• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Guns of Hunter

kingslug

Catchy title.huh. I just have to say that these new guns are amazing..I used to hate it when they blew and I had to ski through the glop that came out...as I still do at some places. Nothing worse than almost coming to a stop when hitting a pile of soaking wet gun crud...Not at Hunter though..this stuff is like talcum powder, like sugar! it doesn't even stick to you're goggles as much..well it sticks but it comes right off..not that coating of ice you need a chisle for. I skied under them all day on Monday..even stayed late as it just kept getting better...And I've noticed that the surfaces are not getting iced up like they used to. I used to dread days old surfaces..the ones you could see your self in...not here lately, and yes even before the 18 inches when it was all man made. The westerners may bust on us for not getting 500 inches of blower pow...but at least we have technology.

drjeff

Catchy title.huh. I just have to say that these new guns are amazing..I used to hate it when they blew and I had to ski through the glop that came out...as I still do at some places. Nothing worse than almost coming to a stop when hitting a pile of soaking wet gun crud...Not at Hunter though..this stuff is like talcum powder, like sugar! it doesn't even stick to you're goggles as much..well it sticks but it comes right off..not that coating of ice you need a chisle for. I skied under them all day on Monday..even stayed late as it just kept getting better...And I've noticed that the surfaces are not getting iced up like they used to. I used to dread days old surfaces..the ones you could see your self in...not here lately, and yes even before the 18 inches when it was all man made. The westerners may bust on us for not getting 500 inches of blower pow...but at least we have technology.

Modern fanguns, especially when the temps are below say 23/24 degrees can make a phenomenal product to ski on in a rather quiet way too :fangun:

SkiDork

made me think of this:

gunsofnavarone.jpg

4aprice

Modern fanguns, especially when the temps are below say 23/24 degrees can make a phenomenal product to ski on in a rather quiet way too :fangun:

They also have here in the Pocono's what they call "Low e" guns which put out an amazing product. A lot of people I know and ski with have commented on the quality of the snow they have been skiing on despite no natural snow here. I'm lovin modern snowmaking:cool:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jaytrem

Don't think the have many modern fan guns there. Lots of old fan guns, a lesser amount of new ones and a load of various pole type ones. Was there on Sunday, bumps almost EVERYWHERE, good stuff!!!

mountainman

They also have here in the Pocono's what they call "Low e" guns which put out an amazing product. A lot of people I know and ski with have commented on the quality of the snow they have been skiing on despite no natural snow here. I'm lovin modern snowmaking:cool:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Not modern snow making. Snow guns have improved, but it is still at the snow making hydrant that produces what snow is made. Dry snow can be made which is can be skied while making snow and base snowmaking (wet) which is made to set to get trails open and not skiable. As a Snow maker and groomer for 30 plus years and with the technology we have today in the industry, skiing on a frozen hard packed surface should not be acceptable. Suppliers in Snowmaking and Grooming both have come a long way in producing better products.

millerm277

Having skied today, I agree. Anywhere snow was made was phenomenal. And at the base you could hear the slow thump of the compressors coming out of the shop.

I'm quite impressed with the quality + quantity from the new towers they put in this year, personally.

Of course, Hunter (as usual) makes up for their awesome snowmaking with absymal grooming. I do not understand how they can't manage to ever not make what basically amount to the ski version of a "washboard" road in various spots on the mountain, especially runouts. /off topic

kingslug

Having skied today, I agree. Anywhere snow was made was phenomenal. And at the base you could hear the slow thump of the compressors coming out of the shop.

I'm quite impressed with the quality + quantity from the new towers they put in this year, personally.

Of course, Hunter (as usual) makes up for their awesome snowmaking with absymal grooming. I do not understand how they can't manage to ever not make what basically amount to the ski version of a "washboard" road in various spots on the mountain, especially runouts. /off topic

true..Deer Valley it aint...I just consider it..variable terrain.

Grooming has been excellent this year. What is frustrating is that snowmakers posthole the trail and they take a non grooming snow cat over nice corduroy.

dmc

Blowing the crap out of Clairs today!!! COOL!!

spresso81

I saw a number of people go down on Claire's on Sunday including a three person pile up so the extra snow should help out.

I thought they did a great job blowing on Minya Sunday!