• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2021-22 Season Passes

KustyTheKlown

My life is worth more than that! ;)

I drove that stretch 4 times now. The first time, I drove it in daylight. After seeing clearly what it's like, I made my subsequent plans for the other 3 drive in daylight too.

To base out of west yellowstone means driving it after a day of skiing, probably in the dark (except in late spring). I wouldn't risk it.

If I were strap for cash, I'd base out of Bozeman instead. At least from Bozeman, there's a bus (for something like a few bucks). I did that once. Ate breakfast while on the bus in the morning going there. Took a nap on the way back after skiing.

Big Sky lodging is really expensive. But it's worth it.

yea, ive stayed in bozeman and have taken the bus for 2 days while awaiting the rest of my friends and then we moved into a sick slopeside house

the west yellowstone stay was kind of last minute. i had an xmas-ish trip to cottonwoods booked and there was no snow. waited as long as I could before pulling the trigger on a big sky audible. coming a long ways from the south, stopping at west yellowstone and staying in very cheap but decent lodging had an appeal.

abc

yea, ive stayed in bozeman and have taken the bus for 2 days while awaiting the rest of my friends and then we moved into a sick slopeside house

the west yellowstone stay was kind of last minute. i had an xmas-ish trip to cottonwoods booked and there was no snow. waited as long as I could before pulling the trigger on a big sky audible. coming a long ways from the south, stopping at west yellowstone and staying in very cheap but decent lodging had an appeal.
I used to fantasized doing Big Sky the super dirt bag way:

Flight into Bozeman
Get a one-way bus from airport straight to Big Sky (cost a bit more, something like $30)
Stash the luggage and go ski
Leave the ski at ski-check overnight at end of day (forgot the price, used to be only a few bucks)
Take the bus to downtown Bozeman, with non-ski luggage
Get the motel shuttle to pick up from bus station (even low end motels like Motel 6 offer that)

Bus back and forth from Bozeman to Big Sky for however many days of skiing (a few bucks each way)

Last day of skiing, take the bus straight from Big Sky to airport. (another bus fee)
Depending on the flight schedule, either fly off right away or bed down at an airport motel (free shuttle to airport usually) till the next morning

I never actually did it because I end up always combining Big Sky with Jackson. So a car was always needed.

Smellytele

I used to fantasized doing Big Sky the super dirt bag way:

Flight into Bozeman
Get a one-way bus from airport straight to Big Sky (cost a bit more, something like $30)
Stash the luggage and go ski
Leave the ski at ski-check overnight at end of day (forgot the price, used to be only a few bucks)
Take the bus to downtown Bozeman, with non-ski luggage
Get the motel shuttle to pick up from bus station (even low end motels like Motel 6 offer that)

Bus back and forth from Bozeman to Big Sky for however many days of skiing (a few bucks each way)

Last day of skiing, take the bus straight from Big Sky to airport. (another bus fee)
Depending on the flight schedule, either fly off right away or bed down at an airport motel (free shuttle to airport usually) till the next morning

I never actually did it because I end up always combining Big Sky with Jackson. So a car was always needed.
The super dirt bag thing is more like drive there in your 1990’s Ford ranger with a cap and sleep in the parking lot. Once you mention flying there dirt bag is not in the vocabulary.

abc

The super dirt bag thing is more like drive there in your 1990’s Ford ranger with a cap and sleep in the parking lot. Once you mention flying there dirt bag is not in the vocabulary.
No, that's only true when you have no job and can afford the time.

Otherwise, it cost a lot more with the wage lost for the days spent driving.

And then, there's the gas cost.

Smellytele

No, that's only true when you have no job and can afford the time.

Otherwise, it cost a lot more with the wage lost for the days spent driving.
Leave Friday get there by Sunday ski all week leave Friday morning home by sunday. 6 days of vacation. We are talking dirt bag not privileged rich who dreams of being a dirt bag.

abc

Leave Friday get there by Sunday ski all week leave Friday morning home by sunday. 6 days of vacation. We are talking dirt bag not privileged rich who dreams of being a dirt bag.
You've used 6 working days to only ski 5 days! How much does that cost in lost wages? Go ahead and use minimum wage...;)

Many times, being cheap actually cost more. Some of those "privileged rich" got to be such because they can figure that out.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
my mistake. dunno why i thought it was indy. prob my bozeman friend talking about it to me in general when I was dreaming up this big Montana Idaho utah loop
OK. Still worth a visit. Day tickets are like $50.00. It is more than meets the eye.

