• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking 4 all mountain womens ski ... have Volkl Fuego Skis now

PianoGirl

I am an advanced skiier and have been skiiing on a hardpack/carving ski.... the Volkl Fuego.... for several years now.... i love them.... i ski almost exclusively groomed trails and feel i ski them fairly confidently ... even the double diamonds at KIllington and Hunter..... but noticed that when snow is not groomed, not hard pack and is cruddy or any depth of snow.... i struggle.

I instinctively carve the ski as this is how i was trained through other great skiiers I frequented with when i learned.

I bought a pair of Pearl 88s but they just feel very stiff to me and i'm going to get rid of them....

Any advice on a more playful ski i should try as a 2nd pair that is all mountain but more playful and not extremely wide planks but will help me with smear skiiing and more control when the trails are not nicely groomed ?

x10003q

I am an advanced skiier and have been skiiing on a hardpack/carving ski.... the Volkl Fuego.... for several years now.... i love them.... i ski almost exclusively groomed trails and feel i ski them fairly confidently ... even the double diamonds at KIllington and Hunter..... but noticed that when snow is not groomed, not hard pack and is cruddy or any depth of snow.... i struggle.

I instinctively carve the ski as this is how i was trained through other great skiiers I frequented with when i learned.

I bought a pair of Pearl 88s but they just feel very stiff to me and i'm going to get rid of them....

Any advice on a more playful ski i should try as a 2nd pair that is all mountain but more playful and not extremely wide planks but will help me with smear skiiing and more control when the trails are not nicely groomed ?
You might find better answers at :

p_levert

Planogirl as in Plano, TX? Anyway, I ski on the Volkl Kanjos and I love them. Apparently the Kanjos are quite similar to the Volkl Yumi's, a woman's ski. So you might want to check out the Yumi's. These skis are very all mountain and I love them for quick turns in the trees.

Dickc

I don't know where you are based, but if you can get to Sunday River at Thanksgiving, they have their annual demo days then. I do not see it listed yet, so keep checking them. Other moountains also have demo days. Many manufacturers show up for these, and the demo ticket is in the 10-15 dollar range and you get to try as many skis as you want. I've found skis I really liked, and skis I could not wait to give back to the reps, as well as a broad range in between. It's way cheaper than buying and ditching skis.

abc

Is that a typo for Black Pearl? (I'm not the most knowledgeable in skis)

If you're the kind that love or hate a ski, you'll do best to demo.

Hawk

My wife demo'd and tested about 15 skies. She is a strong skier. She bought the Volkl Secret 102's and they are by far the best ski she ever owned, per her. I will say I have seen a marked improvement in her speed and minuverability in all kinds of conditions. Demo them and see.

Volkl Secret 102

skiur

Planogirl as in Plano, TX? Anyway, I ski on the Volkl Kanjos and I love them. Apparently the Kanjos are quite similar to the Volkl Yumi's, a woman's ski. So you might want to check out the Yumi's. These skis are very all mountain and I love them for quick turns in the trees.

Pianogirl, not Plano.

mister moose

Keep in mind that different skiers have different stances and technique, so a ski that is loved by one will be despised by another. Otherwise we'd all be on the same ski.

Another good ski review/comparison site is skitalk.com, a number of reviewers are women.

It's hard to say given that "carve" means different things to different people, but the gist of your self description sounds like you might be skiing yourself into one turn style. In addition to finding a ski you like, think about expanding your turn skills/versatility.

As you transition from smooth corduroy to choppier cruddy conditions, you need

More strength to handle sudden soft snow load changes and plow/steer through
Quicker reflexes to get you to the needed adaption/changes
Better tactics to handle the varied conditions
Better independent foot ability
And of course a good unbroken chain of control from leg to boot to binding to ski to edge.

Notice none of those specify a brand or width ski.

Last edited:

PianoGirl

Thank you all for the input! Decided to go with the Volkl Secret 92. I love carving and was trained by a retired racer and mostly ski on-piste.. got a deal i could not refuse!

I'm now going to look to replace my old Tecnica Attiva Diablo boots! :)

Thank you all for the input! Decided to go with the Volkl Secret 92. I love carving and was trained by a retired racer and mostly ski on-piste.. got a deal i could not refuse!

I'm now going to look to replace my old Tecnica Attiva Diablo boots! :)
should have went with the new version 96 :) I'm sure you'll do fine with the old 92's though.