• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Snowboard "Sunglasses" Instead of Goggles during good weather. Yes, No, or Who Knows?

MidnightJester

I am not sure if I remember ever seeing sunglasses during the Seasons I have been riding except maybe spring riding. Who has used one and can you say anything about them? It seems like they would only be good for "Good or Better" Skiers and Boarders cause crashing with them would suck.

I can only really see the use for Hiking, Skinning and Cross-Country but only with good weather. Or those trying to look cool going down a mountain on Greens and Blues.

Treeline

shopping
$90 plus

Oakley
oakley-jaw-breaker-oo9290-05-hd-1_fa8392c6-7e67-4a96-84a1-5fff97974059.jpg
$200 plus

Obermeyer Rallye​

10579894x1012905_zm
$400 Plus

ThatGuy

Your helmet wont work right if you have sunglasses on. They’re used for touring more than resort riding

MidnightJester

Your helmet wont work right if you have sunglasses on. They’re used for touring more than resort riding
Must be why all the advertisements and commercials I saw for these sunglasses had them all wearing Hats or nothing lol

chuckstah

Hat and sunglasses in the hot spring weather 100 percent.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Glacier glasses on warm spring days with little wind for me. I have DANG Shades and classic Julbos.

2Planker

Been wearing shades for 40 years.
Goggles if its below 20 or super windy. Yes, you need to find something that doesn’t interfere w/ your helmet

KustyTheKlown

think you're really overthinking it with the ski specific sunglasses in your first post. i wear ray ban wayfarers every day of my life. on warm days in the spring i wear them while skiing.

BodeMiller1

Varney or Ray - Ban Aviators

With a Baltimore Orioles hat

I'm as cool as a body on ice...

Woof

BodeMiller1

pit vipers for spring days n park laps
Who skis parks and if you do who laps them?

Although I do like to hit WHo - Ville at SR.

And it can be fun to hit Tuckerbrook at Cannon when the mood hits me. Slaying Robins nest "glade". Nailed it...

deadheadskier

Staff member

When I buy a new helmet, I convert the replaced helmet into a "spring helmet." I remove the ear padding and that creates the space for the sunglasses to comfortably fit over my ears.

This combination makes for a much cooler skiing experience in the spring while still offering a bit of protection.

Smellytele

The only concussion I got was when skiing with sunglasses and a helmet. Hit soft sticky snow and flew forward. Without goggles my helmet slipped back as I hit my forehead. If I had goggles on the helmet wouldn't have slipped back because the goggles would have hit first. I don't ski with sunglasses. I am not cool, never have been and sunglasses won't help me be cool.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I pretty much only do the helmet with sunglasses thing on 55+ sunny, spring days. Maybe 2-3 times a spring. I definitely realize I'm sacrificing safety even skiing relatively slow, sticky snow while typically in bumps. The added airflow around my forehead and ears makes a difference in temperature regulation during those hot days.

Edd

Can’t ski with sunglasses at any temp or speed. I’ll wear them on the lift in spring, putting the goggles up to cool off the face.

jimk

Can’t ski with sunglasses at any temp or speed. I’ll wear them on the lift in spring, putting the goggles up to cool off the face.
Same here. Last time I wore sunglasses while skiing was a sunny, spring day at Heavenly in 2015. I had a cowboy hat on that day and the shades worked better than any goggles with the hat. But I strongly recall that my eyes watered a great deal that day. That's also the last time I wore a cowboy hat even though a have a couple for "retro" days. In recent years it's always a helmet and goggles.

Having said above, I wore sunglasses and soft ski hats on and off for 40 years on non-snowy days before I began regularly wearing a helmet around 15 years ago. I think I tolerated the sunglasses back in the old days because my eyes were younger and I tended not to get "dry eyes" so easily. Ironically, I also think I skied slower as a young person than I do now because I mostly skied smaller East Coast hills and I did more bump runs than long, steep groomers.

Had to chuckle about OPs photo of the $400 Obermeyer Rallye. Here's a photo of me at Hunter in 1985 wearing a similar pair of sunglasses that I probably got for about $10 ;)
hunter aerial jim 1985.jpeg

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

Admitting you ski with a cowboy hat? Billy the kid?

If you have a tight fit, you can do it around here above 27.4F. Depending on: wind, beer consumption. sun angle and snow bunny presence.

edit: No helmet, maybe if I suffer a severe head injury, I might jump ship.

abc

I am not sure if I remember ever seeing sunglasses during the Seasons I have been riding except maybe spring riding. Who has used one and can you say anything about them? It seems like they would only be good for "Good or Better" Skiers and Boarders cause crashing with them would suck.
I don’t “ride”. I only ski.

To me, helmet is optional. The only time I remember falling and hitting my head was when I tried to learn to board. Since giving up on learning to board, my head hadn’t touch snow. My hip & shoulder took the few falls I‘ve had.

That said, helmet + goggle is good in deflecting branches when skiing in tight trees.

I can only really see the use for Hiking, Skinning and Cross-Country but only with good weather. Or those trying to look cool going down a mountain on Greens and Blues
Huh?

Have you ever hike/skin/xc ski? Good weather or otherwise?

Goggle would be unbearably hot and steamy! :( Even worse in “good“ weather!

Last edited: