• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

jimmywilson69

. Crowd, speed, lack of courtesy....yes, I am getting old and showing it, but overall the clientele needs to get it together as far as safety and consideration, but so is life today.
I think this is as much a generational thing as it is an "ikon pass" thing. Yes typing that makes me feel old, but I see it even at my local hill in PA. So maybe it is a "cheap pass" thing since I'm owned by vail...

cdskier

Let's see how long the forum stays up this time lol.

Looks like the Slide Brook chair starts running for the season tomorrow which I know will make some people happy...

LuckyStrike

There are kids all over the mountain. Along with adult beginners. Along with adult lower intermediates. Weekends at Sugarbush feel like Wachusett nights.

cdskier

On to a different topic since there's not much to talk about skiing-wise right now...food in the valley. I made it to Scrag & Roe a week and a half ago for dinner with my dad. (Would have posted this sooner but the forum kept going down before I had a chance to actually sit down and type this out). I previously said I wouldn't go if they didn't take reservations. Well they switched to accepting reservations a few weeks after they opened (they said they realized no reservations was a mistake, but they still save seats/tables in the bar room for walk-ins to balance it out). Overall I'll give them 3 out of 5 stars. The food itself was good, but the options are too limited. There were only 2 large entree items designed to be split by 2 people. Neither of us were in the mood for either of the entrees. So we ordered about half the rest of the menu of small plate/snack items (3 of the 4 small plates and 2 of the 6 snacks). A bit heavy handed with both salt and garlic in the dishes. But from a taste and creativity standpoint the food itself was on point. Dessert options were also limited with only 2 choices. Pretty good wine and beer list.

In terms of ambiance, even though it is the same space as Peasant, it doesn't have anywhere near the same cozy feel. It was also very loud in the dining room. Supposedly this should already either be fixed or will be fixed soon (they just purchased all the drapes for the windows from the previous owner of Peasant so that should help with both the sound and ambiance a bit once those are up).

Overall there's a bunch of other places I want to go to before I'd go back to Scrag & Roe, but I do think it is worth at least checking out for people that haven't been there.

ducky

Some amazing runs this morning in blown powder. Over a foot in many places filled in on skier's left. Nothing over at GH where it got groomed in. Troughs on some mogul sections were knee-deep but peaks were grey ice. A sleeper day with nobody here.