• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's the hot ski this year?

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
After reviewing the SKI magazine reviews, I'm curious about what everyone here thinks THE hot ski of the year will be (there always seems to be one or two). What's getting the most buzz? Personally, I'm most interested in women's skis, so don't leave those out!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Although, they're not new, with regards to women's skis, I like the Luv line from K2. If I see a good deal on a pair, I plan to get them for my wife.

bvibert

Staff member
It seems like I remember seeing a thread about this already, but I can't find it so maybe not. Regardless, this is better suited for the gear forum so I'm going to move it there.

saus

I understand that the AC3 is a lot like my Head Monster 77 - and not too shabby. However, the 05/06 Allstars are my on-piste skis, and the AC4 will be for other stuff. I believe that, because of its range of use, the AC4 will be a hotter ski than the AC3.

At the end of the coming season (some time in May '07) ask me again about the AC4 - and I'll either confirm that they're hot or opine that they're not.

What's better than Atomics? Volkls and Elans.

Hawkshot99

Although, they're not new, with regards to women's skis, I like the Luv line from K2. If I see a good deal on a pair, I plan to get them for my wife.

They are even fun for a big guy to ski on(me :-o ) They were very fun at demos last spring.

NYDrew

Rossignol Mutix will lead the rage, and I am sure that the Z9's and Metron B5 Buzz will continue through.

NYDrew

What instructors and sales reps use is what the public uses...regardless of cost. Manufacturers compensate for that by making lower models like the Z1, Z5, and the various types of metrons.

The zeniths and metrons dominated the pro market last season. We even saw the mutix take its initial footholds. It is inevitable that all those people who saw this and purchased new skiis will be littering the slopes in rossi and atomic. Speaking of which, I got to see if the mutix are ready for order yet!!!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
What's better than Atomics? Volkls and Elans.
with the top brands, there is no such thing as a better brand. there are only skis better suited for certain skiers. the top brands all generally make high quality skis, it all comes down to personal preference. personal preference may dictact certain skiers like certain brands better than others. but none of the top brands are that much superior to each other over all.

Dirk109

Elan's? You can't be real....As for Volkl, Not a bad ski. But do yourself a favor and ski an Atomic. Then come back and chat.......................

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
with the top brands, there is no such thing as a better brand. there are only skis better suited for certain skiers. the top brands all generally make high quality skis, it all comes down to personal preference. personal preference may dictact certain skiers like certain brands better than others. but none of the top brands are that much superior to each other over all.

Couldn't agree more.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Elan's? You can't be real....As for Volkl, Not a bad ski. But do yourself a favor and ski an Atomic. Then come back and chat.......................
see my previous statement re: your belief that your brand loyalty translates into the best ski for other people. i have never skied an atomic that i enjoyed and the elan m666 is one example of a fantastic elan that i have tried. a few years ago, i rated the m666 very highly against its competition, including the so well beloved metron ski in that class. but you can't judge a single ski as being the best for everyone, let alone an entire brand of skis.

Dirk109

Working at one of the top shops in New England, I can tell you that some skis are better than others. Sure some people like to drive Toyota's, But they are not better than BWM's.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I've always hated the statement that something is the best. Riverc0il, have to say it one more time, I agree with you. What ever suits a person best is best for that person. Maybe Atomics have the best construction, are most durable, but that does me no good, if I feel more comforatable and ski better on let's say, K2. This coming from an Atomic skier.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Working at one of the top shops in New England, I can tell you that some skis are better than others. Sure some people like to drive Toyota's, But they are not better than BWM's.
i agree with you, some skis are better than others. i never said some skis were not better than others. i did say you can't say there is one over all best brand.

i don't think your comparison of car brands compared to ski brands is applicable. most of the top ski manufacturers make equivelent models whereas in the car industry, you have luxery brands owned by the same companies that put out standard brands. also, there is a huge difference between what target consumers car manufacturers go after. however, all the top ski manufacturers are going after the same skiers because all the manufacturers are making reletive models on the same level. i.e., there is no "luxery" and "muscle car" models in the ski world.

saus

Clearly, it will be me, as it has been year after year previously.

Oh wait. You said HOT ski, not skier. My mistake.

Sincerety is always subject to proof. Or to put it in other words, do I give a $h!t if you're a hot skier?