• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Covid Vaccine

dblskifanatic

So I have not been sick for years not even a cold. The last time that I was really sick was about 5 years ago. Throughout the Covid restrictions, my wife and I have not worried and traveled on 10 flights, Been out of the country and a to whole bunch of states. We have been outside doing things for the most part with the exception of having eaten at restaurants multiple times per week since last June and having been to a hand full on indoor concert events. We have met with friends and family in small groups and even recently got to visit my mom who is 91. Final point - I am a no flu vaccine person.

That being said, I am scheduling my vaccination and I feel anxiety! My concerns are 1) Long term effects, 2) Side effects after vaccination, 3) I do not know enough about the vaccine. Some people I know had arm pain and that was it. Others had severe head aches, fever, and/or fatigue. I do not want any of them since I do not like feeling miserable. I am relatively healthy and active with no pre-existing conditions so if I were to get covid I would recover (that's not a 100% thing though), which how my wife and i are living our lives. If I get it I will not be an Announce it on FB type or wear a pin showing that - seems like social media subscribers want people to know.

The news reported that 22% do not want it and 15% or so are still not sure.

Have others felt this way or was it a no brainer and everyone else is doing it?

abc

Some are the former. Some are the latter.

I know that doesn't help. But just to say you're not alone. Not even a minority.

But one story I can share. My physical therapist, who resisted taking a flu shot despite working in a hospital, decided to take the Covid vaccine shot. So I was surprised and asked her why. Turns out, she HAD Covid early last year in the first wave. She said it was such a miserable experience she doesn't want to get it again.

That's why she's taking the Covid vaccine shot despite all her past misgiving with vaccines in general. And even though she's not 100% positive about the new Covid vaccine, she decided she'll accept the risk of whatever the vaccine's side effect, long term or immediate, over the risk of getting Covid again! She said all those uncertainty are still better than the risk of getting Covid a second time.

My cardiologist also got Covid back in March of last year. He also took the vaccine shot. He said similar thought process.

I guess the cool and calm rational "calculation" of the relative risk of the vaccine vs the risk of catching Covid are really only for those who never got sick. For people who gotten sick from it once, they're far more motivated to get the vaccine shot.

To be honest, I'm totally floored by that sentiment.

JimG.

Staff member
So I have not been sick for years not even a cold. The last time that I was really sick was about 5 years ago. Throughout the Covid restrictions, my wife and I have not worried and traveled on 10 flights, Been out of the country and a to whole bunch of states. We have been outside doing things for the most part with the exception of having eaten at restaurants multiple times per week since last June and having been to a hand full on indoor concert events. We have met with friends and family in small groups and even recently got to visit my mom who is 91. Final point - I am a no flu vaccine person.

That being said, I am scheduling my vaccination and I feel anxiety! My concerns are 1) Long term effects, 2) Side effects after vaccination, 3) I do not know enough about the vaccine. Some people I know had arm pain and that was it. Others had severe head aches, fever, and/or fatigue. I do not want any of them since I do not like feeling miserable. I am relatively healthy and active with no pre-existing conditions so if I were to get covid I would recover (that's not a 100% thing though), which how my wife and i are living our lives. If I get it I will not be an Announce it on FB type or wear a pin showing that - seems like social media subscribers want people to know.

The news reported that 22% do not want it and 15% or so are still not sure.

I am getting my first shot tomorrow. I feel very much the same way you do and our habits regarding these things are the same.

My only reason to get it is to shut other people up so I don't have to hear from them about why I haven't been vaccinated. And their in lies my greatest fear, that I am getting it to appease others. That usually does not work out well for me. Personally I don't want it.

JimG.

Staff member
I guess the cool and calm rational "calculation" of the relative risk of the vaccine vs the risk of catching Covid are really only for those who never got sick. For people who gotten sick from it once, they're far more motivated to get the vaccine shot.

To be honest, I'm totally floored by that sentiment.
Guess is a good description. Do you have any actual data to back up this guess?

I know several people who have had COVID who see no reason to get vaccinated. Perhaps they had mild cases. I suspect I already had it early last year but because nobody would give me a test then because "I was not sick" I'll never know for sure. At this point I don't care anymore.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Having seen what my brother went through with Covid (only 53) and then what I've dealt with my customers working in healthcare, zero fear and zero nervousness . I signed up as soon as I was able. Got my first dose the last week of January.

Slightly sore arm first shot. Second had a more severe reaction after about 18 hours, but it only lasted less than a day. Tired, achy, but no fever.

