• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/7 Clipper Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
I'm hearing rumblings. Any thoughts?

Justin10

A really quick look at the models shows that the cold air will be here this time, even down towards southern New England. Precip intensity is prety low now, but that doesnt really matter because that can and will change as its still 5-6 days out. Definitly something to keep an eye on...think SNOW!!!

Last edited:

SkiManSB

Snow on Sunday

Looks like a good possibility, at least from NOAA's point of view.

But better than that... COLD AIR is coming in! It looks like the temps are going to drop beginning Thursday night and continue on into next week.

At this point in the season, I don't care if it falls from the sky or from the gun, I just want snow!!!

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
We already have good early snow in the north country. All we need is one dump on top of that base and we'll be good to go.

As long as the temps stay the same, and we keep getting a few inches here and there, we'll get there in a week or two, but I'm greedy.

SkiManSB

We already have good early snow in the north country. All we need is one dump on top of that base and we'll be good to go.

As long as the temps stay the same, and we keep getting a few inches here and there, we'll get there in a week or two, but I'm greedy.

We'll be up there skiing Mt. Ellen on the 13th & 14th, so freshies up north would be great!

SKIQUATTRO

looks like a nice clipper coming down from canada and a low forming south of LI...i'm thinking more of a coastal event with NYC Metro-Btown-ME with 3-6"

Glenn

Local weather guy isn't getting to excited about it for CT. But I'm more concerned with VT. Looks like another system may be brewing Tuesday into Wednesday.

loafer89

Next tuesday's storm looks like it might be a Great Lakes Cutter. What a suprise that would be:cry:

Hopefully we do not establish this track as the dominant winter pattern

drjeff

Next tuesday's storm looks like it might be a Great Lakes Cutter. What a suprise that would be:cry:

Hopefully we do not establish this track as the dominant winter pattern

Kind of a catch 22 type weather pattern we've had predominately so far this year. When the cold is present, basically the Gulf of Mexico and the waters of the Atlantic off the East Coast have been cut off until all but the end of a storm system as a moisture source. Then, when we get a system that has the vast moisture supply of water of the waters of the Atlantic + Gulf, we haven't had the cold air throughout the system and we've been getting these "slurpee" storms that give us a bit of everything. Good thing though, is that for *most* of ski country, these moisture rich "slurpee" storms have been net positive storms that have laid down what could very well serve as an awesome base for when we finally get the big, all cold, moisture rich storm :) :snow:

loafer89

The longer range weather pattern forecasts that I have come across suggest a warm finish to December that will extend into early January.

Perhaps this winter will be like the 2006-2007 season where winter finally showed up in late January.

It would be nice to see some natural snowfall this weekend here in the wild's of Eastern Connecticut, hopefuly this clipper can deliver the goods.

Greg

Staff member
Perhaps this winter will be like the 2006-2007 season where winter finally showed up in late January.

It's already far better than how that season started...

With moguls in place and a deep base on Temptor at Sundown, I'm content ripping spring bumps at home for the next several weeks. They'll make snow when they can. I'll head north only when the big snows come. There's no point for me otherwise.

drjeff

The longer range weather pattern forecasts that I have come across suggest a warm finish to December that will extend into early January.

It would be nice to see some natural snowfall this weekend here in the wild's of Eastern Connecticut, hopefuly this clipper can deliver the goods.

We seem to be in about a 10 to 15 day cycle of cold stuff and then "warmer" stuff. The decent thing if this pattern trend continues is that the "warmer" stuff will get colder during the next few weeks!

So far though, this winter is way better than '06/'07 IMHO. Even though it took forever for things winter to get established that year, the early season was awfull! I vividly remember driving upto Mount Snow the 1st weekend of January that year and seeing the temps go UP from the 40's to the 50's as I got closer to the mountain and then being woken up many times that night from the sound of the downpour on the skylight :mad: The next morning was so ugly on the hill that I just sat in the baselodge for about an hour and then just left and went back home to CT rather than stay the rest of the weekend. That was one brutal 6 or so week weather window that year from basically Thanksgiving through the 1st week of January.

loafer89

November has some really good snowmaking weather, with spells of really warm weather mixed in that melted off some of what was made. It was nice to ski so much open terrain at Killington and Stratton last month, but my hopes for December are not high especially with warm weather and GLC storms forecasted for mid-month.

I guess my point with comparing this season to the 2006-2007 season is for the expectation for snowfall in Southern New England to be delayed until late January.

Currently much of Southern New England is WAY below normal in terms of snowfall for late fall/early meteorological winter.

Being that I like snow alot more than skiing, the inner self would like to see some snowfall that does not come out of a gun/snow cannon.

SKIQUATTRO

still up in the air for Sunday's precip...but this is looking nice (abeit 8 days out)

2knees

Currently much of Southern New England is WAY below normal in terms of snowfall for late fall/early meteorological winter.

i have no statistical data to back this up, but way below normal for southern new england in november is what, 4 inches? seriously, it doesnt snow much in sne period, never mind waaaay before christmas.