• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine

dmc

I hear ya! Only time I did this was in the Great Gulf and the only way out was to climb in the shade and the run was in the sun.

Exactly. I also use them on the top of Left Gully in the shade. And just about anywhere early in the day when I'm hammering up to get early corn in the snowfields.. :)

C-Rex

Well, that was a nice read. :eek:

Nice pics guys. I'm so pumped for this trip. From what I've read, crampons aren't really necessary but might be a good idea in the future. I don't have a set yet so unless I need them, I'll save the money for now. As far as kick stepping goes, I have a pair of Burton Driver-X's that are pretty stiff so they do ok. Plus they have fold out spikes for a little extra traction on icy stuff. I've used them and they work pretty well.

STREETSKIER

Kush

We'll grab a hotel nearby.

Here's what I have so far:

My riding gear (board, boots, goggles, helmet, gloves)
Layers for anything between "sunny and 50's" and "blizzard"
Water, food
TP
GoPro HD
Trash bag

I'll also probably throw a little survival/first aid kit together. What else? Do I need crampons? Poles or at least one collapsible? Any suggestions on where to stay?[/QUOTE]

STREETSKIER

crampons

Also (and maybe more importantly) crampons are dangerous to those around you. Starting around now, there are more and more people up in the bowl. Very often you are booting up the bowl with a line of people above and below you. One falling person can take out the whole line. Seen it happen several times. That's bad enough in and of itself....but add crampons into the tumbling pile and someone is going to get seriously hurt. Leave em at home.

people are dangerous , i feel safe with my crampons,someone always gets seriosly hurt !!! i dont hike on lunar ,turns would suck anyway i try to stay away from goons i dont like weekends been going up there since 1969 use your brain be safe

STREETSKIER

i hardly go in the bowl any more , except to hit chute variation when its ripe. Not tooting my horn but I have been all over the west and mt wash is one of the most dangerous places due to the. Fact That weather can change things get shadowed and firm up quick no one tells you where or what to do. It's up to you!! I've been scared up there many times keep a cool head don't go above your ability. Good luck enjoy it's a jem respect the mt. Wolf.

Last edited:

dmc

people are dangerous , i feel safe with my crampons,someone always gets seriosly hurt !!! i dont hike on lunar ,turns would suck anyway i try to stay away from goons i dont like weekends been going up there since 1969 use your brain be safe

Yes but sometimes climbing lunar sets you up for early corn up high..

Dont discount the fun of hanging in the bowl..

I personally LOVE the scene in the bowl.. But I like parties and people. Checking out girls and stuff.. :) You get to meet all kinds of like minded folks.. It's a ton of fun. I've only been going up since the early 80's..

I always stay in the shelters..
My Tucks weekends usually start on Wednesday - ski Thurs in the bowl... Friday somewhere else... Saturday above the bowl then back down to hang out.. Sunday.. Go home..

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
I have been all over the west and mt wash is one of the most dangerous places due to the. Fact That weather can change things get shadowed and firm up quick no one tells you where or what to do. It's up to you!!

I see what youre sayin, but the same thing can and does happen out west, I think the difference is that Mount Washington attracts more people with less experience. (than Denali for example, which has fewer deaths than Mt Washington)

dmc

I see what youre sayin, but the same thing can and does happen out west, I think the difference is that Mount Washington attracts more people with less experience. (than Denali for example, which has fewer deaths than Mt Washington)

Good point.. It's a gaper numbers game.. :)

My advice is always to stay out of big climbing lines. Which is something you see out west but not to the degree as Tucks. For instance climbing lines into the chutes at ABasin - never that crowder.. Expertise leve pretty high.. Easy climb in soft snow...

Actually - The other thing is climbing lines at Tucks tend to be badly planned.. Around crevasses into the shade... etc..

powbmps

Someone posted a link to this on TGR. 40 seconds in. Wait for it.......

Puck it

The slider is hard to see down slope due to a cloud of snow behind them.
If you maximize the video window (full screen) you can make out the person sliding into the line of hikers several hundred feet down where they start jumping out of the way.

I see her now. Wow. She was hauling ass.

dmc

Someone posted a link to this on TGR. 40 seconds in. Wait for it.......

i heard she didn't get hurt...
So that means i can laugh my ass off...

friggin hilarious.. OK - now everyone start your rant against me making light of a bad situation... chuckle chuckle... :)

powbmps

I was crying watching that three seconds over and over.

People flying all over the place. Snow and ice rolling down. Typical of the weekend shit show up there.

i heard she didn't get hurt...
So that means i can laugh my ass off...

friggin hilarious.. OK - now everyone start your rant against me making light of a bad situation... chuckle chuckle... :)