Edd

Naturally you’re getting the vaccine so that you don’t get COVID but you’re getting it for others around you just as much. The more unvaccinated people there are, the more opportunity there will be for variants to develop, and eventually the variants could grow vaccine resistant.

ScottySkis

I got both shots and I drank lotts of water nothing bothered me vaccine shots but I always stay hydrated by drinking on every day 60 to 100 ozenez of H2O

mikec142

A couple of thoughts...I have received both doses of Pfizer with no ill effects other than a sore arm. My wife received Moderna and 24 hours after the second shot, she ran a fever that lasted for a day. All the anecdotal stories I've heard have been related to fevers and flu like symptoms after the second Moderna shot. That said, this is anecdotal only.

My two kids now have their second shots as do my parents and my in-laws. We all spend a lot of time together so this has been a real relief for all of us. I would say that we all (my extended family) took calculated risks with regard to our behavior. But now that we are all vaxxed, it feels like a new lease on life. Even though our lives weren't nearly as upended as others, there was still the feeling of a weight being lifted after we received the vaccines.

As far as not knowing enough about it...I get it and sympathize. At a certain level, there is an element of trust. I would say the following. I don't know what's in a hot dog, but I still eat them. When I go to the dentist and he says I have a cavity, I don't debate him, I just get it filled. I'm well versed in the nuances of my profession. And I'm smart enough to realize I'm not an expert in epidemiology. So I will listen to the scientists (not the politicians) and trust that they get it right.

I'm sure that I haven't lowered your anxiety level, but I hope that my positive experience with the vaccine helps you in some way.

Just a quick edit (not trying to insert politics or other taboo subjects) to add that the divide in our country...politics, religion, wealth, etc., etc. hasn't helped to raise the trust level for the average citizen which is a shame and leads to those percentages of people who don't want/trust the vaccine.

Last edited:

abc

Do you have any actual data to back up this guess?
Do you? To the contrary?

Don't forget the most famous case, President Trump. He had Covid. Yet he took the Vaccine. Why? He who constantly downplay the virus and the disease. Yet he took the vaccine. He never explain it to anyone.

I know several people who have had COVID who see no reason to get vaccinated. Perhaps they had mild cases. I suspect I already had it early last year but because nobody would give me a test then because "I was not sick" I'll never know for sure. At this point I don't care anymore.
If you're "suspecting" you had it, it's either not that severe, or not Covid at all. I felt a sick twice during the 1 year of lock down. But my antibody test came out negative. So I did NOT have it, despite I felt rather strongly I "had it"!

Once the antibody test result came out, it was an easy decision for me.

I had to go to see doctors for a lot of catch-up health checks and such post vaccination. Not having to worry about it myself, and not having to worry about seeing my 85 year old Mom in the same time frame, was worth the worry of getting the vaccine.

dblskifanatic

I had to go to see doctors for a lot of catch-up health checks and such post vaccination. Not having to worry about it myself, and not having to worry about seeing my 85 year old Mom in the same time frame, was worth the worry of getting the vaccine.

I am sure she has been vaccinated right? So she was protected either way. If someone is vaccinated but you are not like when I got to see my mom where she was and I was not vaccinated. My mom has the protection not to mention she got Covid at 90 and was asymptomatic. Tested positive for three weeks in June last year.

abc

Yes, my Mom got vaccinated long before I qualify. Still, vaccine isn't 100%. So if I get a big load of the virus, it's a bit more risky.

On the other hand, if all the healthcare workers are vaccinated, I would have nothing to worry about when going to the hospital. But unfortunately, I'm told about 1/3 of them choose not to take the vaccine.

So, I understand why you're anxious about the vaccination. I was too. But in the end, I'm glad I did it. And after hearing from those who HAD Covid and CHOOSE to get vaccinated, I would have been more convinced of my decision (but I didn't hear about their stories until I already gotten the vaccine. so it's just a confirmation of my decision, not a motivation to get vaccinated)

I had Covid in January. Sick for a week, but not knocked down. No taste for 8 weeks. Feel no need for the vaccine. How many have gotten Covid twice? Very few. Too many questions about the shot, however, like Jim G the pressue is huge to get vaciinated.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I had Covid in January. Sick for a week, but not knocked down. No taste for 8 weeks. Feel no need for the vaccine. How many have gotten Covid twice? Very few. Too many questions about the shot, however, like Jim G the pressue is huge to get vaciinated.
Interesting perspective

I mentioned my brother having Covid above. He was not so "lucky" as you were. Never hospitalized, but three weeks pretty much bedridden. That was followed by several months of breathing being off and brain fog.

