• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to ski near Whiteface???

Phlogiston

I'm going to Whiteface. The lifts may be closed due to wind.

Leaving from there at 9:30 or 10:00 AM, where is another place to go, to ski a half day?

I realize that much of New England is within a two hour drive; but I want to hear which places are best, and offer half-day, or 'afternoon' tickets?

I need at least one blue groomer to warm up (old injuries in legs and feet). Then I can ski black all day; but more blue terrain is ok too. I do have twin tips and like to do hard things on easy slopes sometimes.
The key is that I be able to leave Iceface at 10 AM, get to the new place and get geared up by 12:30 - or whatever time their half-day ticket starts.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Staff member
Gore seems like the most obvious and accessible choice.

tjf67

gore is closed mon tues wed till te end of the year.
When are you going

Phlogiston

I'm going Wednesday.

I'll be there before 9, and wait and see if the wind keeps the lifts from opening. I should know by about 10 AM if it's a waste.

I could head south, since I have a season pass at Hunter; but I want to take advantage of being so far north, and shoot for some place up there. I used to drive up 87 and shoot over to Killington; I'd like to do something different if I can't get onto Iceface.

Last edited:

skiprob

Get the ferry in Essex, NY over to Vt.

It is hard to get to but is also the most direct.

kcyanks1

If Whiteface is on wind hold there could be issues in VT too. I'd be sure to check reports before taking away 2 hours to drive elsewhere.

tjf67

I think the winds will be down before you would get to another hill. Wait it out and you will be rewarded

highpeaksdrifter

If Whiteface is on wind hold there could be issues in VT too. I'd be sure to check reports before taking away 2 hours to drive elsewhere.

For sure, a little common sense goes a long way.

I think the winds will be down before you would get to another hill. Wait it out and you will be rewarded

You are being too kind, I wasn't even going to respond to this thread because of the Iceface references, but I couldn't help myself. If he think its all ice there why is he going in the first place? Dude wants to go to a place where he thinks there will be wind holds so he can try to scurry around looking for a place close by where there arn't wind holds? This thread has pouser written all over it.

High winds at big mountains happens.

tjf67

For sure, a little common sense goes a long way.

You are being too kind, I wasn't even going to respond to this thread because of the Iceface references, but I couldn't help myself. If he think its all ice there why is he going in the first place? Dude wants to go to a place where he thinks there will be wind holds so he can try to scurry around looking for a place close by where there arn't wind holds? This thread has pouser written all over it.

High winds at big mountains happens.

It would be funny to hear that he runs all over the State only to find out that the hill opened up at noon.

Phlogiston

It would be funny to hear that he runs all over the State only to find out that the hill opened up at noon.

Yep, it would be funny.

As for ice, I like skiing on ice. I fell on ice and hurt my shoulder during my first season of skiing, and after that I decided to get good at skiing on it, and that's what I did.
Now I enjoy it. I carry a sharpening tool with me and use it if my edges get dull.

tjf67

Oh Man

Poly is getting his bad Karma thrown right in his face. the winds are howling up here. I dont care if the winds do calm down today it is going to be a skating rink.

kcyanks1

Poly is getting his bad Karma thrown right in his face. the winds are howling up here. I dont care if the winds do calm down today it is going to be a skating rink.

Iceface! :) (I am kidding -- I know it will likely be icy anywhere after the rain and freeze.)

Phlogiston

The second time I went to Iceface was in the 80's. The temp was -5F; but with the windchill it was -50 at times. There was a chalkboard outside that warming hut on the summit which had that info. Lots of people warming up inside too, after riding the summit chair.

I skied top to bottom all day, at high speed, on my GS skis. Loved every minute of it.

When feeling returned to my feet, one of my toenails was black; and there was a popping, and sharp stab of pain in one of my feet.
I later found out it was a disorder called 'Morton's Neuroma', brought on by skiing so hard on ice and hardpack. I've skied there many times since then, but never in a wind like that, with cold like that.

Now that I hear about them shutting the lifts for wind, I wonder what happened to make them change their policy. Did they all turn into punks? did they have an accident on a lift in the wind, and get sued? did the equipment age, and become less reliable?

What I do know is that I decided not to go this morning. Tomorrow I'll be up at 4 AM, and decide where I want to go. After temps in the teens tonight, even Hunter will be good tomorrow. And Hunter has a chair to the summit that isn't affected by wind, the F lift, that follows a ravine in a fold in the mountain.

Phlogiston

The question is, what's up with the lifts? I skied there in 40 mph winds on the president's holiday back in the 80's, and no lifts were closed.

So, what is it? Are the lifts gay?
Are they shut on breezy days because the employees are worthless piece-of-s*** state employees?

Are they all messed up because they can't get employees of normal intelligence so close to the French Canadian border?

Would they figure out how to keep those lifts running in the wind if they had to make a profit, instead of being subsidized by the taxes of people who live hundreds of miles away, in places like NYC?

Phlogiston

And another thing:

I still plan to ski there before they close for the season; 3,000 vertical feet of ice is like a dream to me and my GS skis.
But I can't do anything if the thumbsucking mouthbreathers who run the place can't figure out how to get me to the top of the mountain.

highpeaksdrifter

The question is, what's up with the lifts? I skied there in 40 mph winds on the president's holiday back in the 80's, and no lifts were closed.

So, what is it? Are the lifts gay? :lol:
Are they shut on breezy days because the employees are worthless piece-of-s*** state employees?

Are they all messed up because they can't get employees of normal intelligence so close to the French Canadian border?

Would they figure out how to keep those lifts running in the wind if they had to make a profit, instead of being subsidized by the taxes of people who live hundreds of miles away, in places like NYC?

And another thing:

I still plan to ski there before they close for the season; 3,000 vertical feet of ice is like a dream to me and my GS skis.
But I can't do anything if the thumbsucking mouthbreathers who run the place can't figure out how to get me to the top of the mountain.

This is getting good, 2 possibilities dude is doing a great job of pulling our leg or he is a total tool who just insulted:

Gays and gay lifts?
State workers
French Canadians – I thought it was the Canadian border BTW

I hope you’re pulling our leg. I’d hate to think someone who is old enough to ski in the 80’s could come up with a childish rant like this.

Will you be there this weekend? I’d like to meet the person behind this thread and take a couple runs with you and see what you are all about.

Last edited:

Dr Skimeister

This is getting good, 2 possibilities dude is doing a great job of pulling our leg or he is a total tool who just insulted:

Gays and gay lifts?
State workers
French Canadians – I thought it was the Canadian border BTW

I hope you’re pulling our leg. I’d hate to think someone who is old enough to ski in the 80’s could come up with a childish rant like this.

Will you be there this weekend? I’d like to meet the person behind this thread and take a couple runs with you and see what you are all about.

Just hope he's back on his meds by then, HPD.