• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville Vally sold?

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's a real loss for Ragged. Bob was a good guy and seemed to have moved the place along quite a bit in his time there. I know he would've loved to put a HSQ up Spear and get going on the Pinnacle expansion. You'd need to sell real estate to fund that type of expansion. You need that type of expansion to make the mountain an attractive real estate buy.

Granted, Ragged is pretty small, but of all the areas I've called home as a season pass holder or an employee, Bob was by far the most visible GM I've seen. Not an office guy by any means.

SIKSKIER

From WMUR

Sununu Family Purchases Waterville Valley
Resort Is Locally Owned Once Again

Waterville Valley Press Release: Today it was announced that the Sununu family is leading a group of local investors and has completed the purchase of Waterville Valley Ski Area from Booth Creek Resorts, a California based resort group. For the first time in almost 15 years the assets including the Waterville Valley Ski Area, Waterville Valley Nordic Center, Waterville Valley Conference Center and Town Square are now back under local control.

Waterville Valley, one of New Hampshire's most popular family ski areas since 1966, is well known for its ski racing heritage, WVBBTS ski club (Gold Freestyle Ski Medalist Hannah Kearney is an alumnus) and the self-contained village designed as a four season resort by Olympian Skier Tom Corcoran. The ski area has one of the state's highest elevations at 4,000 feet with 52 trails on 255 acres, 12 lifts and 100% snowmaking.

Chris Sununu is heading up the efforts and will serve as Waterville Valley Ski Resort's new Chief Executive Officer. Bob Fries, formally VP and General Manager of Waterville Valley during the Tom Corcoran ownership years will return as the new president. Since leaving Waterville Valley in 1992, Fries has managed resorts from Breckenridge, Colorado to Stratton, Vermont including a stint at The Olympic Authority in Lake Placid.

"Our vision for Waterville Valley puts the family vacation experience as a top priority," said Sununu. "My family has been coming to Waterville Valley for 30 years and several of us have homes there. We want to preserve what is so special about Waterville Valley and at the same time begin to invest in the mountain to ensure the best possible skiing experience."

"Our team is coming in with some tremendous long term plans to make Waterville Valley the premier resort destination in New England", said Fries, "Although time is short before the ski season, we still hope to make noticeable improvements for this winter. We are all very excited."

Tom Gross, local resident and current owner/operator of the White Mountain Athletic Club will also be joining the executive team to manage the groups interests in the valley itself. "We'll do whatever it takes to bring that magic back and give the vacationer and day skier what they expect and deserve", said Gross. "Waterville Valley will be a great experience with great value."

The Sununu family has strong personal and professional ties to Waterville Valley. The Annual Christa McAuliffe Ski Invitational was originated and supported by Governor and Mrs. John H. Sununu from 1988 to 1994 with proceeds benefiting the Christa McAuliffe Sabbatical Trust Fund, a program dedicated to excellence in education. Both the former Governor and his son, former Senator John E. Sununu have homes in Waterville Valley, enjoying the many year-round recreational activities the resort has to offer with their families.

"The Sununu family is perfect for taking over the ownership of Waterville Valley," commented Booth Creek Resort's President Chris Ryman." We will miss Waterville as part of Booth Creek Resorts, but know this is a positive ownership change with the long term ties the Sununu's have had in the community."

WWF-VT

From an Associated Press article:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...l2Ju-frN__P-10vXnPeAD9IPP6980?docId=D9IPP6980

Known for the 11 World Cup competitions it hosted from the 1960s to the early 1990s, it has seen a drop from 300,000 skier visits in 1992 to just under 170,000 this past winter

The terms of the deal were not disclosed, though Chris Sununu has indicated the sale price was less than $12 million.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Waterville Valley's New Owners Spending a Half Million on Improvements for First Ski

Waterville Valley, NH - Twenty five more energy efficient snowmaking tower guns and a new grooming cat top the list of immediate investments announced by the new owners at New Hampshire's Waterville Valley for the coming ski and snowboard season.