So for him, the choice on vaccine was twofold. He wanted to potentially further minimize his chance of getting sick like that again as well as minimize his risk of passing it on to others if he did get sick again.

jimk

For me, getting the covid vaccine was a no brainer. I've been getting the flu shot for decades with no ill effects. One of the motivations I always had was that I didn't want to get the flu while on a ski trip. Why wouldn't I get vaccinated for something potentially far worse than the flu?
I got the moderna and went skiing the day after both shots. Had mild arm pain each time. Got a headache about 24hrs after the second shot, but that could have been the result of being out in the sun all day skiing. One tylenol took care of the headache.
My wife got the pfizer and was down for a couple days after each shot, achy, tired etc. She is not particularly fitness oriented or active. She normally does not get the flu vaccine. But she was very afraid of covid and that motivated her to get vaccinated. Psychologically, the vaccine has really helped her get over her fear of catching covid and return to more normal activities like shopping in stores and going to church.
So there are two responses your question/concern.
Also, I like Ed's comment that you are not just getting vaccinated for yourself, but also to help all of society end the pandemic.

PS: Snowbird was good yesterday:
aaron back.jpg

Last edited:

trackbiker

My concerns are 1) Long term effects, 2) Side effects after vaccination, 3) I do not know enough about the vaccine. Some people I know had arm pain and that was it. Others had severe head aches, fever, and/or fatigue. I do not want any of them since I do not like feeling miserable.
I would be more worried about the long term affects from the virus than the vaccine. They are studying what they call "Long Haulers" now who experience long term affects from the virus.

cdskier

I would be more worried about the long term affects from the virus than the vaccine. They are studying what they call "Long Haulers" now who experience long term affects from the virus.

As I was scrolling through the thread this is the exact point I wanted to make before I saw it was already made. It baffles my mind a bit that people are worried about long term effects from a vaccine but not from the virus itself.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit anxious about the side effects from the vaccine itself (but still plan to get it as soon as I'm back in NJ and can get an appointment). But I also have seen first-hand that "young" people are not as unaffected by the virus as people tend to think. My brother and his wife both had COVID last year. They're both in their early to mid 30s. While neither was hospitalized, both said it was terrible and they would never wish it on anyone. My sister-in-law still says things don't always smell/taste right even now a year later. And my brother still says he gets winded sometimes from doing things that wouldn't have bothered him pre-COVID.

abc

As I was scrolling through the thread this is the exact point I wanted to make before I saw it was already made. It baffles my mind a bit that people are worried about long term effects from a vaccine but not from the virus itself.
Human are preprogrammed to focus on the immediate first.

Thinking "long term" is a learned behavior. Large percentage of the population never actually master it. So it's not that people actually "worry" about long term effects of the vaccine. They just never comprehend the long term ill-effect of the virus. As a result, they can't fathom the need for vaccine.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I don't fault anyone for not getting the vaccine after all it's a personal choice and people shouldn't be bullied into a decision. There have been some serious side effects with people who have underlying health issues or have had Covid . My mother survived it at 95 but I don't think she should get the vaccine with all her other issues .
I recently read a story about paralysis in an epileptic patient . I know someone who didn't have Covid and got the vaccine, she's having motor skill issues months later.
Chances are your not going to have issues but none the less is a shitty choice to be forced to make .

I have a close friend who was diagnosed a week and a half ago ,his girlfriend works for someone who was reckless and irresponsible after having symptoms and told "You look horrible you should go home " he infected three people who work for him . I'd compare that to drunk driving ....waiting for the lawyers to get involved LOL . My friend said 2 weeks ago "I won't get it " . No taste or smell ,spiking fevers and coughing yet ,he's having a tough time ,I'm concerned for him he's a bit overweight.

My last flu shot was probably 4years ago and I had a horrible reaction so I'm nervous about getting my first dose tomorrow .

As for long term who knows but I do remember Vioxx . Time will tell

abc

For once, I feel strongly about NOT forcing people to take the vaccine.

It's an "emergency" vaccine. Development time was short. So who knows.

But on the other hand, the virus is vicious and extremely easy to spread. Further more, the long term after effect of the virus is not yet fully known, except what we already know is quite a concern. Up to 30% of the survivors still have issues 3(6?) months later.

So take the risk with the virus? Or take a chance of the vaccine? The risk calculation is not trivial.

JimG.

Staff member
You get where I'm coming from. I know others who got COVID and recovered no problem, even less severe than you.

Moot point now, I got my first dose today. Other than a mild sore spot on my arm no biggie.

And while I understand the concern others feel I'm sorry but my personal experiences just don't justify the level of fear I see. I think it's ridiculous.