• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Plans

snowsprite

So what is everyone doing this summer?

I am planning a trip to the Grand Canyon for early Sept, organizing my garage and the "spare room" (otherwise known as the Black Hole), stepping up the workout routine, feeding my ipod (ripping my hundreds of cds), and shopping for new ski boots. We will probably head to Jersey Six Flags to ride Kingda Ka too. Keeping as busy as possible 'til the snow flies again. 8)

I'm also researching travel plans for next summer believe it or not. I already have a lot of info re: skiing in S. America which I want to do but have fallen thru for 2 summers in a row. We're now thinking of a slightly different plan though: doing a few days skiing and then head to Machu Picchu or Easter Island for some exploring. Anyone here ever been to either place by chance?

Sprite

thetrailboss

Staff member
Summer? Will there be summer? With this weather, am thinking about getting the skis back out :roll:

Plans: well, we're going to visit Bates College for significant other's sister's commencement this weekend. Should be fun. May be stopping to look at something for Ms. Trailboss :wink:

I turn a quarter-century old on June 17th, so will celebrate with a BBQ and short hike. If it rains (ugh) :x will go to the New England Ski Museum instead.

July brings a week long vacation in Old Orchard, ME...that is always fun.

August..moving BACK north :beer:

In between...hiking the rest of the Wapack, relaxing, getting ready for law school :roll: My hiking season has pretty much been non-existant with this weather :evil:

TenPeaks

Nothing big for me this summer. I'll be hiking and camping a few times each month and hope to get a couple backpacking trips in. I've also got some work planned for around the house, like building a patio and ripping wallpaper off some walls.

I visited Machu Picchu back in '97. It's a beautiful place and has lots to explore. If you have the time take the hike up to Machu Picchu peak. I don't recall it's real name, but it's the mountain that's in all the pictures. The hike only takes about an hour to get to the top and is definitely worth it. I'd also suggest spending a night in the small town at the bottom of the mountain. That way you can explore the ruins into the late evening when most of the tourists leave. You can also catch a bus up to the ruins the next morning to do some exploring before all the tourists get there. Have a great trip. It's a beautiful and facinating place.

TenPeaks

I don't know how this slipped my mind, but I just got back from this year's big summer trip. I was in Las Vegas with my wife all last week and while there we rented a car and explored Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon. Too much to tell in this post. We had an awesome time and saw many wonderful things.

On our last day in Vegas we drove out to Death Valley. It's an eerie, beautiful and HOT place. The temperature reached 113F, but with the wind chill it felt more like 101F :)

dmc

Working on the house and playing in my bands at a ton of parties...
Going to try and do a lot of fishing, swimming, mountain biking and hiking...

nekgirl

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
BONNAROO Festival June 10-12! wooohoooo!!!! :beer: :lol: 8) :beer:

Anyone else?

snowsprite

TenPeaks, we've been advised to go in Sept. But it's looking like maybe late August. We are going to roast our arses off! :eek:

Also how far out to Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon from Vegas?

Thanks! :)

TenPeaks said:
I don't know how this slipped my mind, but I just got back from this year's big summer trip. I was in Las Vegas with my wife all last week and while there we rented a car and explored Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon. Too much to tell in this post. We had an awesome time and saw many wonderful things. :x

On our last day in Vegas we drove out to Death Valley. It's an eerie, beautiful and HOT place. The temperature reached 113F, but with the wind chill it felt more like 101F :)

TenPeaks

Also how far out to Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon from Vegas?

Zion is about 150 miles or a 2.5 hour drive from Vegas and can easily be done in a day. Bryce is about 80 miles from Zion (2 hour drive).

On my trip I drove from Vegas to the Zion Visitor Center where I met a friend who lives in the area. We did some day hikes then headed back to his house near the north end of the park. The next day I drove from there to Bryce by following Interstate 15 to Rt. 20 to 89 then to Bryce. I stayed in a hotel just outside the canyon that night. The next morning I drove to the north rim of the Grand Canyon following Rt. 89. After a couple hours at the canyon I returned to Vegas by going back up Rt. 89 and then followed Rt. 9 through Zion and back to the highway. That day was over 300 miles of driving!

To get to Bryce from Zion you could save a few miles by following Rt. 9 through Zion and then head for Bryce that way. My route was a bit more convenient since I was closer to Rt. 20 at the time.

Another thing to consider is visiting Cedar Breaks National Monument just north of Zion. I couldn't get there because the road was still buried under 20 feet of snow. It's rumored to be a spectacular place.

Finally, before you go do yourself a favor and pick up a National Park pass. It's $50, good for 1 year, will save you a ton of cash (each park has a $20 entrance fee) and very convenient.

pizza

Website
www.tursi.com
NoodleRod said:
Has anyone ever gone to "Burning Man Festival" ?
What is it about ?? :-?

burning man used to be a multi-day underground outdoor rave complete with drugs, desert, and techno culminating in a giant figurine being burned in a massive bonfire. it was cool.. ten years ago.

lately, however, it sounds like burning man has gone corporate.. too many people know about it.

its somewhere in remote nevada.

BeanoNYC

Some of friends went last year. They said it was ho-hum. It's a lot cheaper to tour down a Shakedown street to get the same kinda vibe. (Probably a better time at the lot too!)

Vortex

I'll hang out in a few parking lots this summer.... Checking out Shakedown Street. Bonaroo good for NEKGirl. Alot of work. Time vs reward for me. I am jealous though.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
A flurry of trips to Maine bagging peaks while backpacking in the Carrabassett area and camping Baxter State Park, some downtime to myself, a trip to the Adirondacks, a vacation on the Vineyard, Flags on the 48, a trip to Vermont to finish my NE 67 4000-footers, and then some foliage hiking before starting ski season again.

I'm already thinking about summer 2006 and maybe taking 15 days on the Long Trail.

Phew!

SilentCal

Got a week to myself in the Whites in early June. Heading to Quebec City for a couple days in early July for a wedding. A week at Lake Sunapee in late July. Two weeks in the Whites in September with Grace. It's Pemi Loop time!!! Flags on the 48 will the major highlight though. Other than that I just keep trying to knock off sections of the Metacomet-Mondanock Trail and do as many local hikes as I can.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
snowspritect said:
So what is everyone doing this summer?
Hopefully section-hike the 18 miles of the Tully Trail with my energetic siberian husky. Every section will be an out-and-back, so can I count it as doing the trail twice? :wink: Already did about 5 miles of it with the dog.

Would like to get up to the Alpine Garden with the family next weekend. Maybe do Wachusett a few times, and possibly Monadnock. Might try some bike riding if I can get my hands on a child carrier for the bike. (Anyone have one to loan/sell???) Maybe do some camping at one of the local campgrounds. Then I'll cap it off with another great hike on 9/11 with the Flags on the 48.

Less work, more play. 8)
Smitty

nancie2k

will go to vermont a few times to mow the grass and enjoy the mountains.
family live down the shore in little egg harbor, 2 live on lagoons with boats,and i love fishing!!
my dad is paying for his 4 daughters and families to go to florida for 2 weeks in july. that should be fun!!!