• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Snowboard "Sunglasses" Instead of Goggles during good weather. Yes, No, or Who Knows?

SteezyRob

How do ski helmet manufacturers get away with producing a structurally compromised product? Not even a warning sticker? I would consider one of those full face helmets, but I am still a little sensitive to being mocked by ski bums and teenagers.
good choice. it doesn't matter how good of a skier you are, if you wear full face you might as well quit lol. all about the looks.

Domeskier

I agree that goggles can add an layer of protection that glasses do not. Full face helmets also provide an additional layer of protection that open face helmets do not. But if a helmet cannot stay put on your head without goggles, that seems like a defective helmet (if not user error). If goggles are actually required to keep a ski helmet in place, and manufacturers are not including goggles with their helmets (or at least providing appropriate warnings), they are selling a compromised product and setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

I never knew I was such an outlier. Large prescription sunglasses 90% of the time. I will check the helmet fit now though. I always struggle with fogging, OTG fit etc. with gogles. The optical clarity of polarized, mirrored prescription sunglasses is something I really like.

Boxtop Willie

And I thought I was the only one...I really dislike goggles. Almost always wear sunglasses except in the absolutely worst weather (storms or -0) Oakley Half Jacket with XLR lenses. They seem to work OK with my Smith helmet. Truth be told, not a real fan of helmets either (way to warm even with all the vents open) but some things you just gotta wear.

cdskier

I could never wear sunglasses skiing. My eyes tear like crazy with any sort of wind blowing in them (whether it is a cold or warm wind).

shawnanigans

When it's too warm for goggles I prefer tinted safety glasses with the side skirts. They are dirt cheap, won't shatter, the side skirts help to keep the eyes from watering and they seem to fit fine with my helmet.

A second pair of goggles is way too bulky, and I've yet to find a pair of goggles with a lens swapping system that is anything more than a gimmick.

Have you tried a newer pair of goggles with magnetic lens change? I have been running Blenders version for a while now (well over 250 days) and they have never popped out during use including a few good crashes. They are very easy to swap lenses and work much better than older pairs that I had with little plastic tabs that never seemed to seal correctly. Some of my friends have other brands of magnetic lens and also seem to like them and swap easily. If you decide to check out Blenders, sign up for email/follow them on social and you'll definitely be able to catch a good sale in short time.

crank

I used to wear glacier glasses...but that was in the 1980's.

Yellow or amber lens goggles now. Looking into getting OTG goggles. I have not tried skiing with my driving glasses on but I do most everything else in them.

JoeB-Z

My Italian forefathers in the Dolomites gifted me with a physiognomomy that works in the wind and cold! I do break out the goggles when it is savage.

OebDowns

Absolutely, it sounds like you've got the perfect set-up for skiing and snowboarding in good weather! With that Dolomite heritage, sunglasses might just be your best bet. But hey, when things get wild, it's always good to have those goggles handy, right? Stay safe out there on the slopes! And if you ever need gear, don't forget to check out Full Source for all your skiing needs.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Genuinely shocked reading how many people "cant" wear sunglasses because either their eyes tear up or because they "cant" be worn under helmets.

To the latter, you're wrong, it is not the sunglasses, it is your particular helmet model.

To the former, I've worn sunglasses for multiple decades now whenever it's sunny, warm'ish, and there's no face-freezing wind. You simply need to buy sunglasses that wrap around your eye's periphery so that no airflow gets in there even at higher skiing speeds. If no airflow's getting in there, just like with your goggles, your eyes will not tear up. Cheap, $12, TJMaxx clearance beach style sunglasses with UV protection do the job just swimmingly.

Last edited:

skiur

Most of the time I ski with sunglasses it's in the spring and everything is bumped up so I'm not going fast enough to make my eyes tear. I'm good up to about 25-30 mph before my eyes start to tear and I rarely get that fast i my on warm sunny days.

letitsnow1

I wear sunglasses occasionally in the spring but I prefer goggles, not sure why.

I think those pit vipers look stupid