"We completed the purchase of Waterville Valley on October 13 and are now going as fast as we can to make improvements before the start of the ski season," said Bob Fries, the new General Manager of Waterville Valley Ski Resort Ltd. "The increased snowmaking capacity will help Waterville Valley leverage its 4,000-foot elevation, allowing us to open a greater variety of terrain for Thanksgiving and early December."

The season opening date for Waterville Valley is presently set for Saturday, Nov. 20. By that time, upgrades to the resort's main base lodge are planned to include new ground floor bathrooms, additional family bathrooms and refreshed Alpine Grille food service area and menu.

Waterville Valley will be adding to their ski and snowboard rental inventory featuring the new mini Burton snowboards for kids. "Each season, parents seem to want their kids to start skiing and snowboarding at younger ages," explains Peter Weber, Waterville's Snowsports Director. "In response, we're always looking for innovations in kids equipment that will let them start young but still have a blast. This season, we'll be introducing the new super mini snowboard from Burton into our Explorers Kamps for ages 4-6. The new design makes it easier for kids to roll from edge to edge and actually build skills on their very first days on snow. Waterville Valley already has mini skis so now parents and kids will have a choice."

New this season, Waterville Valley is also offering the most affordable learn to ski or snowboard package in the White Mountains, priced at just $35 for ages 7 and up when purchased online 24 hours in advance. Good non-holiday Sundays through Fridays, the $35 Learn to Ski Package includes a lower mountain lift ticket, ski or snowboard rentals and a two hour first time lesson.

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/Ne...Million-on-Improvements-for-First-Ski-Season/

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That is a nice learn to ski package. When S got brave and decided to give skiing another shot two years ago, I was shocked and appalled at how much a never ever had to pay just to try skiing once with a rental and group lesson. I think we found a "deal" at $45. S went back inside after her group lesson and never skied again.

Now that I said something nice, Mr. Bob Fries needs to look at a topo map. Mount Tecumseh does indeed top out at just over 4k'. But the ski area tops out quite a bit below the actual summit. And the skiing is below all well below that less than 4k' top of the double. The statement is kind asinine, "leveraging" vertical they don't even have. And even if the double did top out at 4k', the snow making still happens mostly between 2k-3k.

UVSHTSTRM

That is a nice learn to ski package. When S got brave and decided to give skiing another shot two years ago, I was shocked and appalled at how much a never ever had to pay just to try skiing once with a rental and group lesson. I think we found a "deal" at $45. S went back inside after her group lesson and never skied again.

Now that I said something nice, Mr. Bob Fries needs to look at a topo map. Mount Tecumseh does indeed top out at just over 4k'. But the ski area tops out quite a bit below the actual summit. And the skiing is below all well below that less than 4k' top of the double. The statement is kind asinine, "leveraging" vertical they don't even have. And even if the double did top out at 4k', the snow making still happens mostly between 2k-3k.

Wow 170,000 visits, that is sad. When I was in college I think Loon and WV were on par with each other. That was about 10 years ago. I worked there for one winter and it was always busy on the weekends and some weekdays. While there always wondered about it's setup. The main things that made me go hmmmm were.....

1. Is it possible to have a lift actually make it near the village?
2. What is up with the parking.
3 Why don't they have a lift shack on the top of the mountain that doesn't blow over in the wind. I was at the lift for that (liftie)
4. Why can't people ride a detachable quad/why can't people count (sorry had to throw that in there)
5. Why put a stupid whatever it is on the quadzilla (I think that is what it is called), seemed very corny.

One of the things I did like was that within the town of WV you can drink in public (at least you use to be able to. That made going to hockey games interesting.

sull1102

Not gonna lie, I actually like the little hat and design on Quadzilla. It's frigging awesome for little kids, and who else has a quad with its own perosnality like that? HMMMMMMM....

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Wow 170,000 visits, that is sad.

Even at the lower number, they still ski 50% more people than Cannon. Quite a drop off, though.

