• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush Lift Fail: Feb. 2014 Edition

thetrailboss

Staff member
Timing is always important. Doesn't matter which year you're talking about.

Exactly. The fact that there is a lot of snow now only means that they might lose less money. Still probably a loss.

Not necessarily, You'd be surprised how fast they can lose the snow with a prolonged warm up & rain. Then again I think you already know that. Lets just hope it doesn't happen, at least for awhile.

Right.

HowieT2

fwiw-Win said that as of last week, SB skier visits were down 5% year on year. xmas through valentines day were as bad as it gets. brutally freezing temperatures tend to keep people inside.

this past storm included, n. vt is way below average snowfall.

thetrailboss

Staff member
fwiw-Win said that as of last week, SB skier visits were down 5% year on year. xmas through valentines day were as bad as it gets. brutally freezing temperatures tend to keep people inside.

Sadly, again, timing is key. They had no snow during two out of three key periods and lift problems on the third. Sounds like focus on skiing infrastructure is back on the table.

steamboat1

Sadly, again, timing is key. They had no snow during two out of three key periods and lift problems on the third. Sounds like focus on skiing infrastructure is back on the table.

Heavens Gate was closed for a good part of the week/weekend after the snow this week from what I've heard. Thurs., which was probably one of the best powder days of the year, Mt. Ellen was completely shut down.

HowieT2

Heavens Gate was closed for a good part of the week/weekend after the snow this week from what I've heard. Thurs., which was probably one of the best powder days of the year, Mt. Ellen was completely shut down.
That's correct. Wind holds Thursday. I skied lp Thursday and mt Ellen Friday for the freshiess. And Sunday they had a mechanical issue with heavens gate that shut it down for about an hour. Worked out for me as I got all untouched at mt Ellen Friday and Saturday. Also got a run on ripcord before the lift went down on Sunday.
heres a link to video of my first run Thursday morning at about 9:15. The wind is obvious throughout, but when I stop about 2 minutes in, you can really see how strong it was. But for the wind, it was great day, although the skin on my nose is peeling from frostbite/windburn.
http://youtu.be/wRDj6d01YJw

thetrailboss

Staff member

Yeah as you know ME gets its fair share of windholds....unfortunately.

HowieT2

Yeah as you know ME gets its fair share of windholds....unfortunately.

Like I said, I skied lp Thursday and was not unhappy that me was closed, if you know what I mean. The winds Thursday were nothing short of brutal as they often are on the back end of strong storm.

2knees

Like I said, I skied lp Thursday and was not unhappy that me was closed, if you know what I mean. The winds Thursday were nothing short of brutal as they often are on the back end of strong storm.

Why argue when you skied North the day after and it was untouched? I skied north on friday and it was infuckingcredible.

Euler

I just looked at the online data for the Mansfield stake yesterday and it had popped up to slightly above average.

HowieT2

I just looked at the online data for the Mansfield stake yesterday and it had popped up to slightly above average.
true but thats the snow depth, not the snowfall. what been missing this season is the upslope events of super light Champlain powder. While that stuff doesnt add much to the base because its so light, it usually provides consistent refreshes of the surface. The seasonal snowfall is well below average.
also, the graph you are referring to is somewhat skewed. too complicated for me to explain but there is an explanation on famousinternetskiers.com from last year. The snow depth is actually a little below average.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
true but thats the snow depth, not the snowfall. What been missing this season is the upslope events of super light champlain powder. While that stuff doesnt add much to the base because its so light, it usually provides consistent refreshes of the surface. The seasonal snowfall is well below average.
Also, the graph you are referring to is somewhat skewed. Too complicated for me to explain but there is an explanation on famousinternetskiers.com from last year. The snow depth is actually a little below average.

Snowlover returns!!!

slatham

NWS reports BTV at 94% of normal snow FALL YTD. This was as of last week so after the storm. I would guess that the areas are more below average than that due to the before mentioned lack of upslope events. But averages and YTD totals don't tell the story. The problem was the rather large snow "hole" in January that happened to come after a thaw. So a core of the midwinter basically sucked.

HowieT2

NWS reports BTV at 94% of normal snow FALL YTD. This was as of last week so after the storm. I would guess that the areas are more below average than that due to the before mentioned lack of upslope events. But averages and YTD totals don't tell the story. The problem was the rather large snow "hole" in January that happened to come after a thaw. So a core of the midwinter basically sucked.

true. BTV is close to average, but not the mountains.

moguler6

N.Vt is below normal for the year, but catching up. A good finish to march and most mountains will be approaching normal. January did suck with the thaw and multiple NCP events which lead to late openings for a lot of terrain. Last Thursday was the 1st day all season that everything at Killington was legitimately open, not sketchy open. I'd put this season down as a very late starter. Let's hope for a good finish.

Here's were Jay stands historically. Currently at 268" on the season:
http://www.jaypeakresort.com/skiing-riding/the-mountain/snowfall-charts?view=alltime#charts

And Killington historically. Currently at 177" on the season:
http://www.killington.com/winter/mountain/mountain_info/historical_weather

tumbler

Back on topic:
***Heaven's Gate terrain will be open for hiking access only from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM through Thursday until a new lift motor is installed. Heaven's Gate is schedule to spin by Friday.***

thetrailboss

Staff member
Back on topic:
***Heaven's Gate terrain will be open for hiking access only from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM through Thursday until a new lift motor is installed. Heaven's Gate is schedule to spin by Friday.***

Wow. Seriously?! :blink: Fire up the Lincoln Limo.

What a terrible year for Sugarbush.

WWF-VT

Wow. Seriously?! :blink: Fire up the Lincoln Limo.

What a terrible year for Sugarbush.

"terrible year" ? The lift has had issues and is getting a new motor. It's midweek in late March and not a lot of traffic on the mountain. It's better to fix it now and hopefully avoid issues through April.

tumbler

It's the second motor this year for Heaven's Gate. I'd say that's a terrible year.