• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The most miles you've ever kept a car

deadheadskier

Staff member
Noise, belts are quieter than chains.

Plus they're probably cheaper and easier to route in different configurations around multiple pulleys. They're also lighter, so they wouldn't hinder acceleration as much, I guess.

guess I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of quiet and performance to not have to worry about a guaranteed $300+ repair down the line. Maybe it's just frame of mind and I should think of timing belts the same way I think of tires or breaks.

WJenness

WJ...i'm in the same boat, got my A4 with 30K on it (just came off lease) bought it out right...now it has 85K and not one issue, car has been rock solid..do need to get the normal stuff done (timing belt, normal mtce) thinking about selling, but its nice not having a payment and i do feel this engine is one of audi's best (b6)..think this car will last quite awhile...

Have you had the coil pack recall done on it yet?

I had mine replaced last Thursday. I hadn't had any issues with mine (or so I thought), but after getting them replaced, the car feels brand new. Throttle response has improved, the car idles much smoother, runs much quieter (all dramatically true at lower RPMs), and gas mileage has dramatically improved. Very happy I went and got that done.

-w

SKIQUATTRO

yea, had them done at my indy shop and Audi sent me a check to cover parts and labor....i have buyer for my car but i'm torn...no payment, running great, i'd love a new 4dr Wrangler, but its more of a 'want' vs need and ya cant find a used 4dr wrangler for under $22K....the 2002 audi engines are great, might just have the timing belts etc done and keep it....it really is a fun car.....