• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Some Good Personal News

KustyTheKlown

thats awesome your apartment is so affordable and well situated for alta and the bus

i havent lived in slc/cottonwood heights but ive visited plenty, including a few visits to stay with a friend who lived in the sugarhouse area and worked in SLC, and twice without a car - i think you'll ultimately want a car for your day to day life and errands, not necessarily for getting up the canyon. even if you just get a little old civic for a few grand.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
thats awesome your apartment is so affordable and well situated for alta and the bus

i havent lived in slc/cottonwood heights but ive visited plenty, including a few visits to stay with a friend who lived in the sugarhouse area and worked in SLC, and twice without a car - i think you'll ultimately want a car for your day to day life and errands, not necessarily for getting up the canyon. even if you just get a little old civic for a few grand.

Yeah I'll certainly get one down the road. The way I see it, it's no much a save the $$$ thing... it's more of "well if I'm going up the canyon 29/30 days a month why not just take the free direct bus".

snoseek

I blew out my clutch a few winters back and almost everything was parallel and went a few weeks riding bus and taking Uber. After I bought a car I only drive it when I needed to get outta town and continued to mostly rude the bus and take Uber. Utah doesn't fuck around with dui so if I planned on even having one drink it was Uber. They run real cheap and the bus runs steady

jimk

Base of LCC, April 2021. We'll be counting on you to keep us up to date on the status of the new gondola/bus lane projects.
apr 27 spring.jpg

jimk

Someday maybe I'll post photos of "friends & acquaintances" I've skied with. It would be more than 1000 photos.

BenedictGomez

The UT population growth in the last decade was the slowest pace it's been in 30 years or something. The boom won't last forever.

I'm not going to look into that to verify, but if we assume it's 100% true, it's a bit deceptive use of statistics.

Utah’s population grew faster than that of any other state between 2010 and 2020.

jimk

@ss20 hoping not to take your thread too far off topic or make it all about me and my photos :devilish:, but here are a few shots taken from areas near the mouth of LCC in Utah. For more non-ski photos like these from the area around the Salt Lake Valley see HERE.

This photo was taken while I was cycling along the Jordan River bike/walk Trail from a spot just west of I15 at Thanksgiving Point Golf Club and not far from Sandy/South Jordan. The view is looking East toward the Wasatch Mtns. The entrance to LCC is just a bit left beyond the edge of this photo.
jrt thgvg pt clubhouse.jpg
This view of the entrance to LCC was taken from a rural area near Sandy, UT. Jordan River again, is in the foreground. It's not much more than a creek in many places.
lcc south jordan.jpg
This view of the entrance to LCC (right edge of photo) was taken from Dimple Dell Park near Granite, UT. Dimple is a fun place for a walk or easy mountain bike session.
dimple bike purple.jpg

This is another view from Dimple Dell Park, looking west. The mountains across the Salt Lake Valley are called the Oquirrh (oaker) Mountains. No ski areas there, but they are almost as tall as the Wasatch.
dimple bike pug.jpg

Last edited: