• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/17 Storm Discussion Thread

I just went on a 45 minute walk all throughout my hood. The temperature is 28 degrees with a light freezing rain which is coating everything..areas that were slush puddles an hour ago are now getting crunchy..based on the radar..it looks like a band of moderate freezing rain is headed this way as it's over Reading right now..tomorrow morning could be a mess in valley locations where temperatures struggle to rise above freezing.

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
I'm starting to wonder whether the drive to school tomorrow will be safe. My car's kinda light and idk how well it'll drive in the snow yet. From the look of the radar this snow isn't gonna go anywhere for a while, too...:D :D :snow:

Zand

Snow's been coming down for at least an hour; we're in a moderate band right now. Already a dusting and the roads are covered. Too bad the fookin changeover has to come in the morning, but it should be nice at Wachusett for reopening day.

Glenn

Maybe an inche of snow here in CT...then it turned to freezing rain. But another system rolls in Friday...then one again Sunday...then maybe another Christmas Eve. Sweet!

Greg

Staff member
Probably ended up with a half inch of snow with a quarter inch of crust. Yuck.

WJenness

Left my house at about quarter of 7 2-3" on the cars and the ground... no changeover yet <knock on wood>

26 degrees at home
28 degrees at the office, getting a little sleety here.

-w

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm starting to wonder whether the drive to school tomorrow will be safe. My car's kinda light and idk how well it'll drive in the snow yet. From the look of the radar this snow isn't gonna go anywhere for a while, too...:D :D :snow:

It's safe. You'll be behind the slowest drivers in the state. Even if you get hit, it will be at 5mph :flame:

frozencorn

Small consolation, maybe, but it looks great in the north country. SB reported 5" and it's still coming down at a good clip. It's good snow for this time of year, too, the kind that crunches under your feet. Not too wet, not too dry.

Small consolation nothing. I'll be there tomorrow. And Friday is looking sa-weet.

tcharron

God I hope they fix our power today, even in the snow. The 1, 2, 3 combo punch of snow, even if total is only a foot, would TOTALLY give PSNH an excuse for me not to have power untill January.

Zand

Couple inches here... nothing great but it'll do. Heading to Wachusett in a few.

nelsapbm

There was 4-5" on the ground/car when I left for work this morning. Havent been out since I got here, but if I had to guess, we've got somewhere around 6-7" and it's still snowing (So. Burl VT).

loafer89

We got about 1" of snow last night and currently it's 32.4F with freezing rain. We have about 1/4" of ice glaze on everything.

Dumping at the moment, which is funny because I checked out the radar and it looked like we'd hit a dry slot with a few localized blue patches. We must be in the middle of one of them. :snow:

Nice Moe Ghoul is up at Sugarbush right now..KingM why aren't you skiing today?

Grassi21

Yeah, good question. I've got too much stuff to get done here in preparation for Christmas Week. I'll get up again this week, though, even if have to sneak out the back door when Melinda turns her back.

just tell her you are checking on the surface conditions at the ski areas so that you can accurately inform your guests on what to expect. it sounds like a good business move. ;-)