• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/7 Clipper Discussion Thread

loafer89

i have no statistical data to back this up, but way below normal for southern new england in november is what, 4 inches? seriously, it doesnt snow much in sne period, never mind waaaay before christmas.

We are about 4-8" below normal, actually BDL did not even report a trace of snow for November.

Last year at this point we already had close to 6" in my area.

SKIQUATTRO

this one i think is going to be too far west off shore to bring any substantial snows to the coast....maybe an inch or 2 but thats it...

Greg

Staff member
Hope we pull a few inches out of the clipper moving through though. Maybe the secondary will come more west. There's still time.

Euler

It's loking like we might get a little freshening up Saturday night /Sunday morning... NOAA/NWS Albany says this about the SoVT region as of 6AM Friday:

1-3 INCHES QUITE POSSIBLE FROM THE CAPITAL REGION AND AREAS TO THE N AND E...WITH PERHAPS AN INCH ACROSS THE MID HUDSON VALLEY AND NW CT. HOWEVER...SHOULD MORE MOISTURE BECOME ENTRAINED...EVEN HIGHER AMTS ARE POSSIBLE...ESP ACROSS WESTERN NEW ENGLAND. IT IS INTERESTING TO NOTE THAT SEVERAL MEMBERS OF THE THE 00Z/05 MREFS ARE INDICATING MORE ROBUST SNOWFALL AMOUNTS...MORE THAN IN RECENT RUNS...HINTING AT SOME POSSIBILITY FOR MODERATE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS SOMEWHERE NEAR OR E OF THE HUDSON RIVER VALLEY.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one!:snow::snow:

Glenn

Nice! They're saying we may get some snow in CT...so it must be tracking further West than expected.

I see something on the horizon for Tuesday...and possibly Thursday? Could be a busy weather week! :spread:

SKIQUATTRO

thinking 2-4 most of CT, Mass, SVT., NH 1-3 NVT......i think another tread needs to be started regarding the storm brewing for later next week....looks like lot 'o energy...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
thinking 2-4 most of CT, Mass, SVT., NH 1-3 NVT......i think another tread needs to be started regarding the storm brewing for later next week....looks like lot 'o energy...
Really? NWS isn't really big on this weekend:

day3_psnow_gt_04.gif

Euler

Really? NWS isn't really big on this weekend:

day3_psnow_gt_04.gif
You posted a map about probs for at least four inches of snowfall and used it to question people who are talking about at most four inches of snowfall. Also , the map reinforces the point that there is a small (<10% according to the map you posted) liklihood of more than 4 inches for parts of Vermont/New England. I'm still looking forward to some fresh snow for Sunday

SKIQUATTRO

there is so much uncerntanity right now about how/where this is going to develop that they are staying very conserative right now until more models become avail...

It looks like we could get one to two inches of snow..but maybe a few of the snowbands will stall and we'll get more..just seeing a little snow will be great..and a snowpack keeps the temperatures even cooler..

powderfreak

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true&location=default
I'm liking the lookd of this. I think they are underreporting for the Greens. I say 6 plus for central VT by Monday morning.

Some of that is virga and dry low levels have kept obs in the Ohio Valley in the "light" category. Here's where its reaching the ground but keep in mind most of these are only seeing light snow with visibilities in the 2-5 mile range. Also, most snowfall amounts today with this have been under 2" outside of lake enhancement.

081206210038.gif

This should start to fall apart somewhat as it crosses the Apps, and loses some energy to the developing coastal low. I'd say a widespread dusting to 2" is likely for most areas across NY, VT, CT, RI, MA, NH, and ME tomorrow...there could be some higher 2-4" amounts across portions of the New England coast from Boston northward as bagginess in the pressure fields allow moisture to advect further west up there as the coastal takes over.

With that said, 6+ is not out of the question for parts of VT and northern NH but it'll likely be due to upslope on Sunday evening/night rather than from the clipper.

-Scott

Snowing here..this is going to be light and dry powder..nice little crystals..sticking to everything instantly..Stoke on top of Stoke!!!!!!.....tomorrow is going to be a good day to ski..no diggity..