• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Maybe I should thank Sugarbush. Fantastic day at Pico today. Everything was open and in great shape. Longest lift line I waited in all day was 3-4 chairs a couple times. Most rides on either Outpost or Summit were pretty much ski on... I never realized how many fun glades they have. Nicely spaced trees, plenty of options for lines, plenty of snow still in them thanks to the recent storm, etc.

Now I'm exhausted...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe I should thank Sugarbush. Fantastic day at Pico today. Everything was open and in great shape. Longest lift line I waited in all day was 3-4 chairs a couple times. Most rides on either Outpost or Summit were pretty much ski on... I never realized how many fun glades they have. Nicely spaced trees, plenty of options for lines, plenty of snow still in them thanks to the recent storm, etc.

Now I'm exhausted...
Pico’s narrow trails and glades are awesome.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Seriously love their terrain. I hadn't been there in over a dozen years and I hit it at the perfect time.
You know, if that mountain was anywhere else but right beside Killington, it would be doing well on its own. The first time I skied there was in 2000 and I was blown away by how much of a contrast it is from Killington. Not crowded, on single mountain with a couple subpeaks, great old school terrain, tons of history, and pretty chill. Check out some of the old trail maps and you will see that they used to have a couple other lifts that made it easy to ski smaller parts of the mountain (Birches Chair, the Summit Poma). Summit Glades is an old favorite of mine. I also love Upper Sunset '71 and Upper KA. I can't believe that the Outpost is still running--it was old when I last skied there in 2007! The old Yan HSQ's are also a blast from the past.

cdskier

You know, if that mountain was anywhere else but right beside Killington, it would be doing well on its own. The first time I skied there was in 2000 and I was blown away by how much of a contrast it is from Killington. Not crowded, on single mountain with a couple subpeaks, great old school terrain, tons of history, and pretty chill. Check out some of the old trail maps and you will see that they used to have a couple other lifts that made it easy to ski smaller parts of the mountain (Birches Chair, the Summit Poma). Summit Glades is an old favorite of mine. I also love Upper Sunset '71 and Upper KA. I can't believe that the Outpost is still running--it was old when I last skied there in 2007! The old Yan HSQ's are also a blast from the past.

Funny...I was saying to myself over and over while skiing today how night and day K and Pico are from one another. I never realized they had a Birches chair, but I knew they had the Summit Poma. I'll have to take a look at some old trail maps. Yea...those lifts there are old, but they seem to keep chugging along. 2002 or 2003 was the first time I skied Pico. I forgot how low to the ground that Yan summit chair is in some spots. Pretty weird almost touching the snow with your skis in some spots while you're on the chair.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Peered at the web cams today while out and about touring Boston, and saw an absolute zoo. Can't imagine how crowded the trails were. Just seemed like a ton of people everywhere... pond skimming, North Lynx, the plaza, Bravo, everywhere. And then... I saw I believe a Sugarbush sticker on the station sign at Providence Amtrak station. I chuckled a bit! Also thought for a minute that pond skimming had changed locations... then realized it was a mirror image on IG.

Also somewhere I saw a blurb that GML is going to be open on Monday. Guess they didn't quite run the kegs dry last weekend?? :)

abc

Great day at Pico. My legs loved it, but also hate it. They’re quite dead now.

Saw lots of people going outside the boundary. in fact a guy I shared a chair with tried to talk me into going out from top of Summit…

cdskier

Great day at Pico. My legs loved it, but also hate it. They’re quite dead now.

Saw lots of people going outside the boundary. in fact a guy I shared a chair with tried to talk me into going out from top of Summit…

It felt like mid-winter today. I'm still in awe at how much fun I had today at Pico.

Looking at the webcams at Sugarbush, this was 110% the right decision for me. I really need to take advantage of the Ikon partner resorts more...

Lotso

Skiing was terrific Sunday. Moonshine and Twist as nice as I have ever seen them. Very crowded on main snowmaking trails, but you could navigate if you kept your head on a swivel.

cdskier

Skiing was terrific Sunday. Moonshine and Twist as nice as I have ever seen them. Very crowded on main snowmaking trails, but you could navigate if you kept your head on a swivel.

After the soft powdery bumps on Saturday at Pico, I found yesterday at Sugarbush to be a bit of a let down. What time did you ski Moonshine and Twist? I thought they were still a bit on the firmer side when I skied them late morning. And crowds were definitely uncomfortable to say the least at times for the amount of terrain open.

Lotso

After the soft powdery bumps on Saturday at Pico, I found yesterday at Sugarbush to be a bit of a let down. What time did you ski Moonshine and Twist? I thought they were still a bit on the firmer side when I skied them late morning. And crowds were definitely uncomfortable to say the least at times for the amount of terrain open.
Between 11 and 1 or so. Not soft and powdery, for sure, but soft enough to get an edge in and have on them, and few bare spots. Will be different today with warmer temps.

Hawk

Mad River on Saturday. Powdery and awesome. No lines and super nice people. Killington yesterday was powdery in the woods on the north facing slopes like the light, julio and all of that stuff on the skiers right down from the peak. Noon time on it got soft. Really fun day. Everything was open so the crowd spread out. back at sugarbush today for the grift. I am so beat up from skiing full on bumps for 2 days that it will be fine with whatever they have.

cdskier

Between 11 and 1 or so. Not soft and powdery, for sure, but soft enough to get an edge in and have on them, and few bare spots. Will be different today with warmer temps.

Heh...when you said they were as nice as you had ever seen them I was wondering if maybe it was just much later in the afternoon and they had softened up a lot more after my legs surrendered. Yes they were definitely edgeable and coverage was good, but I don't know that I would have even put them in my top 10 days on them. I've had some good ones though over the years on those trails.

Boxtop Willie

Bravo maybe a 2 minute wait right now. Gate House is ski on. Longest line is to get eclipse glasses.
Snow was great this morning. Getting a little soft now. North Lynx lift was "pod of the day" 10-11am.
Steins skiing great.

Lotso

Heh...when you said they were as nice as you had ever seen them I was wondering if maybe it was just much later in the afternoon and they had softened up a lot more after my legs surrendered. Yes they were definitely edgeable and coverage was good, but I don't know that I would have even put them in my top 10 days on them. I've had some good ones though over the years on those trails.
Bad season lends itself to hyperbole once it got good...was fun, just had not been on either trail in a very very long time. Was a happy few runs either way.

Last edited:

WinS

Yesterday was a really fun. Parking lots filled up really early. First laps on North Lynx were awesome and then moved over to the Bravo side where everything was good spring skiing. Busy but never waited even ten minutes in line. I have never seen more people in the Courtyard waiting for Totality while The Grift played. GML on the Web Cam looked busy too. It was a fun party to go along with good skiing. Unfortunately, it looks like several rainy days in the forecast.

Lotso

Yesterday was a really fun. Parking lots filled up really early. First laps on North Lynx were awesome and then moved over to the Bravo side where everything was good spring skiing. Busy but never waited even ten minutes in line. I have never seen more people in the Courtyard waiting for Totality while The Grift played. GML on the Web Cam looked busy too. It was a fun party to go along with good skiing. Unfortunately, it looks like several rainy days in the forecast.
Agreed and followed the sun all day. Watched eclipse from halfway down the narrow upper part of Sunrise. The roar from the crowd was cool, and no lines at all from 1 until eclipse. Snow on Sunrise and Slowpoke after eclipse had already set up some so it was a fun run down.