• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

first real storm?

tumbler

Wawa and Nashoba are going to be the winners of this one.

xlr8r

Looking at the Wachusett live cams, it seems to be a sh*t show there this morning. Neither Polar or Monadnock running yet, and the lines for Minuteman extending all the ways over to Ollie's carpet. Guess I made the right choice to skip buying a ticket for today

KustyTheKlown

saddleback 20-24, sugarloaf 18, river 12. maineahs.

killington says 8 in 48. stratton summit cam was dumping most of yesterday. i think jay said 5.

Zand

Looking at the Wachusett live cams, it seems to be a sh*t show there this morning. Neither Polar or Monadnock running yet, and the lines for Minuteman extending all the ways over to Ollie's carpet. Guess I made the right choice to skip buying a ticket for today
Not to mention the natural snow (which is mainly the reason they opened, the manmade was half gone) is totally frozen over this morning. I'm sure they groomed away some of it but it can't be good there today. Plus check out the dirt they groomed up on Conifer!

Smellytele

Pats peak had about 10 inches on top and 2-3 inches of slush/snow at the bottom. Crazy seeing it is less than 1000' of vert. Skinning up was fun but skiing down while fun had a little crust/ windblown on top making it a little tough to turn.

Zand

Screenshot_20201206-093325.png
Found this on Twitter...thats the Minuteman line wrapping all the way to Ollies and then all the way back to Ski Watch.

KustyTheKlown

until everyone is open and has lots of terrain weekends are gonna be gnarly

I've never taken a long trip to Vermont as an adult. any opportunity for more than 3 consecutive ski days has always been a western trip. until this upcoming 2 weeks. will be interesting to ski empty hills on weekdays, and then maybe sleep in super late on Saturdays and not even start til after noon to avoid the madnesses. wish there was more snow and terrain and that tree skiing was in the cards, but I'm pretty stoked to slow it down and spend a big chunk of time in Vermont. my every weekend trips with midnight drives and weird motels are very rushed and not very relaxed at all (i'm still leaving tuesday night/weds morning at 4 AM for killington bc fuck paying for an extra night of lodging and i happen to enjoy the late night drive a lot).

JDMRoma

Has Burke ever been the jackpot in any storm ever? Lol
Actually YES, Cannon got maybe 6 inches in a storm 2 years ago and Burke got nailed with over 20. I was an awesome day in the woods at Burke !!

mlkrgr

Kinda thought Wawa might be a little narly this morning. I have a bronze pass so I have to wait til 4 pm. It looks a chair here and there is going up empty on the Polar express now with the lines not visible to where that building is (lines on busy days usually go past the building) and no lines are showing at Ollies cam. Looks a little brown at the Polar base so hopefully they can get the guns going soon.

skef

Not to mention the natural snow (which is mainly the reason they opened, the manmade was half gone) is totally frozen over this morning. I'm sure they groomed away some of it but it can't be good there today. Plus check out the dirt they groomed up on Conifer!
The lines were terrible -- I managed to get 7 runs in over 4 hours. Those 4 hours started with a 45 minute wait at the Polar Express for an announcement that its opening would be delayed. That's when the Minuteman line started looping around.

But the snow was actually pretty good. The bottom 50' or so of both Conifer and Ralph's was sort of icy/crusty but there was nice soft stuff above that. Good soft bumps on Conifer at 11:00. Still, wish I'd sat this one out. Every few years it seems I have to relearn the lesson of WaWa and snowy weekends...

Zand

Just saw a video from Sugarloaf...line for the SuperQuad made the lines at Wachusett look mild.

This is why my favorite storms are when it rains at home but snows in the north. You can go get good snow but the masses stay home.