• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's the hot ski this year?

Birdman829

Did they look like this?
atomic-sx-b5-1.jpg

or like this?
ATOMICMETRONB506.jpg

Birdman829

Well that's strange considering they are basically slalom skis and not high speed carvers like the SX:B5s. Meh

Last edited:

highpeaksdrifter

What instructors and sales reps use is what the public uses...regardless of cost. Manufacturers compensate for that by making lower models like the Z1, Z5, and the various types of metrons.

The zeniths and metrons dominated the pro market last season. We even saw the mutix take its initial footholds. It is inevitable that all those people who saw this and purchased new skiis will be littering the slopes in rossi and atomic. Speaking of which, I got to see if the mutix are ready for order yet!!!!

Most mountains have at least one rep from every major ski company, they all get a taste from the pros. Also helps to have an aggressive rep who believes in their product line.

highpeaksdrifter

For instance comparing the Z9 to the Metron B5 is a completely personal rating.

Comparing completely different skis. Both are top end all mountain curvers but the Z9 is very damp, IMO dead ski. The Metron B5 has more rebound then anything I've been on, a great short turn fall line too. Big difference between the way French and Germanic skis are made.

Birdman829

Wow. Was that 7 straight posts? Gotta be some sort of record. The German engineering remark was made in regards to cars, not skis though. And I already addressed the discrepancy in the B5 impressions

Well that's strange considering they are basically slalom skis and not high speed carvers like the SX:B5s. Meh

awf170

Burning Luv was marketing genius by K2. Women love the name, remember it and ask for them.

Most mountains have at least one rep from every major ski company, they all get a taste from the pros. Also helps to have an aggressive rep who believes in their product line.

Elan has a great line of skis that is for real.

Comparing completely different skis. Both are top end all mountain curvers but the Z9 is very damp, IMO dead ski. The Metron B5 has more rebound then anything I've been on, a great short turn fall line too. Big difference between the way French and Germanic skis are made.

True dat, it's better. Ski technology marches on and gets better every year.

You gotta be kiddin me brah. Metron B5 is not a fast ski and has easy turn initiationat slow to moderate speed. It turns so easy it almost seems like your cheating. Not everyone likes that kind of rebound pop though.

Nordica's Speedmachine Mach 3 Power XBI will be the ski of the year in the all mountain curver catagory. If you see them at a demo day jump on them. You'll thank me later.

scheda_speedmachine_mach3_power_xbi.jpg

You do know that there is a multi-quote button now, right?! Or do you just enjoy being a post whore? :razz:

Hawkshot99

You gotta be kiddin me brah. Metron B5 is not a fast ski and has easy turn initiationat slow to moderate speed. It turns so easy it almost seems like your cheating. Not everyone likes that kind of rebound pop though.

Like I said before: I found that the weight and stiffness would throw me around at low speed snappy turns, but fine at speed. That is how I felt about it. I am just giving my opinion on a particular ski.

highpeaksdrifter

You do know that there is a multi-quote button now, right?! Or do you just enjoy being a post whore? :razz:

I read about the multi-quote button a couple months ago, I tried to use it, but I couldn't figure it out.

I intentionally stayed out of this thread because I thought once I got in I'd be in for hours. I decided to go through it from the start and respond to the ones I had an opinion on, but limit myself to about 2 sentences each. There where some others I wanted to respond to, but I didn't want to get carried away.;-)

Greg

Staff member
I read about the multi-quote button a couple months ago, I tried to use it, but I couldn't figure it out.
Click this button -
multiquote_off.gif
- on each post you want to quote in your reply. It will then change to this -
multiquote_on.gif
. Then click
reply.gif
. Easy!

highpeaksdrifter

Click this button -
multiquote_off.gif
- on each post you want to quote in your reply. It will then change to this -
multiquote_on.gif
. Then click
reply.gif
. Easy!

Thanks, that's a cool feature.

Like I said before: I found that the weight and stiffness would throw me around at low speed snappy turns, but fine at speed. That is how I felt about it. I am just giving my opinion on a particular ski.

Didn't mean to jump on you, like you say your opinion is your opinion. When you where being thrown around most likely you where feeling the rebound energy.

As an owner of both the M666 & the Ripstick I concur. But if you're a Salomon fan I can see why you might not like Elans (and Atomic and Volkl...)

I skied the magafire 12 i think it was, that took the place of the m666 right? Nice ski. If you like Elans lineup I think you'd like Nordica's as well.

Geoff

As an owner of both the M666 & the Ripstick I concur. But if you're a Salomon fan I can see why you might not like Elans (and Atomic and Volkl...)

That's been my experience. I prefer a ski where the edge doesn't lock. I haven't tried Elan in many years but Atomic and Volkl both bother my knees. If you roll out of the turn slightly, a Salomon will skid. I'm a big guy and a lighter skier probably won't feel the same edge lock I do.