• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

JimG.

Staff member
I’m skeptical that VT is going to tell season pass holders to f**k off this winter, but I’ve been wrong before.

Well, VT isn't technically telling me to F off. They are telling me I have to quarantine for 14 days before I can ski.

That's not workable for me. I would not be at all surprised if the season starts without such a restriction but VT has demonstrated it will not hesitate to shut off my access if/when the virus spikes again. And for all the offers to defer/get credit for a pass if the resort closes there is no stipulation for a passholder to get anything if the resort is open but my state is restricted. So deferral is my only option.

JimG.

Staff member
Perhaps I'm reading this too much like a lawyer, but they couldn't possibly mean while skiing, right? As written it sounds that way.

The email I got specified that you should bring extra masks so you can replace a frozen solid mask with a new one. To me that means you would have to be wearing it while you ski. When I wear a neck gaiter I don't freeze up until I exert myself which only happens while skiing.

JimG.

Staff member
When I was on the phone a couple weeks ago with my propane company in VT to schedule some service on my heater up there, I mentioned that I hadn't even been back up since March due to VT's rules. He laughed and said "you're probably one of the few actually following those rules then. There have been a lot of out of state people up here this summer. Most people do seem to be following the mask and social distancing guidelines though".

This does nothing to inspire me to go to VT.

If you look in the dictionary for the word "example" my picture is there. If only 1 person gets flak for disobeying virus restrictions guaranteed it will be me.

cdskier

If you look in the dictionary for the word "example" my picture is there. If only 1 person gets flak for disobeying virus restrictions guaranteed it will be me.

Hah. I feel the same way. I'm in no rush to go to VT until they change their rules so I can do it properly. I legitimately don't see how many ski areas could actually survive though if VT keeps those rules during ski season (and people were forced to actually follow them).

machski

If you own a place in VT, you can probably get away with it as enforcement seems to be on hotels/rental agencies. If you don't own and want to spend a night(s) and are from a bad county, that will likely prove difficult.

As an aside, ME has not and doesn not sound like it will be waivering from the restrictions on MA and RI residents with regards to a negative test inside 72 hours or 14 day quarantine anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

skijay

I can finally go to VT this weekend as I met the 7 day quarantine & negative COVID Test.

• Travelers arriving to Vermont in a personal vehicle, may complete either a 14-day quarantine or a 7-day quarantine followed by a negative test in their home state and enter Vermont without further quarantine restrictions.

slatham

View from SoVT...

Anecdotal summer better than expect especially August. Lots of pent up demand and since nobody got on a plane it was all drive-to local vacations.

VT quarantine restrictions can really only be enforced for lodging, or if you get involved with an outbreak and they determine you didn't follow rules - this probably has significant ramifications. In my mind, the key is not to have had any exposure as defined by the CDC, which means if you are following the mask and distance rules (and so are the people you come in contact with) you are OK (though yes technically not following the VT rules). In any event, I am working from home so I can more easily quarantine. But I would hope, and expect, them to alter the rules this fall.

Regarding the comment on out of staters coming up to their homes - note that this is allowed without pre-quarantine, you just can't go out to any establishment (i.e. you're effectively in quarantine). So bring your food!

Mask+distance has been well adhered to. It was a bit weak to start the summer - ironically more with the locals - but everyone now is on the bandwagon.

Skiing with masks - I have not seen any official written policy from any resort that says you have to wear a mask while skiing. Around the base area, inside, on line, on lift, yes. On trail, no.

Stay safe.

bizarrefaith

Skiing with masks - I have not seen any official written policy from any resort that says you have to wear a mask while skiing. Around the base area, inside, on line, on lift, yes. On trail, no.

Stay safe.

The Killington announcement said masks are required at all times except when eating or drinking:

"masks covering the nose and mouth are required at all times, except when seated while eating or drinking"

urungus

Vermont says no test necessary if you have quarantined for at least 14 days before arrival. How is a person supposed to prove this, if confronted ?

JimG.

Staff member
If you own a place in VT, you can probably get away with it as enforcement seems to be on hotels/rental agencies. If you don't own and want to spend a night(s) and are from a bad county, that will likely prove difficult.

As an aside, ME has not and doesn not sound like it will be waivering from the restrictions on MA and RI residents with regards to a negative test inside 72 hours or 14 day quarantine anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

I do not own.

Always wanted to and planned to buy a place in NE, rethinking all that big time after this disaster.

thebigo

Vermont says no test necessary if you have quarantined for at least 14 days before arrival. How is a person supposed to prove this, if confronted ?

Other question: what if the county listed on your licence is yellow but you haven't been home in weeks?

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I see a lot of b*tching and moaning about first world problems.

If folks are unhappy they have the option of returning their passes this year.

We should be happy to be able to ski at all. I wouldn't want to still be in the industry dealing with this.

So bitching about people complaining makes you morally superior?

Paying customers have every right to voice their displeasure. For me the frustration isn't with people in the industry. They have to deal with unreasonable power hungry state governments. It's governmental tyranny that pisses me off.

EPB

So bitching about people complaining makes you morally superior?

Paying customers have every right to voice their displeasure. For me the frustration isn't with people in the industry. They have to deal with unreasonable power hungry state governments. It's governmental tyranny that pisses me off.
I think you guys may agree in principal more than you realize (government stuff aside) in that it's not the resort's fault if one can't just show up and use their pass/buy a ticket like they used to do.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

The Killington announcement said masks are required at all times except when eating or drinking:

"masks covering the nose and mouth are required at all times, except when seated while eating or drinking"

Ah yes I saw that too but later on it became obvious they were referring to the base area. Not trials. I may be wrong but that’s how I read it.

slatham

Scouts honor of course. And if you look guilty they do a Spock mind meld.....

And you can quarantine in VT if it’s in a private residence.

BenedictGomez

most in town have been pleasantly surprised with the tourism activity from about mid-July on.

I remember you saying this a week or two ago; the only possible explanation, looking at State of Vermont's COVID19 county map, is that nobody gives a rat's azz about State of Vermont's COVID19 county map.

The email I got specified that you should bring extra masks so you can replace a frozen solid mask with a new one. To me that means you would have to be wearing it while you ski.

If that is actually true, it's the dumbest flipping thing I've heard in the 6 months of SARS-CoV-2, and I've had "my cup runneth over" from dumb things that make no scientific sense over the last 6 months.

BenedictGomez

They dont have to. HIPPA (Clinton Administration, 1996) prevents Vermont from verifying this information. They cant verify you've had a medical procedure, which a COVID19 test falls under. Unless of course, there's some provision that breaks HIPPA during an emergency authorization. I guess we actually may need a real lawyer now! As for the 14 day thing, as discussed, anyone can lie.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think there are certain loopholes in HIPPA that a state might be able to argue in the interest of public health safety.

As an example, a co-worker of mine in NJ had a stroke in February. The hospital had to immediately notify the DMV of the event and his driver's license was suspended pending a doctor's note clearing him to drive again.

It's a slippery slope regarding Covid. I'm just pointing out that HIPPA isn't 100% protective of an individual's health privacy.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app