1. Is it possible to have a lift actually make it near the village?

If I'm not mistaken, the original Waterville concept called for that. It's tough to run lifts over roads, but Stowe managed to recently.

deadheadskier

Staff member

come on now

Can you really fault a newly appointed GM for extolling the positive attributes of his new place of work?

Every ski resort does it. There are two 'ski areas' that don't.....MRG and Magic, the latter of which has been in and out of business the past two decades. The job of a GM is to hype their place to the max. Doubt there's a Stowe publication that doesn't state it's on Vermont's highest peak. Should they include a *

*there are 5 other resorts in VT that offer higher lift serviced skiing.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
come on now

Can you really fault a newly appointed GM for extolling the positive attributes of his new place of work?

Every ski resort does it. There are two 'ski areas' that don't.....MRG and Magic, the latter of which has been in and out of business the past two decades. The job of a GM is to hype their place to the max. Doubt there's a Stowe publication that doesn't state it's on Vermont's highest peak. Should they include a *

*there are 5 other resorts in VT that offer higher lift serviced skiing.
Ummm, I can't think of many resorts that boast higher verticals than they really have. Jay boasts "elevation 4k" and I will continue to laugh at them for that as the Sky Haus and Jay Peak summit are not 4k either. Though at least Jay's official stats do not claim 4k. That is not extolling the positive attributes, that is making a false claim. It deserves to be called out. I can understand a little marketing over exuberance and I will let that slide somewhat. I won't let false claims slide.

Stowe is on Vermont's highest peak. That is a fact. The lifts may not go to the summit and that is a bit of marketing using a fact to suggest something that is not entirely accurate. But at least it is still a fact.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stowe is on Vermont's highest peak. That is a fact. The lifts may not go to the summit and that is a bit of marketing using a fact to suggest something that is not entirely accurate. But at least it is still a fact.

Is it not a fact that Waterville is located on Mt. Tecumseh and that that Mt. is 4000 feet?

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Ummm, I can't think of many resorts that boast higher verticals than they really have. Jay boasts "elevation 4k" and I will continue to laugh at them for that as the Sky Haus and Jay Peak summit are not 4k either. Though at least Jay's official stats do not claim 4k. That is not extolling the positive attributes, that is making a false claim. It deserves to be called out. I can understand a little marketing over exuberance and I will let that slide somewhat. I won't let false claims slide.

Amongst 4K ski areas:

Wildcat advertises their vertical and summit elevation to be on the summit of Wildcat "D" peak, which is above the lift.

Saddleback advertises their vertical and summit elevation to be on the summit of Saddleback, which is above the lift.

Sugarloaf advertises their vertical and summit elevation to be on the summit of Sugarloaf, which is above the lift.

Sugarbush advertises their vertical and summit elevation to be on the summit of Mt. Ellen, which is above the lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Had he been in office, he could have forced a more responsible solution at Mittersill. Instead, the existing council was a rubber stamp on the $2.6M.

and also probably give a tax break to his family running Waterville

but he hasn't been elected yet

so, relax. It's a beautiful day. Why don't you head down to Hampton Beach, have a nice warm cup of tea and watch the work being down on the beuatiful 14 million dollar facility the State is building us.

:)

Puck it

Had he been in office, he could have forced a more responsible solution at Mittersill. Instead, the existing council was a rubber stamp on the $2.6M.

OMG, are you going to start this crap in another thread. We all know where you stand on Mittersill. Give it a f-ing rest. And youclaim to be the expert on all thing's NH and you did not know Chris Sununu was running for office. Wow, now your credibility has taken a dive in my books.

Last edited:

Smellytele

and also probably give a tax break to his family running Waterville

but he hasn't been elected yet

so, relax. It's a beautiful day. Why don't you head down to Hampton Beach, have a nice warm cup of tea and watch the work being down on the beuatiful 14 million dollar facility the State is building us.

:)

Nobody from NH goes to Hampton Beach. The state is building it for the people from Mass and the Canucks. :)