KustyTheKlown

OK. Still worth a visit. Day tickets are like $50.00. It is more than meets the eye.

cool, thats the plan for the big trip next season. know anything about the drive from missoula to the idaho ski areas? looks like it may be very sketchy and remote.

jaytrem

cool, thats the plan for the big trip next season. know anything about the drive from missoula to the idaho ski areas? looks like it may be very sketchy and remote.
Easy ride to Lost Trail and a bunch of MT areas (Snowbowl, Maverick, Discovery, Great Divide, Whitefish, Blacktail, Lookout. If you're looking to get to Brundage/Tamarack/Soldier/Bogus, Boise would be a much better choice. So many fun areas out there, you're probably better off gong to ones that are closer to each other even if you have to buy day tix (hopefully discounted). Will be interesting to see if Liftopia can make a bit of a come back next year. They had a LOT less tickets available this year, but I still purchased 5 from them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The drive from Disco to Missoula is not bad--about an hour. From Missoula south, no idea, but you are right that it is the MIDDLE of nowhere. A friend skied Lost Trail Powder Mountain and loved it.

drjeff

Hadn't seen this before today: Ikon "first tracks" benefit. I assume that's something like an hour before the general public?
Still the exact details to be worked out. But it's only 1 day in the month of Jan, Feb, and March, at resorts owned by Alterra, not IKON partner resorts owned by other companies, and they will designate ahead of time as which days those will be. And no time duration for how much earlier than general public 1st chair access has been stated based on the released info put out thus far. And it seems to infer that it will just be certain lift(s) and/or specific parts of the mountain opening up early, not the entire mountain

KustyTheKlown

ya, super bravo opening an extra 30 minutes early for ikon holders on one likely weekday per month in prime of season. a nice gesture, but doesn't move the needle on anyone's pass purchase

p_levert

Vail is now listing prices for their 1-7 day restricted passes. The prices are reasonable. If you accept the holiday blackout (11 total days) and go with limited resort selection (excludes Vail/Beav/Breck/Whistler/PC and partners) the cost ranges from $57/day to $67/day. I consider this a great way to scoop up some tickets for Stowe or Hunter or Okemo. Also works at Keystone and CB in Colorado and *all* of the Tahoe resorts. Really, what's not to like? I am going to buy a few of these to go with my Ikon base pass.

cdskier

ya, super bravo opening an extra 30 minutes early for ikon holders on one likely weekday per month in prime of season. a nice gesture, but doesn't move the needle on anyone's pass purchase
Honestly even if it was a weekend day I don't see it making that much difference for the most part. I'm regularly there around 8am on weekends and there really aren't that many people generally speaking for the first hour many days (with the exception of a powder day). And if most of the people that are regularly there early like me are pass-holders anyway, then it is still mostly the same group of people that just get to start a little earlier.

Edd

Epic Veterans pass purchased. Probably going to get a cheap pass to cover BW too. Looking forward to hitting the VT spots next year.

Razor

As a senior, how can you beat the Epic Northeast Midweek pass for $270? Sure, there are a few holiday blackouts and you're limited to 5 days at Stowe, but if you're a midweek skier, you don't want to do holidays and weekends anyway.

Zand

Limited amount of Wachusett passes went on sale today and created a total bum rush to the site, so good luck getting one if you want one.

If they ever restore night skiing hours to what they used to be, I'd consider getting a pass again but raising prices and reducing hours doesn't sit well with me.

thetrailboss

Staff member
𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏-𝟐𝟐 𝐀𝐋𝐓𝐀 𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐎𝐍 𝐒𝐀𝐋𝐄 𝐍𝐎𝐖--> www.alta.com/tickets-and-passes
𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐀𝐥𝐭𝐚'𝐬 𝐖𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐝 & 𝐇𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐒𝐤𝐢𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞
Mainly unchanged for 83 winters, skiing at Alta still delivers deep snowfall, sweeping mountain views and a laid-back vibe that generations of skiers fondly recall. What has changed is the weekend and holiday skiing experience at Alta. And while we can't go back in time, we are making changes to manage skier demand to preserve the Alta skiing experience going forward. Implementing a paid parking reservation system on weekends & holidays is a step in that direction.
𝐖𝐡𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐝 & 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬?
• Provides Alta skiers the assurance that there will be a parking space before driving up the canyon
• Eases early morning traffic congestion
• Alta skiers will no longer need to arrive hours before first chair to secure a parking spot
• Manage the ski experience by limiting the number of skiers to available terrain & lift capacity
𝐀𝐥𝐭𝐚 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐤𝐬:
• Free weekend & holiday parking reservations for qualifying Alta passholders
• New Family & Friends benefits
• 50% off day tickets at 26 partner resorts
• $269 Ikon Base Pass add-on
𝐏𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐞-𝐨𝐟-𝐌𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐏𝐮𝐫𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠
Peace-of-Mind purchasing means that Alta will provide a full refund, no questions asked, for unused 2021-22 Season Passes until December 1st, 2021. Refunds will be compensated at the dollar amount paid.
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐅𝐀𝐐𝐬: www.alta.com/tickets-and-passes/season-pass-faqs
𝐒𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐁𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐟𝐢𝐭𝐬: www.alta.com/tickets-and-passes/benefits
𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬: www.alta.com/parking-reservations