• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thongs on men... yea or nea?

Do you floss

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Only when I'm at the beach...

borat_cannes_2.jpg

That is just..... that is just..... that is just about somethin' :puke:

Bumpsis

What exacty are we talking about, man's underwear or swimming attire?

What people choose to wear underneath their outer layer is just not that interesting to me, especially men's undies.

As to swimwear, I'm definitely in the minority here - for any water sport where mobity is imporatant , functionality wins, meaning I wear speedos.

I find those ridiculous half pants that pass for beach shorts, just that , ridiculous. I can't stand the half yard of wet fabric flooping down and around my knees. I understand where that fashon trend came from, surfing trunks. So this kind of suggest the macho aspect of surfing culture. There, the longer cover actually protects your skin from the rough wax of the board. But most guys that wear these don't know a fish from a longboard.

For sake of reference, I grew up in Europe, so I don't have the homophobic baggage that a lot of american males have to deal with.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
will you marry me?

LOL!!!!!
:lol:

As to swimwear, I'm definitely in the minority here - for any water sport where mobity is imporatant , functionality wins, meaning I wear speedos.
I get the European difference of opinion on swimwear, really, I do. But would you wear what was depicted above? That's a little different than your typical speedo.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
What exacty are we talking about, man's underwear or swimming attire?

What people choose to wear underneath their outer layer is just not that interesting to me, especially men's undies.

I find those ridiculous half pants that pass for beach shorts, just that , ridiculous. I can't stand the half yard of wet fabric flooping down and around my knees. I understand where that fashon trend came from, surfing trunks. So this kind of suggest the macho aspect of surfing culture. There, the longer cover actually protects your skin from the rough wax of the board. But most guys that wear these don't know a fish from a longboard.

For sake of reference, I grew up in Europe, so I don't have the homophobic baggage that a lot of american males have to deal with.

Go fark yourself. I'd take from your post that you'd need no swimwear at all when you can just walk on top of the water.

Perhaps you'd like to trim down the width of your paint brush a little?

/lol, grapesmuggler
//sorry, still trying to deal with my American raised homophobic baggage

Bumpsis

:lol:

I get the European difference of opinion on swimwear, really, I do. But would you wear what was depicted above? That's a little different than your typical speedo.

No, Boratwear is not my cup of tea :)

Actually, when at the beach, just to blend in with the locals and to avoid weird looks, when out of the water, I do put on shorts that are an acceptable medium between the prevailing half pants and a speedo.
It feels a bit repressive, but what you goona do?
At least I know how a western woman would feel walking around Kabul without a burka :)

Bumpsis

Go fark yourself. I'd take from your post that you'd need no swimwear at all when you can just walk on top of the water.

Perhaps you'd like to trim down the width of your paint brush a little?

/lol, grapesmuggler
//sorry, still trying to deal with my American raised homophobic baggage

You are so right! I do walk on water, well with some help of a surfboard :)

And if the paint brush fits, I use it. Granted, it IS a broad generalization but with a great deal of truth behind it. The Seedo type of swim suit has been essentially labeled as "gay" so no "normal" guy would be caught dead in it unless he's serious swimmer. So the paint brush used here is quite is even broader and I'm not the one who swings it.

This non-masculine label of the speedo has permiated so deep that even women seem to have preference to see guys in the knee length beach shorts, beacause that's the "masculine" imaged pushed by fashion. I find that rather weird.

I know that my wife and her female friends like looking at muscular, well shaped (male) legs. Many of us on this board have them since we're into cycling and skiing. So why not show it off and be comfortable at the same time?
It is really funny that what passes for a fashonable men's beach short actually was called the Bermuda short in the 70's and only old men with veiny stick legs with loose skin would wear it back then, so they could cover up what really should have been covered up.

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Yup, muscular legs are a definite turn-on. I don't really have a problem with Speedos.. but it's sort of like how nobody would want to see me in a bikini. Shows a bit much off that's hard to pull-off unless you're well-toned. Olympian athlete? Oh yeah! 75-year-old beer-bellied man? No way. Sometimes, at least in public, things should be covered up. Then again, maybe it's just my Puritanical environment that's speaking...

The difference between underwear choice versus beachwear is that the underwear choice is not apparent to the masses and is likely only to be seen by someone who wants to see it. Beachwear, on the other hand, is out there for everyone and anyone to view. KWIM? I sure as heck wouldn't walk around in public with just my underwear choice exclusively; I imagine that would require a mass cleanup of the streets. :puke: But I'm confident enough in my own choices to admit that yes, that's what I wear, I like it, and F you if you don't like it. I keep it under wraps from the general public. Not quite the same as what I would wear to the beach (which, if I had my way, the full-bodied outfits from the turn of the last century would be my choice :oops:).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Go ahead and rock the banana hammock all you want. It's not a homophobic thing that I have it against them. I just think they look absolutely ridiculous, kind of like the new skinny jeans that people seem to be wearing these days.

mondeo

Go ahead and rock the banana hammock all you want. It's not a homophobic thing that I have it against them. I just think they look absolutely ridiculous, kind of like the new skinny jeans that people seem to be wearing these days.
+1. Our society has deemed speedos not to be cool. But what is cool is completely arbitrary. It's not that it's homophobic. We wear clothes in the summer purely because society says we should. In the U.S., society says men shouldn't wear speedos. Double standards and all that, but it is what it is.

But there is something to be said about limiting the amount of potential wdgie material for underwear. Silk thongs are the best.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
+1. Our society has deemed speedos not to be cool. But what is cool is completely arbitrary. It's not that it's homophobic. We wear clothes in the summer purely because society says we should. In the U.S., society says men shouldn't wear speedos. Double standards and all that, but it is what it is.

But there is something to be said about limiting the amount of potential wdgie material for underwear. Silk thongs are the best.

Will you listen to yourself you insensitive homophobe? Unbelievable.

I know some good sensitivity training classes, I'm going to get you signed up asap before you decide to go out beating up gays. How could we, in good conscious, call ourselves your peers without recognizing these dangerous warning signs? If you don't haven't replaced all your swin trunks with Speedos within a month, I think it will be time we seriously consider individual counseling.