasnt the first time it popped (once in hockey, once benching), but was the first time on the slopes (and hopefully the last)....even the day before was real warm and we actually finsihed a fall clean up we were doing "on the side" and I had stretched some ligaments pulling a very heavy tarp of wet leaves but didnt realize how extra vulnerable id be that next day due to that strain....I also had the straps on that day at snow....Ive ended that habit too....

awf170

skibum1321 said:
WICKEDBUMPER said:
"I also always remove both straps when skiing in the woods"
great point.
straps off in the woods. always.
I actually never use my straps. Sure, every now and then I drop a pole, but that is rare and I'd rather drop a pole than be stuck to it.

I never use the straps either, its just because Im to lazy though... for some reason Ill never let go of my poles anyway. I have talking wipeouts where I lost both skis and still never let go of my poles

thaller1

Granola Dude said:
I know this may seem like a stupid question, but...

Do you prefer poles, or no poles?

personally, i was taught without poles and thats what i shaped my technique around. I've tried poles, but they just seem to get in the way... lol

what do you guys think?

I prefer poles...I didn't think I would... but whenever I get a bit out of control or lose my focus ..all I have to do is pole plant and I'm back on track..

What kinda' Bimmer do you have? I have a 2 Bimmer family.

highpeaksdrifter

No one has mentioned this, but if you didn't have poles how would you stop?

On another topic, how do you tell your left ski from your right?

I wear 2 pair of thick socks to make my boots fit better. How many pair do you guys use?

JimG.

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:

I wear 2 pair of thick socks to make my boots fit better. How many pair do you guys use?

You apparently took my advice from another thread to start drinking and smoking heavily.

ctenidae

Easy- fall down.

I can't tell my left hand from my right. Why would I bother with the skis?

1.5, but the .5 doesn't go on my feet.

thaller1

highpeaksdrifter said:

You can't stop without your poles? How do you stop ? I just come to a hockey stop..no poles needed. :eek:

highpeaksdrifter

thaller1 said:
You can't stop without your poles? How do you stop ? I just come to a hockey stop..no poles needed. :eek:

You're kiddin me. What are you some sort of extreme skier or something. I wait till I'm slowing down on the flats then I stick my poles in front of me as hard as I can. Sometimes it hurts though, but that's a small price to pay for a day at skiing.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
goode compositites :beer: all the way.

good point regarding the plant vs. touching. i remember early lessons always teaching me to "pole plant". i generally only use a full plant for hop turns (the goode's provide some great rebound) and for really technical and slow turns requiring a lot of precise moves. everything else is usually a touch or slightly pressing but not planting if i'm off balance.

NHpowderhound

Pole "plants" should involve the wrists, not the whole arm or body. Just a "flick" or a "tap" is all thats needed. When using straps,dont just put your hand down through the top of the strap.Instead,go from underneath. Put your hand through the bottom of the strap so when you grasp the pole, the strap cradles your thumb on one side and goes around the outside of your palm by the pinky finger on the other side. Then all you need to do is gently squeeze the handgrip and the pole will "flick" effortlessly to and fro. That simple piece of advice was one of the things that springboarded me from intermediate to expert. Linking parallel turns with timing and grace followed quickly. Along with my confidence in the bumps.
((*
*))NHPH

deadheadskier

Staff member
I won't get into the merits of the pole plant vs flick arguement. Skiers utilize poles for balance and initiating a turn, nothing more. They make you concentrate on keeping your core stable and square to the the fall line.

I personally use and have for many many years whatever the latest rendition is of the black and gold Scott USA poles. Trusted ole reliables for me. Think I bought my current pair four years ago or so and they work just fine for me.

dipiro

Website
www.mogulskiing.blogspot.com
About poles helping your balance... I think of it in terms of points-of-contact. The more points of contact you have with the snow, the more you know about the changing terrain beneath you, and the better your balance.

Your skis are your first and second points of contact with the snow. Touch the snow with your pole and you have a third point, a third reference, a third source of info about where the snow surface is and where you are in relation to it, all of which means better balance.

Without physically supporting yourself with the pole (then it's a crutch), you just collect information through the pole plant. Even skiers who don't make pole plants and only drag their baskets along the snow all day long will have better balance with poles because they have those additional points of contact.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
dipiro said:
The more points of contact you have with the snow, the more you know about the changing terrain beneath you, and the better your balance.

You know that's very true...

I often have several points of contact with the snow... my ass, my back, my stomach, arms, head, etc...

That tells me a great deal about the terrain!

It also helps my balance, because I very rarely fall back up on my feet once I'm on my ass

:beer:

JimG.

Staff member
dipiro said:
About poles helping your balance... I think of it in terms of points-of-contact. The more points of contact you have with the snow, the more you know about the changing terrain beneath you, and the better your balance.

Without physically supporting yourself with the pole (then it's a crutch), you just collect information through the pole plant.

You are skillful at boiling things down to the essentials.

The point of contact scenario is a good one, especially for upper level skiers. For those learning to use the poles for the first time properly, I find it is extremely important to emphasize a light touch and not a hard plant.

Undoing "pole crutch" syndrome is a bitch.