• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush Lift Fail: Feb. 2014 Edition

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump. Guess what is the main focus this summer?

We did have some lift issues which I addressed in an earlier Win's Word, but I do understand everyone's frustration when a lift is down. Lifts are always a top priority for us when we prepare our annual capital budget. This year they will be the top priority. Our lift maintenance team is reviewing every lift in consultation with our lift manufacturers. In addition to the normal extensive preventative maintenance that we do each summer, we are evaluating which lifts to invest additional mechanical or electrical system upgrades. We are also in the process of preparing to replace the Valley House lift with a fixed-grip quad. This will give us more uphill capacity and also allow us to reshape the unloading area that will make that part of the mountain immensely more pleasant. We are currently getting bids from the lift manufacturers and proceeding with permitting.
In the past several years, we have spent significantly on snowmaking, new groomers, roads, our base lodges and the SHARC. This year the vast majority of our capital will be going into lifts to make sure that they operate reliably as well as safely.
While our skier visits are down slightly from last year, this has still been a successful year for us, and we greatly appreciate your continued support.

twinplanx

Village double.

Well the village double is a beginner lift... The Valley House Double, on the other hand does offer access to some fine terrain. And if they plan on "reshaping the unloading area" they might as well bring the loading area the extra 30' down to the base...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

steamboat1

Well the village double is a beginner lift... The Valley House Double, on the other hand does offer access to some fine terrain. And if they plan on "reshaping the unloading area" they might as well bring the loading area the extra 30' down to the base...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk
One problem with that plan for VH. There's a base lodge in the way. The village double has been already slated for replacement this year. Haven't heard anything about replacing VH this year except for a fixed grip quad sometime in the future but not this year..

Last edited:

slatham

Friend of mine was a lift super back in the day. When they replaced the bottom drive terminal of the Valley House lift, they did so with a capacity for the lift to be a quad. If true, then having that in place already and not needing to replace it greatly changes the economics of replacing the lift where it is vs moving the base terminal down the mountain.

This past weekend there were issues with Heavens Gate. Mechanical and wind hold flipping back and forth. But yesterday afternoon wind hold (morning winds were bad) didn't seem to be justified by the winds I experienced. Call me a cynic. That said, the lift started on wind hold today and then ran. In any event, I hope they have a busy but productive summer and this becomes a thing of the past.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Skier visits down? Haven't been to Sugarbush this year, but I'd think visits are up for the whole Northeast since we've gotten a lot of snow in the flatlands and a decent amount in ski country.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skier visits down? Haven't been to Sugarbush this year, but I'd think visits are up for the whole Northeast since we've gotten a lot of snow in the flatlands and a decent amount in ski country.

Hard to say that. MLK weekend was a bust, which is huge for skier visits. Hell, things were pretty crappy snow / weather wise from pretty much NYE until Valentine's Day.

This season is weird. We had a good start and two significant events in February and March, but so many storms were followed up with warm ups and or rain.

All my non-skiing flatland friends have said, "wow, this must be an amazing ski season." I still contend it's been barely average. The snow pack is above average for this time of year, but the overall conditions this season don't reflect that abundance in my opinion.

deadheadskier

Staff member

steamboat1

New England winters do tend to be erratic. All I'm saying is that this one has been more erratic than the average year.

This years January thaw was one of the worst I can ever remember. It's very rare that Smuggs looks like this http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/127581-Smuggs-1-14-14 in January.
Hey the place was open. I remember years when northern/central VT. areas closed in the middle of the season because of lack of snow & or ice. If not for snowmaking/grooming things would be pretty much the same. Just look at MRG for example. How many days have they lost this season? Heck the first year MRG was supposed to open they couldn't because of lack of snow. That was 1949 I believe. Nothings changed. Of course some years are better than others but all I'm saying is there's nothing unusual about this season. Happens all the time in the northeast.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, what your saying is you're old and you're winning for remembering times that pre-date modern snowmaking?

Congrats!

MommaBear

All my non-skiing flatland friends have said, "wow, this must be an amazing ski season." I still contend it's been barely average.

I am so sick of hearing that this year from clients. I agree, this is not one of the better years.

Newpylong

This absolutely is one of the better years, and I am sure the skier visit #'s will show it. There was only a short January thaw but otherwise it has been cold and from what I can see a decent amount of natural.

I have 2-3 feet in the woods here in the Upper Valley. We closed out Whaleback this weekend 100% open.

MommaBear

Maybe its just my timing then this year. Less days on snow and quality wasnt there when I was.

4aprice

Timing is always important. Doesn't matter which year you're talking about.

Yea and I feel badly for MB, but this year its been harder to miss then hit. I understand NNE has been feeling a little left out till recently but anything with snowmaking is piled deep with snow right now, and it doesn't look to be ending anytime soon. I have heard from some others who have been disappointed but the seasons not over yet.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

We'll probably have good spring skiing , with lots more open trails than in the past, and close up with lots of still-ski-able terrain.

Not necessarily, You'd be surprised how fast they can lose the snow with a prolonged warm up & rain. Then again I think you already know that. Lets just hope it doesn't happen, at least for awhile.

fbrissette

Not necessarily, You'd be surprised how fast they can lose the snow with a prolonged warm up & rain. Then again I think you already know that. Lets just hope it doesn't happen, at least for awhile.

Agreed. Extended spring skiing is only loosely correlated to snowpack depth. A freakish 2 day period with high temperatures and rain can pretty much close all runs with natural snow in most resorts.