• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's the hot ski this year?

AHM

Dirk: Hmmm, some skis are better than others ????

Working at one of the top shops in New England, I can tell you that some skis are better than others. Sure some people like to drive Toyota's, But they are not better than BWM's.

Dirk: Kinda like some skiers are better than others, and everyone skis for a different reason. How are some skis better than others: construction, hard snow performance, longevity, soft snow performance, light and snappy for bumps, a good touring board ?? As you can see, there are many types of "skiing". Consequently, there are most likely many "better skis than others" for a specific type of skiing. For instance, you might like a racer oriented Atomic. That can be a great ski for eastern hard pack, but at Silverton, Whitewater, or La Grave, probably not the board of choice. Can ya make it work ?? Sure. But is it "the best ski" most likely not. Also, some guys are muscle skiers. They pound the board. While others are more finese(sp) skiers, so they are light and nimble. The hammer head, they like the wood core ski, and for the burliest there is the stockli..........hmmm a burly man might ski the Scott Schmidt.................as an eastern board. Now, I could argue that it is the ultimate ski, seems to know no red line, sticks icy nasty bump lines like a.................., etc. But ya know, that stormy isn't the board for everyone. Some like the pocket rocket, smooth, nice soft tip and tail, groooooovy maaannnn. So, before ya go proclaiming that one ski is "better than another" you might consider what type of skier the person is, as that usually goes along way in determining what is the best ski...............

NYDrew

Working at one of the top shops in New England, I can tell you that some skis are better than others. Sure some people like to drive Toyota's, But they are not better than BWM's.

I wouldn't go around saying something like that. You have company in here far more qualified for statements like that. People who work wearing skiis, not just next to them in a store. As for who I think you directed that at...he is probably one of the top 10 most knowledgeable skiiers in here.

Back to the topic. You can't compare a toyota to a BMW, nor can you compare a $300 ski to a $1000 ski. However, when comparing a Lexus (fancy toyota) to a BMW, the better car is a matter of personal preference. It works the same way when comparing skiis. For instance comparing the Z9 to the Metron B5 is a completely personal rating.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I understand that the AC3 is a lot like my Head Monster 77 - and not too shabby. However, the 05/06 Allstars are my on-piste skis, and the AC4 will be for other stuff. I believe that, because of its range of use, the AC4 will be a hotter ski than the AC3.

At the end of the coming season (some time in May '07) ask me again about the AC4 - and I'll either confirm that they're hot or opine that they're not.

What's better than Atomics? Volkls and Elans.

I like Volkls for eastern skiing. I run on Superspeeds for hardpack and ice. great stuff.
If I want to be cheap (I am) get something for unpacked eastern, last year's model, what's recommended? AC3? I thought 724 was a good all-arounder? Suggestions?

bvibert

Staff member
I like Volkls for eastern skiing. I run on Superspeeds for hardpack and ice. great stuff.
If I want to be cheap (I am) get something for unpacked eastern, last year's model, what's recommended? AC3? I thought 724 was a good all-arounder? Suggestions?

AFAIK the AC3 is the new 724, AC4 is the new 724 Pro.

Greg

Staff member
Last year's AC3 replaced the 724 EXP, the AC4 the 724 Pro. I demoed the 724 EXP and it wasn't as lively as last year's AC3 (my current ski). But that's the only thing I remember from a groomer day on early season hard pack. It's hard to make a complete comparison on two similar skis by comparnig a demo for a few hours on one to the better part of a season on the other. With that said, the AC3 is a great ski and its 74mm waist is probably a good compromise for someone that likes natural snow terrain as well as hard pack/groomers.

jack97

Minor addition, AC3 is the new 724 exp.

I have the G3 which was replaced by the 724 exp. Its a good all around ski, I don't like it in the bumps.

jack97

With that said, the AC3 is a great ski and its 74mm waist is probably a good compromise for someone that likes natural snow terrain as well as hard pack/groomers.

Last year's AC3 was 74 mm, I saw that this years (07) AC3 unlimited is 76 mm. Now, I'm curious on how this will handle in hard pack and groomers.

Greg

Staff member
Last year's AC3 was 74 mm, I saw that this years (07) AC3 unlimited is 76 mm. Now, I'm curious on how this will handle in hard pack and groomers.

Dunno. It's getting great reviews. I hope to at least demo it this year.

bigbog

I have the G3 which was replaced by the 724 exp. Its a good all around ski, I don't like it in the bumps.
...But!..jack97, I still contend that the last G3, successor to the original ..just "lively" ..not dense G3, was designed @Oktoberfest! :???:
How Volkl went from a lively advanced 70mm ski to the more dense rental_G3 is stuff for more brilliant minds @Volkl than mine!;-);-).
G3_Brain-Flame Off

jack97

...But!..jack97, I still contend that the last G3, successor to the original ..just "lively" ..not dense G3, was designed @Oktoberfest! :???:
How Volkl went from a lively advanced 70mm ski to the more dense rental_G3 is stuff for more brilliant minds @Volkl than mine!;-);-).
G3_Brain-Flame Off

Some times dense is good when driving thru crud and spring conditions.

kickstand

awf170

I know this is off-topic, sort of, but the BMW-Toyota comparison hit me as funny, since I was just researching Toyotas this morning. Note the number of Toyotas on the Best Bet list. Note there are actually BMW's on the Bad Bets, with not a Toyota in sight:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/used-cars/used-cars-best-and-worst-406/index.htm

I'm also partial to Volkl skis, so I am a fan of German engineering

Bastard! I was trying to find that article but you beat me to it. I was hoping it would shut Dirk up, but I guess not. :roll:

kickstand

Kick Stand, Don't belive everything you read.

I don't, but I believe the Toyota I drive....and the one my brother drives, the two my parents drive, the one my cousin drives, the one his parents drive, the one his sister drives and my parent's next door neighbor, who is the head mechanic at a local Totoya dealership....not one of them, outside of the 10 year old T-100, has been in the shop for anything outside of standard maintenance (60k check-ups, new brakes, etc.). Even then, the T-100 just started having problems 4 weeks ago.

Hey, at least there were a couple of Beemers on the Best Bet list. I just think it's funny that the luxury model and the "SUV" are the ones on the Bad Bet list. Then again, if you can afford a 700-series BMW, you can afford the maintenance.

Birdman829

I also believe that there is no "best brand" of ski. Every brand suits a certain type of skier on a certain type of terrain. I ski Fischer RX9s as my almost everyday ski. It competes most directly with the Atomic SX:11 or SX:10 I suppose. I have skied both of those and while they are great skis, they just didn't feel as good to me as the RX9. In my limited demo experience, Atomics and Volkls tend to have a more damp, heavy, quiet feel while Fischers feel more light and lively to me. I guess that's the kind of ski that just suits me better.

On another note, regarding second skis, I just bought a pair of Volkl Karmas as my soft snow ski. I've heard nothing but good things about them and can't wait to try them :)

Birdman829

Hey, at least there were a couple of Beemers on the Best Bet list. I just think it's funny that the luxury model and the "SUV" are the ones on the Bad Bet list. Then again, if you can afford a 700-series BMW, you can afford the maintenance.

It seems like BMW has always had problems with the 7 Series' reliability. I thought maybe it would be fixed after the redesign, but apparently not.